It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

No, I didn't have an inkling about the China quake...I think I posted about this way back earlier in the thread. However there have been other pretty big quakes I haven't picked up on either. I'm not quite sure what to make of it but there are some disturbing possibilities.

About picking up on lower mags (or mistaking them representing something higher): This could also be because we are all putting a lot into this lately and when a person is dedicatedly focused on something then they notice smaller details. So in terms of what we pick up, I'd say it's similar.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by michigangirl

Hey, thanks for posting that! That is very interesting, especially as it lends weight to some of our own theories about human (and animals) sensitivity to em effects.

Just wondering...and this is a general sort of wondering for anyone to comment on...If they say these effects can be detected 100 km up, wouldn't they therefore consider it possible to detect them much more strongly and precisely closer to the earth? Prior research into geomagnetic/electrical effects would say "yes"...so I wonder where NASA is headed with their "breakthrough"?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
UNR's Seismology Lab is "relocating" the Reno swarm earthquakes, so just in case the original map of the EQs in their original locations "disappears", I'm going to post both images from their site. First, the original locations.

external image

Second, UNR's map of "relocated" EQ's...

external image

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Morning all, I wanted to post a few things...

first, THE reno area is conducting a MAJOR earthquake drill (simulation of 7.1) EQ drill

2nd, the results from the swarm of EQ's that have been goin on for months, has never stopped, like some news agencies are reporting (everyone acted like they were surprised this swarm started again......it never stopped, only slowed). the locations of quakes were NOT near known faults, and just recently the UNR page has moved data over fault lines in area... away from the original locations.... weeks after they hit.....months even..... something is goin on, and most of the time you try to get to a page online regarding this area and quakes, the page is down...

this activity just started in the last few days, and now we have a major drill goin on, and the article stated "prepare to see lots of military action in area during drill....... scary

I have a bad feeling that we will see action soon

HERE IS A LINK to operation VIGILANT GUARD 08

HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM REPORT ---During the exercise, the guard expects to have more than 1,750 soldiers and airmen, some 70 military trucks and Humvees on the roads of northern Nevada, about 12 helicopters, six C-130s, one KC-135 and one C-17 aircraft. In addition, the Fallon Naval Air Station expects to utilize a C-130, Predator, Raven and two or three OH58 aircraft for intelligence-gathering exercises.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by damntheptb] I ADDED LINK AND EXCERP...

[edit on 13-6-2008 by damntheptb]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Maybe someone can explain this earthquake "relocation program", but it seems odd to me.

As you can see, they have relocated the EQs back near their two known fault lines.

external image

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
In fact, if you notice on the EQ known fault map in the above post, you will see that the Reno swarm in not actually over any fault. It's just nearest the Verdi/Mogul fault, so that's where it gets its name. But this doesn't alter the fact that the EQ swarm is in the city limits of Reno and not in either Verdi or Mogul. Somersett is a development on the western edge of the city of Reno, near Verdi and Mogul. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this point-- people thinking the EQ swarm is in Verdi or Mogul.

So, instead of the original UNR map showing the EQs seeming to migrate east, they are now "relocated" back under the western edge of the Somersett development.

Some of these "relocations" are pretty extreme, as in the past few days we have had EQ's as far east as Lemmon Valley and that's at least ten or more miles from the Somersett area, give or take.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
external image

You can see on this Reno community map, Lemmon Valley is across the valley, northeast of the city of Reno. (Notice Peavine Mountain in between Lemmon Valley and the Verdi/Mogul/Somersett area.) Lemmon Valley is where a few EQs have occurred in the past couple days.

Many EQs that were right under my house-- and believe me, I feel many that never show up on the maps-- have been relocated back under Somersett.

[edit on 6/13/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

That is very interesting, Kat...Truly. (I starred your post btw...) It's also rather worrying: not only have they "moved" the locations, there seems to be a significantly smaller number of the more "scattered" quakes. However, it still shows several that are mag 2.0 or less, so does the second image show data for a different period from the June 8 -- 12 shown in the first image? I can understand them retaining details of larger quakes on the map for a longer period, but why have some smaller ones been deleted and others have not?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Remember I mentioned doing some research on a little theory I have... well, I can't do this research because every page I want to look at is gone.

For example: waveform info pages

Mogul waveforms

[edit on 6/13/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by damntheptb

This news of the "Earthquake Drill" is very creepy. Is it possible to find out how long ago this was planned? Under the normal circumstances for organizing major drills (especially involving military), it would take some time to prepare everything and get all the approvals/movement orders/stores requisitions etc arranged and sent through channels. It doesn't seem likely that they just came up with this idea within the past few weeks. The report you linked to indicates this is quite a major exercise and from my experience with such things, just the paperwork involved would be mountainous.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

The following external quote is from the UNR Seismology Lab, a statement under the "relocated" EQ map.

Earthquakes in the 2008 Mogul-Somersett sequence have been relocated with application HYPODD (Waldhauser & Ellsworth, 2000). This relocation set includes 987 of the best located events; only arrival time data are used.

Two sub-parallel NW striking faults define the activity within the central part of the sequence. The western most structure is approximately 2 km in length and is located directly below Mogul and the southern most Somersett areas. This structure is confined to shallower depths and includes the initial earthquake activity of the sequence. The second primary NW striking structure is east of the initial faulting activity, extends to about 5 km depth, and is at least 5 km in length. A later developing cluster of earthquakes NE of these two sub-parallel feature may be associated with a NE striking conjugate fault at the NW extent of the two sub-parallel fault systems that define the central part of the sequence. Earthquake activity to the NW of the central zone of seismicity may be directly associated with the structure that defines the eastern most primary NW striking fault, suggesting that the structure may strike more westerly at its NW extent as defined by the seismicity. Earthquakes have also been located as far south as the Caughlin Ranch area of west Reno. Clearly, there is more than one geologic structure involved in the Mogul-Somersett sequence. Additional analysis of the sequence will better define these active structures.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So, what happened to the waveform information for the Reno earthquake swarm? I found them about three weeks ago, but now I can't find one. The link I posted to waveform examples earlier in this thread is now "Oops, page not found".

If anyone finds any waveforms for the Reno EQ swarm on the internet, please u2u me or post them.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

i am sure they are planned waaaaay in advance, it is a yearly exercise, they just picked reno to host it this year...Just ironic they are doing a drill for a 7.1 and we are going through a massive swarm

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by damntheptb

i am sure they are planned waaaaay in advance, it is a yearly exercise, they just picked reno to host it this year...Just ironic they are doing a drill for a 7.1 and we are going through a massive swarm

Just another in a big pile of "coincidences"....

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Kat,

a lot of info has simply become unavailable in the past few days. In short, certain pages on various websites relating to seismic activity have apparently been taken down. However, I have located a copy of a report about the Mogul swarm Waveforms and I am sending the link to you. I won't post the link to it here because it may then also get taken down.

Other members who want the link can contact me via U2U or email.

Mike

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
M 4.1, Nevada

Date:
Friday, June 13, 2008 18:31:04 UTC
Friday, June 13, 2008 11:31:04 AM at epicenter
Depth:
8.00 km (4.97 mi)

Details from USGS web site

before it gets erased!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
oh something I have noticed as well.. besides the USGS removing quakes (or making them appear older than they are)..... IRIS seems to be showing that we have no activity here in NA while the rest of the ring of fire is going off.

things aren't adding up!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
OMG! they erased the quake already... that was fast

gotta be quick with these guys

here's another that just happened:
M 3.8, Nevada

Date:
Friday, June 13, 2008 18:31:04 UTC
Friday, June 13, 2008 11:31:04 AM at epicenter
Depth:
13.60 km (8.45 mi)

[edit on 13-6-2008 by pynner]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
[img-512x384]
Nevada EQ 6/13[/img]

I wonder if this one will be relocated to Somersett?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
No time to crop, sorry. I couldn't get the 4.1. They deleted that one instantaneously! I got the 3.8 though. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join