It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Pythons Could Spread Quickly Across South

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Giant Pythons Could Spread Quickly Across South

www.foxnews.com

As if killer bees and kudzu weren't enough, the southern United States may soon have another invasive species to contend with — giant Burmese pythons capable of swallowing deer and alligators whole.

Approximately 30,000 of the big snakes, which can reach 30 feet and 200 pounds, already live wild in Florida's Everglades, thanks to thick-headed pet owners who've released them into the swamps when they've grown too large to keep at home.

But now the U.S. Geological Survey says Florida is not the only place the Burmese python can thrive.

In fact, the big beasts, which are not poisonous and rarely attack humans, could live happily in the entire southern third of the country, from Southern California to Texas and the Lower Mississippi Valley and up the Eastern Seaboard to Chesapeake Bay.

All it would take would be enough pet releases in various locations to create a breeding population.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
There is an annoying lap dog across the street from me that tries to bite my heels every time I go out. I wouldn't mind feeding to a python... or its owner for that matter.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join