It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 229
<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
God, I hate it when I have such a strong feeling, and get on here to discover that others do, too.

Both my sister and I have been feeling that something is up for the past few days. Today, I got a VERY strong sense, and dizzyness, like I did right before the Japan quake.

I don't throw this out there much, but for those that remember, I sensed the Japan quake and talked about it right before it hit. I was actually watching GEE for it when it happened. This is like that...only, I feel it's closer.

I dunno...hope I'm just getting sick.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Interesting thread. Congratulations!

Has anyone tried to predict earthquakes by detecting an increase in magnetic pulses?

Would be interesting to see the results...

Thanks you.
Regards.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi-ya, Westcoast…Ellensburg here…long time, no see.

OP, S & F…great thread.

We offered this a while back and received very little attention.

Earthquake Lights Live Update Map

Eart hquake Lights and Smells Live Update Map
edit on 13/9/2015 by thorfourwinds because: ttyyppooss

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thorfourwinds

Hi!
Thanks for the links!
I can't wait to read everything in depth as soon as I have time.
I did just do a quick run through though.

It was actually earthquakes & all the birds dropping dead in Arkansas,
that led me right here to ATS! No going back now!
Since then I have heard the Seneca Guns myself a few times,
& noticed a cloud that looked like an eq cloud, when we were in the car traveling.
It was one low, small cloud, with the rainbow effect on it,
among a whole sky full of plain, regular ones.

It's amazing what you can notice if you pay attention!
I think that is the main problem.
People are just too busy to notice things!
Everyone is in such a hurry!

Plus, if you live in a populated area,
you usually explain things away as being caused by people.
As in sounds/booms & smells, especially in the daytime.

Nature gives us signs for all kinds of things,
if we would just stop & pay attention!

WOQ

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Wow!
Didn't feel these coming!!!
Completely caught me with my socks down!
No symptoms that I could say were quake ones!

76km WSW of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 23:38:05 UTC
35.0 km

25km W of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 23:18:42 UTC
31.1 km

70km W of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 23:16:05 UTC
10.0 km

44km WSW of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 23:03:56 UTC
10.0 km

71km W of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 22:59:17 UTC
47.8 km

54km W of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-16 22:54:32 UTC
25.0 km

I don't think I ever saw anything quite like this,
since I started watching quakes!
Even Japan's big one, had a lot of smaller ones mixed in along.
Even in the beginning, if I remember right!
WOQ

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Yes, this is part of the reason why I'm a little concerned that it may not be the largest release. Hopefully, that's it!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The 6's just keep coming!

53km W of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-17 04:10:30 UTC
30.2 km

54km S of Ovalle, Chile
2015-09-17 03:55:06 UTC
35.0 km

64km NW of Illapel, Chile
2015-09-17 01:41:09 UTC
35.0 km

At least there are 4's & 5's showing now!
A steady stream of them too!
WOQ

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kattraxx

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone else has been feeling major inner tremors since Tuesday September 14th 2015. Mine have somewhat eased today. I now live in South Eastern Manitoba right next door to the USA Border into North Dakota. Yesterday from 500am too 9am this morning, Friday September 18th 2015, have been the worst I have EVER encountered before. Dreams, when I sleep are of major flooding, a huge gaping split on the ground in a City that
resembled some City looking between Washington and a Smaller New York combined, lava bubbling under the ground that was visible from the massive and deep hole made by the split/crack, in the City's ground. I have been to Washington and New York. The City in my dreams do not seem to be either, but one smaller, looking a bit like both of those Cities combined. This is really hard on my body's system. Anybody???

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly
Just for future reference for anyone who might read this thread, WOQ is basically referring to the aftershocks following the Mag 8.3 quake (and tsunami) off the Chilean coast on Sept 16.

The ATS thread specifically about the big quake is HERE in the Fragile Earth forum. This is the USGS page for this quake. (Data, map & summary.)

I'd also like to note westcoast's post at the top of this page (p 229). This was made just 8 days before the Chile event. For any passing reader who might think, "Meh, big quakes happen all the time," they don't. Mag 8 and bigger quakes are pretty rare and on average we get one per year.

In fact, it's a tad less than 1 per annum. According to USGS there have been 95 such events since 01/01/1900, which anyone can check by searching the USGS earthquake archives.

Here's how to use it: under "Basic Options" copy and paste:
1900-01-01 00:00:00
into the "Start" box, leave the "End" date box alone (it's always yesterday's date), and change the minimum magnitude from 6 to 8. Leave the maximum blank. It'll search to the maximum (ie, biggest recorded quake) by default. Ignore all the other parameters so it searches everything. Scroll right down and hit "search" and it'll give you a clickable world map with a full list with dates, times, magnitudes and locations.

From that data (95 mag 8-plus quakes in cca 115 years) we obviously have some years where we don't get any. e.g. There were none in 2008 or 2002. So I take westcoast's post as pretty timely in that regard.

The last mag 8 or bigger quake was over 18 months ago, on April 1 2014. It was a mag 8.2 and interestingly, it was also in Chile. Here's the USGS page about it.

edit on 21/9/15 by JustMike because: my typing sux. It was 95 quakes, not 94...

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: StormyStars
Hi Stormy,

these kinds of dreams can be pretty hard to deal with, especially if you're fairly sensitive to that sort of thing. Although I've been studying quakes and related events for years, I only get such dreams very rarely and I'm glad for that.

Naturally, it's usually impossible to say if such dreams have any precognitive aspect or if they're "just dreams", but in either case, as it's about a natural event and we therefore can't do anything about it anyway -- meaning we can't prevent it -- the best thing to do is just file it away and try not to be too disturbed by it.

Many of us who post here have experienced similar things and sometimes we post details of them. I had one a couple or three years back that was so intense, detailed and un-dreamlike in many respects that I posted it in the thread here. Other members seemed to concur it was Seattle I was dreaming about.

I'll see if I can dig out some links to those posts. I have over 600 posts in this thread so it might take a few minutes but if I can find them, it'll give you some idea of who we deal with things like this. We tend to be supportive here but we're also quite an analytical bunch, which is a good balance, I think.

Okay, I found my quake dream post by searching through the "posts in thread" option. Turns out it was posted on Feb 14, 2012. It's HERE. It's fairly detailed and there's some follow up.

It's a huge task but if you have time to scan through this thread you'll find lots of posts that refer to dreams. Just looking through my "posts in thread" pages I've replied to several members who spoke about theirs. So, we'll be happy to discuss yours with you as well.

Just one final thing: when I say we're supportive, I mean it.

We get it. We know it can be hard to post things at times and just as hard to deal with them. I posted a response to another member who also had a pretty horrendous quake (& tsunami) dream less than a day after mine. The post is HERE and it gives you some idea how we feel, pretty much. And please read lasertaglover's post as well (linked in mine) and you'll see another good example of what sort of things we post about and try to deal with.
edit on 21/9/15 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ptolomeo
Interesting thread. Congratulations!

Has anyone tried to predict earthquakes by detecting an increase in magnetic pulses?

Would be interesting to see the results...

Thanks you.
Regards.

Yes, scientists have been looking at this for some time. [ETA: actually, they're not officially predicting. Not yet. But they're working on it. END ETA.] There is a correlation between electromagnetic anomalies and quakes and some propose it could be used for prediction. For example from this Article in the The Journal of the Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists on the CSIRO website (a Aus Govt scientific organization) the given abstract concludes with the following:

Magnetic field intensity of ULF data can give important information about earthquake preparation processes and it can be involved in the development of earthquake prediction methodology.

That's pretty clear. If ULF magnetic field intensity data is monitored and analyzed then the information could be used in helping to predict possible upcoming quake events.

If you run a search with the term "magnetic anomalies and earthquakes" you'll find many similar studies and articles, often authored by highly qualified people and published in peer-reviewed journals.

Another aspect is "ionospheric heating" and its link to quakes, especially major ones. For example, this article in Technology Review discusses scientific observations of rapid heating of the atmosphere above the region of Japan's huge quake in the days before it occurred.

For example, it says:

Today, Dimitar Ouzounov at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland and a few buddies present the data from the Great Tohoku earthquake which devastated Japan on 11 March. Their results, although preliminary, are eye-opening. [Note by JustMike: "Today" means May 18, 2011, the date the article was published.]

They say that before the M9 earthquake, the total electron content of the ionosphere increased dramatically over the epicentre, reaching a maximum three days before the quake struck.

At the same time, satellite observations showed a big increase in infrared emissions from above the epicentre, which peaked in the hours before the quake. In other words, the atmosphere was heating up.

These kinds of observations are consistent with an idea called the Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling mechanism. The thinking is that in the days before an earthquake, the great stresses in a fault as it is about to give cause the releases large amounts of radon.

It's still being researched, but the evidence for a link is there.

Putting it all together, I would hope that eventually scientists will be able to use such data collection and analysis to at least nail down potentially large, damaging quakes before they happen.

edit on 21/9/15 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Hi Mike!

I saw that you noted my post about a week prior to the Chili quake. I don't know if that was what I was picking up on, but my initial reaction was that it was something bigger still lurking not too far behind, and that I have this feeling about Alaska.

Now, given where I live (on top of the Cascadia Zone), you would think my main concern is the mega thrust that would quite literally be in my face. Well...yes, that is always my worst-case scenario, but it just doesn't feel like that's it. It's as bad as when I knew the Japan quake was going to hit....but like it's closer. Like the 'waves' hitting me are bigger, but also more spread apart, so reaching further back, so I am feeling the build up sooner. Does that make ANY sense?

This is the conversation I have been having with my sister for about two weeks now, because she is sensing the same thing. (it runs in our family)

I started a thread yesterday about strange animal behavior here the past two days, but I'm not posting any of this there, because it would obviously be taken the wrong way and detract from the OP, which could really just be about El Nino. Here is that THREAD

Basically, birds acting crazy all up and down the coast of Washington and Oregon, and WHALES swimming into the Columbia river. WEIRD.

Someone just posted on that thread, about the planetary alignment today. I knew about that, but had NO idea that historically, the last time this alignment happened was when the huge 9.3 quake hit Alaska. Ummmmm.......

As I've been sitting here catching up, I got hit by another strong dizzy spell. My dogs and cat are acting strange and I wish SO badly that I could get GEE to work on my laptop!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: westcoast
Hi Tara,

to be honest, since that quake hit in Chile a week ago I've been pondering the "where's the next big one?" question a lot more than usual of late. I hadn't really considered Alaska as high on the list but that's from a technical point of view: they had that 9.3 there in March 1964, then an 8.7 not too far away in the Rat Islands (in the Aleutian chain) in February 1965, so I was thinking it could still be a while yet until the stresses have built up enough to allow another huge one in that region. Also because (IIRC) the movement rate there is slower than down along the western Sth American coastal subduction zone.

However, that's just the nuts and bolts way of looking at it, and as you know our planet doesn't care one whit about what we might think is possible or not. Weird stuff happens and the experts are sometimes quite surprised by what happens. Not being an expert I get surprised in a different way, but probably more often.

So, possibly Alaska? Yes, possibly. But the other things you mentioned concerned me more. What you've said about your own feelings and your sister's, and also those weird happenings with the animals, increases my concern with the Cascadia Subduction Zone from the usual "I don't like that thing" to "I really don't like that thing".

I reckon you understand what I mean by that, specially as you live in the region there and have many more reasons to not like that thing. But anyone who knows anything about the CSZ and its potential and also accepts that sometimes animals can sense approaching quake events, is going to be seriously creeped out.

As always, we hope all this weird stuff with the animals can be explained by other causative factors, even though it's hard to imagine any one cause that would make birds and also whales behave so oddly.

Meanwhile, as I've been writing this up in my own tediously slow way, I've just noticed there was a mag 5.5 up in the nth end of the Juan de Fuca plate a few minutes ago. Very shallow, as it happens. And mid-plate (assuming they have the plate boundaries plotted accurately).

Nothing too startling, as it's not a big quake by any means and they get them up there often enough -- several a year -- but odd timing, all the same. And as it happens it's the biggest quake in the world in the past 24 hours. Hmm. I'll keep an eye on that.

Meanwhile, I'll conclude this post by saying that the area I've had my eye on most is not all that far from the last big Chile quake. Namely, further north, off the coast of Peru, from the region of Lima down to Arequipa. That section of the subduction zone has not done an awful lot in recent times compared to the more southern chunk that runs past Chile. So, I'm pretty concerned about that.

ETA: and Tara, thanks for the link to your new thread. I'm heading over for a longer read there right now.

edit on 24/9/15 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Oh. Thank you.
This IS disturbing.

BUT it is not JUST the dreams.

It is also the Physical self that is going on when the dreams hit.

It is almost like panic or anxiety attack and something way worse that butterflies in the tummy.

It can get so bad. I think of and phone everyone I have left, to see if ANYTHING is out of order, like a passing or someone being sick, in a car accident, etc.

Once doing that and not learning anything bad, I then KNOW it is something about the weather.

I've only experience one mild quake when a child.

I am able to predict the weather wherever I have lived.

Accurately.

But is so very rare in Canada to have quakes.

When invited to this group almost 2 years ago, by Katrina, discussions were more like the feelings of dread, inner tremors, uneasynedd to Vomiting to nausea, and even a peculiar dizziness. Lack of sleep. Jumpy as a cat just let out of a dryer...

Then, when we do sleep... The nightmares.

All so very vivid and realistic.

Makes it worse.

Some feel it only just before it hits, even if living across the Oceans.

For others, the physically altering of heart rates, etc, total discomfort followed later by the dreams, can last from hours up to 3 weeks.

I am the latter.
I STILL, from last Tuesday, September 15th, 2015. It is now Saturday September 26th 2015 Saturday.

Still feel something extreme is going to occur......

This is so difficult to explain.

Despite Actual Cross World Statistics on this; There are Earthquake Sensitive, Empaths.
We DO exist.
Each time this has occurred, there has always been something.
Last time, it was the quake in Chile.
I was interested to know if a series of small quakes are happening everywhere globally speaking, that may not be Nationally on the News Stations, as that occurs sometimes before the big bad, making the physical and night made effects for such lengths....

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Weird feeling of sadness this afternoon.
It has been coming in 'waves'.
Also antsy or anxious, almost like something is going to happen.
That's not as strong a feeling as the sadness though...yet!

Usually it's hubby that has this kind of symptom!
He isn't home right now to ask if he's feeling it too.
He has been saying for over two weeks though,
that he has been feeling something that he never felt before.

Solar flares, weather, something else?
WOQ

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Didn't post an update on my last post.

May have been this:

M 7.5 - 45km N of `Alaqahdari-ye Kiran wa Munjan, Afghanistan

DYFI? - VII ShakeMap - VII PAGER - ORANGE
Time 2015-10-26 09:09:32 UTC
Location 36.441°N 70.717°E
Depth 212.5 km

WOQ

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Oh my gosh...my dogs are driving me crazy today.

They've been sensitive prior to big quakes before, so when they start acting like this, I mention it. AND...I still feel like something is looming in Alaska. Right where that 6.0 quake hit a few days ago. I'm still watching that area closely.

My little dog was actually howling earlier....for no reason. I've only ever heard her howl a few times. Very weird.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Things have been relative quiet lately. Thankfully!

Just a short post to wish everyone a safe, happy and healthy holiday season. Hopefully, our planet will stay fairly quiet for a while longer and we can ease into 2016 without too many tectonic dramas.

Mike

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Saw this posted in the PNSN FB page:

Had a weird deja vu feeling this morning about 4am that a big earthquake was on the way.... perhaps not imminent, but soon....this year sometime it feels like? Made me wake up and listen for a moment and get up and look outside. Gave me a strong feeling of wanting to be more prepared and sooner. PacNW citizens should be considering the possibility. This is not my "normal" to post such things.... but I've had similar feelings in the past that have been preventive or predictive and helped me avoid stuff or understand what I had "seen" or "felt" ahead of time, only about a half dozen times in the last 40+ years. I tend to pay attention when it happens. It is what it is. I guess we'll see.

Wanted to drop this here in case it gets nixed ove. there.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Things are still relatively quiet on the earthquake front. There was a quake in Taiwan, but thankfully not as bad as some they have seen in the past.

The biggest quake in some time occurred just a few days on March 2, when there was a Magnitude 7.8 SW of Sumatra, Indonesia. (The link is to the data/information page on USGS.)

Aside from that, we have a wait-and-see at present. If any members have suggestions or thoughts about where the next big quake might be, then please post!

new topics

top topics

<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join