It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: I Gave Up Golf For The Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Bush: I Gave Up Golf For The Troops

www.huffingtonpost.com

As violence in Iraq continues -- clashes today left 11 dead and 19 injured -- President Bush has for the first time revealed the great sacrifice he's made for the sake of our soldiers: he's given up golf.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
How white of him... I want to throw up.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
In all fairness, the quote is taken a little out of context.

He adds:

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

I don't have much of a problem with this because Presidents play golf, some have during wartime even. There are a lot of things to dislike about Dubya, but this is a little nit-picky IMO.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Perhaps it is... I read it differently though... my take on it is more like how shallow of him... as if giving up golf for the troops is some sort of meaningful gesture....

.... its kinda like giving up guilt for lent.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
.....and I bet he was crap at that too

The level of sacrifice shown by our great leaders is to be commended in these dark times. He could take up something else, football for instance (soccer to you colonials) but he's scored so many own goals already in his presidency he'd probably suck at that too.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

The way I see articles such as this is that they're meant to increase the divide between Americans, as if it can get any wider!
Battles need to be chosen more wisely if we're ever gonna decrease the divide and get our country back. Unfortunately, the majority is too stupid to realize this.

BTW Grover, that was not meant as a shot at you, it's just a philosophy of mine.
We need to stop instantaneously reacting to everything based on ideology, that goes for everyone.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
strange, Operation Enduring Freedom started in October of 2001...

I guess he needed to warm down for a couple years, don't want to get a cramp now...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Oh I didn't take it personally.

And while I deeply despise bush minor its not based on any specific political ideology of mine... i.e. Republican or Democrat, independant or libitarian... rather, it is rooted in my deep feeling that his (and his owners) policies are a disaster for not only us as a country but for the whole world as well... and from what I have seen, they hold true.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Keith Olberman goes crazy over this issue... but better yet, they dug up photos of Bush playing golf 2 months after he claims he stopped (in 2003).

fyi, its a really long rant, so if you ant to hear the whole golf rant, skip to 7:30.

if you want to see the pictures, skip to 10:20

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Ya know what really bites my butt about bush minor... that the man is a compulsive liar. He lies when he doesn't even have to.

He claimed in his autobiography that Billy Graham converted him to fundamentalism in 1985 (I believe) when it was actually Arthur Blessitt in 1984...

He claimed that his 2003 thanksgiving trip to Iraq was almost aborted because a British airways flight radioed them asking if they were Air Force One... They were flying at night with the shades closed so no one could see them... Air Force One has no markings identifying it as such and there was as confirmed by British Airways, no flight of theirs within 100 miles of them.

To list 2 of his most confirmable ones.

The list of his lies is almost endless.

Like I said giving up golf for the troops is a lot like giving up guilt for lent... it is a totally meaningless gesture.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is GREAT:

Mr. Bush, I hate to break it to you 6 1/2 years after you yoked this nation and your place in history to the wrong war, in the wrong place, against the wrong people, but the war in Iraq is not about you.

It is not, Mr. Bush, about your grief when American after American comes home in a box.

It is not, Mr. Bush, about what your addled brain has produced in the way of paranoid delusions of risks that do not exist, ready to be activated if some Democrat, and not your twin Mr. McCain, succeeds you.

The war in Iraq, your war, Mr. Bush, is about how you accomplished the derangement of two nations, and how you helped funnel billions of taxpayer dollars to lascivious and perennially thirsty corporations like Halliburton and Blackwater, and how you sent 4,000 Americans to their deaths for nothing.

It is not, Mr. Bush, about your golf game! And, sir, if you have any hopes that next Jan. 20 will not be celebrated as a day of soul-wrenching, heart-felt thanksgiving, because your faithless stewardship of this presidency will have finally come to a merciful end, this last piece of advice:

When somebody asks you, sir, about Democrats who must now pull this country back from the abyss you have placed us at ...

When somebody asks you, sir, about the cooked books and faked threats you foisted on a sincere and frightened nation ...

When somebody asks you, sir, about your gallant, noble, self-abdicating sacrifice of your golf game so as to soothe the families of the war dead.

This advice, Mr. Bush: Shut the hell up!

From Keith Obermann on his show Countdown.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I caught that Olberman rant last night. That was absolutely priceless. He shredded the Pinnochio Decider into confetti.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
For a second it said Bush had given up Gulf. Oh well.

BTW Olberman's rant failed to point out Bush coercing Blair to stage a false flag attack on a 'UN plane' as pretext to invade Iraq. Linkies in case u think i'm just making that up.... www.independent.co.uk...

Olberman comes off as decoy fluff. Any 'commentator' worth his microphone would be ripping apart the inside job(s) afaic, and that ain't happening anywhere I can see in MSneyland.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Now give up you life for the sanity and wellbeing of the entire world please.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Just a reminder of how elitist L'il George really is. In a situation where men (and women) are dying to defend our country, in a war that has gone from honorable to fruitless in the minds of most Americans, where economic collapse is stalking us like some shadowy hell-hound, he makes the 'ultimate' sacrifice. He's not gonna wear silly pants and ride around on a electric cart trying to hit little balls into little holes.

Yes, it's a sacrifice. Yes, golf is usually played by power brokers. Yes, it is a good idea not to play it while his charges are dying without a clear objective. But to most Americans, this is so small a sacrifice that it is worse than meaningless, it is an insult. Bush should know this, and would if he were in touch with the people.

I wish I could go bowling again. I gave that up in order to work so my family would have food to eat. I gave up playing pool (billiards to some) for the same reason. I never told anyone I was stopping these things, because they are insignificant compared to the cause I was giving them up for. Actually, I don't remember ever making an actual decision to give up anything like that. I just stopped because they were counterproductive to my family's needs.

I guess Heir Bush sees golf as something much more critical to his survival than I see bowling to mine. Either that, or he thinks we're really really really dumb...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join