It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big wont take little

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Why is it the sun with its gravity wont pull in the planets with their gravities?

My take on it: I think gravities of objects cause anti-gravity at the edge of their touching gravity fields because the objects wont collide into each other. Thus maybe I've discovered anti-gravity and what causes it.

If an object is traveling at enough forceful speed it could bypass the making of an anti-gravity field of cosmic order, which would have been put into work in between the two objects, and become of the gravity of the other object it is to collide into because of forceful speed and plus now because of being of one gravity. Yeah, I'm saying the speeding object looses it's own gravity in exchange for the other object's gravity.

There is cosmic order per object put out on its own and cosmic chaos per object put out on its own. Both go hand in hand and can be altered depending on certian things like the way objects interact because of different factors.

The real question is what determines the strength of gravity to an object? You weigh an amount here on earth, but on the moon or another planet I heard you'd weigh different. What's up with that?

By the way, if the sun was a solid surface planet would it still have the other planets orbiting it? And how much would you weigh if you could stand on the sun if it wouldnt kill you like if it was a solid suface planet? Are there any discovered solar systems that dont have suns in their center because they have a planet in the center?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Everything that has mass is affected by gravity and affects other objects with mass.

If you are standing near a large building, although you not feel it because of it's weakness, there is a force pushing you to the building and another pushing the building to you.

This can be (and I think it was) confirmed by using a very long pendulum near a very large mountain; the mass of the mountain is big enough to affect the verticality of the pendulum. The pendulum attracts the mountain with the same force, but obviously it can not move the mountain.

The same thing (in a simplistic view) happens with the planets.

The Sun attracts all the planets (that is why they do not go away from the Solar system, remember that the Earth, for example, is moving at 107,218 km/h) and the planets attract the Sun, but the larger affect the smaller more than vice-versa.

The same applies to planets and their satellites, if the Moon was not moving it would fall to Earth, but if it were moving faster it would go away.

If objects created their own "anti-gravity" then satellites wouldn't fall to Earth, right?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Mabus, can't add too much more than ArMaP but some extra things to think about when regarding weight and gravity...

Originally posted by Mabus
Why is it the sun with its gravity wont pull in the planets with their gravities?
The real question is what determines the strength of gravity to an object? You weigh an amount here on earth, but on the moon or another planet I heard you'd weigh different. What's up with that?

The strength of gravity is soley determined by the amount of mass (and therefore energy) an object has. This is because our current theory of gravity, general relativity, tell us that what we experience as a gravitational force is really just a bending or curvature of spacetime caused directly by the presence of matter or energy.

Don't get confused with weight and mass they are NOT the same thing at all. Rest mass of an object doesn't change weight is soley the product of mass x gravitational field strength which is why an object can have the same mass here and on the earth but a different weight, the different weight due of course to the fact that the moon is less massive and therefore less of a gravitational field.

Originally posted by Mabus

By the way, if the sun was a solid surface planet would it still have the other planets orbiting it? And how much would you weigh if you could stand on the sun if it wouldnt kill you like if it was a solid suface planet? Are there any discovered solar systems that dont have suns in their center because they have a planet in the center?

(i). The sun having a solid surface is completley irrelevant to it's gravitational pull, it is simply the fact that it is so massive (compared to the planets) that makes it the centre of gravitational focus for our solar system.

(ii). The solid surface question doesn't make much sense. Where are you going to place the solid surface? You can work it out, just take your mass and multiply it by the gravitational field strength of the sun.

(iii). No there are no systems with planets at the centre because the stars are much more massive. You see when a gas cloud collapses to form a star the material surrounding it is pulled into orbit around it (this is a very simplistic picture of course!) which may eventually form planets. Since stars form first before planets the greater gravitational field of the star is established first and hence all objects formed after orbit the star.

Of course there are multiple star systems, binary and even trinary stars are known to have planets. (These systems must be strange places indeed, imagine sunrise where a redgiant a blue star rise together, spectacular!) In this case the planets orbit a star and the stars orbit the common centre of gravity. Hope this helps,

Timelike.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by timelike]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
This can be (and I think it was) confirmed by using a very long pendulum near a very large mountain; the mass of the mountain is big enough to affect the verticality of the pendulum. The pendulum attracts the mountain with the same force, but obviously it can not move the mountain.

Hmm, i didn't realise that the original WORMS was so physically accurate.

I speak of course, of using the ninja rope to propel yourself directly upwards into the air.

And people say you never learn anything from videogames.

new topics

top topics

join