It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

i COULDNT EVEN GET TO THE PAGE before it was deleted.... very weird, i can understand a false reading, but how do you get a false 3.0 or bigger..... i think the truth is being hidden for a non-friendly reason..... things are acting up, getting weird vibes, and feelings, and when the swarms started, it felt weird, because it was new to me, now after a few months, it is all normal, cept for saturdays morning quake, the seconds before I wanted to run like hell out of my house......then we got hit...

i am not liking this weekend..... too much activity going on and too many pieces of info disapearing in the last few days.....

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up about those newest Nevada quakes. I missed the 4.1 but as for the 3.8 I've saved screen shots of the local map, US map, USGS data page (with event ID number) and also the Nevada Broadcast of Earthquakes data page showing the 3.8, and I will upload them if this quake gets deleted.

Mike

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Hey, great to have your input on the thread.
Right now I think we are happy to welcome all the help we can get! I notice that the 4.1 and 3.8 quakes, the times you noted are identical. So at first glance it looks like the 4.1 may have got downgraded to a 3.8. However, the odd thing is the depths are different. The 4.1 was shallower...so can you (or anyone else) recall if the 4.1 was in the same location as the 3.8?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Good job jumping on that, pynner. Thanks. Maybe they downgraded the 4.1 to a 3.8, but that sure was a super-fast "analysis" by a seismologist to determine the downgrade.

Like I said, I wonder if this EQ will be "relocated" to Somersett?

And as Pynner mentioned, the Gerlach, NV EQ is already in blue on the U.S. map. It turned blue after about 5 minutes. I am going to try to contact anyone in Gerlach if I can to find out what they felt and thought.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 6/13/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Giant Desiccation Fissures on the Black Rock and Smoke Creek Deserts, Nevada
Ronald Willden 1 and Don R. Mabey 1
1 U. S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, California

Open fissures, from 100 to several hundred feet apart, that have produced polygonal patterns on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, are believed to be giant desiccation cracks resulting from a secular trend toward aridity in the last few decades. Similar features on the Smoke Creek Desert probably have the same origin.

www.sciencemag.org...

Smoke Creek, NV, the epicenter of today's 3.8 near Gerlach, NV. Apparently, there's a reservoir there that straddles the California/Nevada border.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is all starting to freak me out even more. Why would the USGS erase earthquakes. What are they hiding.

They shouldnt hide this stuff, it's not fair to us as human beings to be left in the dark about something as serious as possible volcanic activity.

Tela

PS> I hope all of you in nevada are doing ok...my prayers and thoughts are with you and your families.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
another nevada earthquake

2008-06-13 20:31:17 (Ml 2.8) NEVADA 40.5 -119.6

ive got both the event page and the map with the red squares. Ill post those as soon as I can get them onto a hosted page.

Tela

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

[edit on 6/13/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
deleted as i got help for the pictures.

tela

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There's been two more nevada quakes since the one i posted up there..it sure is NOT stopping in nevada.

1.4 2008/06/13 20:43:11 39.510 -119.912 0.0 4 km ( 2 mi) E of Verdi-Mogul, NV

1.4 2008/06/13 20:37:20 39.510 -119.912 0.0 4 km ( 2 mi) E of Verdi-Mogul, NV

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
In regards to the 4.1/3.8 quakes in nevada... I still dunno if they are the same quake... different depth.. and different location... the 4.1 was originally on the other side of that valley, in the mountains...

I knew when I saw those quakes pop up they would be gone...

seems to me though that there are more happening in that one location.... but with the fudging of facts, is that where they really happened?

and I have no doubt that someone is reading this and trying to stay ahead of us.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by pynner]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

I don't really see that those tremors are actually on a fault.

By the way, USGS "relocated" the Wells earthquakes too.

I just felt another of those long vibrations like the floor is vibrating up and down. It won't show up on the USGS maps either.

I lived in California for a long time and felt a lot of earthquakes and I've never felt any like these.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

In regards to the 4.1/3.8 quakes in nevada... I still dunno if they are the same quake... different depth.. and different location... the 4.1 was originally on the other side of that valley, in the mountains...

Thanks, pynner. That is good information and what I suspected as well. Thanks for helping us stay on top of this stuff-- we need all the help we can get.

In fact, people please flag and star this thread. We'd like to get more input from people in other states and even countries. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
S'D N F'D

Yeah, i have been reading this thread since the beginning and it's been very cool... but there was that one earthquake last week that made everyone take notice and I figured I have to help out.

even since I have been here in the last lil bit, things have changed again on the EQ map.. (I use googleearth/usgs plugin)

I still think we are about to see the birth(s) of new volcano(s)...

ok.. anyways... I will keep an eye out.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Welcome aboard, pynner.

I hope this new volcano isn't in my back yard. Or that magma isn't making its way towards Yellowstone.

Edit to add: When you said the 4.1 EQ appeared on the other side of the valley in the mountains, can you give us an idea where that is? Is that on the California/Nevada border near the reservoir.... or where? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

Must be something in the way you set up the post
If you get into your "new post" page (which has the gray box like I'm typing in at this moment), in the little graphics above it you'll see one that shows a computer monitor with an artist's palette in front of it. That's the icon you click on to load a direct link to a colour image. So just click on it and it opens a little window. Now just paste your url for the image into that box, click "okay" and that's it.

Hmmm....I just tried one of your image url's and got the same problem of "external image". Maybe flickr doesn't allow remote linking. Try photobucket. They welcome it!

[edit on 13-6-2008 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I should have specified more than my.."you know, just around the bend and up the hill".. lol

the 4.1 was between the reservoir and the cal/nev boarder.. pretty close to buffalo creek (which just looks like a weather station).

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks Mike, Kat actually pionted me towards photobucket and it seems to have worked. Now I jsut have to work on getting smaller sized pictures. I wish photbucket sized your photos for you like flickr does, I'd use it more

Tela

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

the 4.1 was between the reservoir and the cal/nev boarder.. pretty close to buffalo creek (which just looks like a weather station).

Okay, thanks. Not surprising. It seems EQ's near reservoirs get deleted and/or moved.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I just knew that Sacramento Bee article link I posted on Page 2 of this thread would be dead. And it is. But, as luck would have it, I cut and pasted the pertinent section of the newspaper article into the thread, which is as follows:

Geoff Blewitt, a University of Nevada physicist who focuses on measuring minute earth movements with GPS, believes that since the swarm began, a 20-square-mile area has shifted eastward one centimeter – just under a half-inch.

The shift is too great to be caused by the swarm itself and hints that a deeper, underground creep is straining the region above it, Blewitt said. The swarm could be partially releasing that strain.

The reason I went back to look for this article was the following information on this web site regarding harmonic tremors and ground deformation relating to volcanic activity.

Volcanic seismicity has three major forms: short-period earthquakes, long-period earthquakes, and harmonic tremor. Short-period earthquakes are like normal fault-related earthquakes. They are related to the fracturing of brittle rock as the magma forces its way upward. These short-period earthquakes signify the growth of a magma body near the surface. Long-period earthquakes are believed to indicate increased gas pressure in a volcano's "plumbing system." They are similar to the clanging sometimes heard in your home's plumbing system. Harmonic tremor occurs when there is sustained movement of magma below the surface.

Ground Deformation
Swelling of the volcano signals that magma has accumulated near the surface. Scientists monitoring an active volcano will often measure the tilt of the slope and track changes in the rate of swelling. An increased rate of swelling--especially if accompanied by an increase in sulfur dioxide emissions and harmonic tremors--is almost a sure sign of an impending event.

Edit to add: I'm not saying there is a connection, but why is it that any and all information on the internet pertaining to this question is Ooops, page missing?

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join