It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Japan posted.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx
reply to post by Sky watcher

I got it. Hang on....

external image

Ha! Take that USGS grad student intern. We'll beat you to the next one too.

[edit on 6/13/08 by kattraxx]

I have people!!
20/20MB FIOS They wont outrun me lol. I wonder how many happen late at night that we do not see?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
7.0 hits Nothern Japan swaying buildings authorities closed highways and stopped high speed trains. It hit at 8:43 a.m. 280 mi. from Tokyo. No threat of Tsunani and no damage reported at two Nuclear Power Plants in area.

Do you think they would admit to anything dealing with Nuclear Power so fast.

edit to add: looks like nice sized aftershocks are already hitting Japan but no new news yet.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by observe50]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Big Bend is known in the Northern California area for its local hot springs. They are privately stewarded by the Big Bend Hot Springs Project, LLC (bigbendhotsprings.org...), and are currently closed (since December 2006) for renovations. When open, Big Bend Hot Springs can be visited for a small fee (day use or camping). There are five springs in the area: two of which are developed for tourists (which are next to the campgrounds), and one which is further down the river and consists of a number of small pools on the bank of the Pit River. There are also Geothermal Wells on the property, used to heat both pools and buildings. Managers estimate the hot springs might re-open to the public by Fall 2008.

In the town of Big Bend, another hot well is used to heat Indian Springs School (a K-8 public school), the Community swimming pool and the Community Greenhouse.
Wikipedia

Big Bend, CA, 2.9

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Not that it means anything being so far away but my ringing in my ears just completely changed in tone for about 10 sec. and this is unusual for me.

Is anyone getting anything usual happening with them.

Seems aftershock was a 5.5 and I read that children and Teachers in a day care have been hurt but nothing else yet. I am suprised Fox isn't reporting this.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

I believe that happened to damntheptb and me just before an EQ in Central California, if I remember right. He may have a better memory of this, but he won't be back on the thread until Monday. Keep an eye on the EQ maps.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
4.1 Nevada EQ is on the IRIS site

USGS 3.8, different data from the 4.1

Got screen shots, if we'll need them later.

The time is the same, but I the depths are different and I believe the lat/long is slightly different as well. You can plot the location with the listed lat/long on itouchmap.com. I tried to post the image on the url, but it didn't work.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
They say the aftershock was a 5.6 not 5.5 as I wrote earlier.

It seems a bridge collasped but nothing more on that.

They seem to make a point that the 7.0 was a vertical quake, "what is the importance of that."

edit to dd:

I killed and four hurt in landslide in Japan

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

This part interested me quite a bit....

Seismologists had issued advance warning of the first earthquake moments before it struck around 0845 (2343 GMT on Friday).

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

There is a video of the EQ in Japan that is amazing.
www.youtube.com...

Edit to add: I think this is simulated, actually.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hey everyone!
I'm new here but was turned on to the site by JustMike. Thought I'd take a look around and see what's cookin.
So the other night in conversation I stopped abruptly and said "earthquake". That's usually how I get my feelings...it's like someone whispers it in my ear and I just know. I nailed the Reno quakes and the massive aftershock in China.
As for the conspiracy to "cover up" some of these Nevada quakes...I think you're right...it's definitely a pre-cursor. I've been feeling like there's something major about to happen. California and Nevada are EXTREMELY seismically active right now. I'm wondering about Mammoth Mountain...maybe a few of the surrounding volcanoes?? Long Valley caldera is a super-volcano that's been silent for a long time...there are plenty of "active" and "dormant" volcanoes in the area...and what's near Reno?? Anything in the Sierra Nevada mountains could be a potential volcano.
I was showing JustMike a close up map of the earthquakes in California and it looks like both sides of the San Andreas are moving smoothly...except for that little 200 miles or so between Santa Maria and Palmdale. That makes me nervous being that I live in Los Angeles. We're due...long OVER DUE for a big one. I'm pulling the paintings off the walls. haha!
What's everyone else feeling about it?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by billbryan516

Welcome to ATS and to our thread, Bill. Los Angeles too--- that's good; lots of potential activity-- just kidding.

So, tell me more about your feelings pertaining to the Reno EQ swarm in particular. When you say, you've been feeling something big is going to happen, do you mean Reno, or in the western U.S. ?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Funny I just finished reading that somewhere but how can that be. How could they predict it something is not right. I'm gonna check IRIS out agaiAnother aftershock 4.7

I read where it says a new earthquake warning system kicked in for the quake with public broadcaster NHK flashing an alert moments before the quake.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The BBC article says seismologists issued an EQ warning before it hit.

Gee, maybe we should turn to Japanese seismologists for help. At least they have the cojones to give a warning... I believe I'd prefer they at least try, even if they're wrong, so what-- I was prepared for something that didn't happen-- good practice.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You and I were posting at same time.

I don't know what this new earthquake warning system is but it seemed to work for those people.

Seems the good old US of A isn't at the top are they.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

No, they are not. Perhaps if USGS didn't spend so much time deleting earthquakes.. what the heck, USGS? If Japan can issue a warning, why can't you?

Edit to answer my own question: Because in Japan and China, they study animal behavior, cloud formations, among other alternative methods of predicting earthquakes that our seismologists laugh at.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
My jaw is doing me in so I'm gonna hit the zzzzz's, I can only imagine what the morning will bring us.

Be safe my friends

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
EQ today by Lawton Hot Springs, Reno

Another one today by the old Lawton Hot Springs.... actually most of the tremors today were by the hot springs, which happen to be at the south end of the EQ swarm.

www.seismo.unr.edu...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
external image

Google Earth aerial shot of the Reno earthquake swarm area. All the EQs are not plotted on this image; if they were they would connect across Mogul to the other side of the river where the hot springs are. This is just a shot to give you the lay of the land, so to speak.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Offshore Oregon EQ, 4.9

[edit on 6/14/08 by kattraxx]

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join