It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 196
<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Hmmmm...something is stirring.

I have no idea where or when or how big. My dogs are actually both sleeping right now, but I have a great amount of pressure in my head and have that crawling sensation along my scalp. A big one, with a lot of displacement.

So now I have gotten four (so far) very random confirmations from people, that something is "going to happen". I had told myself that this latest feeling of mine is probably once again related to something far away. But due to the people also feeling this, and what they have said makes me concerned it will be local. Also, the bridge collapse, several other weird, major accidents the past two days just all seem like signs, or pointers, or reminders to the effect that we need to be prepared.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I really feel like something big will happen here along the West coast very soon.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I thought it was gonna pop last weekend, but everything has been building. Pressure is so bad I am having constant headaches, feels strong and very bad.

It has to go in the next day or so.

Hope all of us our wrong.

Peace

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Ok...I'm in the middle of a house move so what the hell i'm doing here, finding the time to post this rubbish I don't know.....

I feel like crap...obviously...and stressed out of my head. But what made me post is that I can't get the word Indiana out of my head at all...it's been there for about a week, went away for a day or so, and now it's back, and I don't know why. Particularly Gary, Indiana. I'm hearing songs, the words repeated over and over again.

Ok....back to shifting boxes.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Ok, Gary Indiana south of Chicago at the southern end of Lake Michigan.

I thought it sounded familiar, like I had been there, but my wife reminded me Gary Indiana was a song in Music Man.

I did find a book that talked about the potential of a large 8.0 on the Wabash Faults.Wiki

Chicago, Gary, Indiana, may find themselves devastated by a great earthquake epicentered less than 80 mikes away. The relative silence of this fault zone in terms of major activity during the past 500 years or more could be a bad sign, not a good one.

The book is called The Earthquake America Forgot
edit on 2-6-2013 by Observationalist because: Added links

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Hello everyone!!! I just wanted to check in and find out how everyone is feeling. Seems like most of you folks aren't doing to well these days .

I had a very strange experience earlier and I wanted to share and possibly get some opinions.
I like to go out onto the patio on sunny days for about 20 minutes to soak up some sun and get my daily dose of vitamin D. We live in a rural area and it is extremely peaceful. Unless there are kids out playing, you will hear all manor of wildlife, it is quite relaxing and is my way of communing with nature. Today I was out in my usual spot, listening to the birds sing and watching the rabbits frolic between the trees behind the house.

At first everything seemed completely normal, but then I started to feel a bit a swaying feeling. I was seated in a patio chair that allows you to kind of rock or bounce if you are so inclined. But I wasn't moving the chair at all. I was completely still and yet I could feel the swaying. So I started to pay attention to the wind. There was a breeze on occasion, but the breeze didn't seen to affect the swaying, I didn't sway more when the breeze picked up. When the breeze died down, I could still feel it. It felt like being on a boat in still waters, the boat will very gently rock, even if there are no waves.

As some of you know, I live in Kentucky, so the poster above who mentioned Indiana sure has my attention. I am hopeful that nothing will come of this and everything will be fine. I have been paying attention to the ring of fire and it seems very active as of late. I know, I know there are tons of earthquakes everyday and the ring of fire is named the ring of fire for a reason, but lately there just seem to be a lot of bigger quakes happening.

Is anyone else feeling this swaying sensation?? Maybe it is just me.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hi all,

in case anyone wonders I've been a bit distracted the past few days and so haven't been posting much on ATS. It's because we're having some quite serious floods in my part of the world. I'm fine right where I am but just a few miles down the road in the middle of Prague and all up and down our main rivers it's quite bad.

So I've not been very focused on the seismic scene because of that. However I still read this thread and it's great to see the input from everyone. I'd like to reply to some comments when I can devote the thought & attention to do them justice.

Stay safe, everyone!

Mike

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hi guys....thank you for posting about the Gary thing, which I had completely forotten about in my house moving haze. Mike...I hope you're ok in all the flooding...sounds pretty serious.

Houe move done, never doing it again, amazing energetic happy place and I honestly feel like some kind of renaissance is taking place in mylife. I hope so!

So ok....I'm in the local library, cos I have no internet at home for another couple of weeks so this will have to be quick. The Gary thing has stopped completely, so maybe it was just a hiccup, although I can't think why it would be in my head for any other reason. the history of that that is very interesting, so thank you for the link, Observationalist...will defintely read more when I can.

I've had very weird symptoms the lest few days, since Monday night, and was putting it down to finally being done with the whole moving thing and release of tension. Moments of complete exhaustion where I've had to stand still for a few minutes just to get energy back...not my breath, just energy....and very intense dreams that I forget almost instantly, apart from the one about 2 or 3 small nuclear devices hidden in cities all over the world that haven't gone off yet. I can't quite get that one out of my head, and how real it felt when I woke up. I'm also thinking maybe it's quakes and not nukes I was dreaming and we are just waiting for them to go off, several smaller quakes all at once. By small, I mean 7+mags, so not that small really. There was a protracted sense of waiting in my dream, which I remember very clearly.

The feeling of motion feels familiar too, and I know I've had this in the past...but not in the last week that I can recall. Hopefully I will be back in a couple of days....stay safe and happy everyone.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hey Mike, good luck and stay safe man. The flooding over there has looked horrible. Thoughts and prayers for you, and everyone in that region.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

That Gary thing of yours keeps popping up in the back of my head too. I'm in Michigan now, so that would suck for us here. The weird thing for me, and I will not go into details, but one of the two people in my life whom have hurt me more than anything was from there. I've driven through there on my way to Chicago a few times, and even though it is wrong of me to hate the town, I have wished it ill in the past. That town bred a monster of a "person" and to this day, my skin crawls when I think of that person and place.

Also, sorry I haven't been around much lately too. Hurricane season started and I've been busy watching Barbara turn into Andrea over in the North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2013 thread here ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ).

EQ's, volcanoes, and hurricanes have always interested me, but Hurricanes are my favorite to watch and track. As a kid growing up in Florida, they use to hand out Hurricane Tracking charts for kids at the local grocery stores (Publix and Piggly Wiggly
) and I got the chance to surf the edge of Hurricane Hugo as it passed by Florida years ago on its way to the Carolinas. I also lost a good friend whom I served with in the Army to Katrina, so I'm kinda of a freak about Hurricane tracking.

Hello's and hugs to all the regulars here.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Yes. But I have never tried to track that swaying feeling in connection to anything. It has happened every couple of months for the last few years, and I never thought it might be connected to anything, just my weird body being weird.

Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Sainted bovine!!!

In the last hour, young cat, old cat, and the old man,
oops, I mean hubby, have all wanted a lot of attention!
All three of them are getting real 'snuggly' too!!!

Usually it's just one or two of the cats.
I don't ever remember both of them plus hubby at one time!
From the amount of their pestering, I hope it isn't a 9.9!!!
Just kidding!

My ears are really ringing & I'm starving for no reason again!
Feeling an energy burst building too.

Hubby has all his usual quake symptoms too.
Funny, usually it makes him feel achy & grouchy, not 'snuggly'!

Anyone else having any symptoms?
WOQ

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Time to check in!

WOQ, I had some symptoms during the past week or two but because of the weather problems we were having and which are now thankfully past us, I suspect I was just reacting to the general negative feelings here. Major floods and similar disasters can have that sort of effect on a wider community, especially when we know people who are either affected or we're worried about them because they could be. And that's assuming we're not directly impacted ourselves.

And rotten weather can get anyone down and make you feel every ache and pain, especially as we get older.

Now things are better here those feelings have mostly lifted. However, I still have a general feeling of foreboding but I can't narrow it down to anything. Even looking at the world quake maps nothing in particular jumps out at me. I often have to suppress a shudder when I study the PNW region, but that's almost normal for me now. It's just because like many here, I know what's possible there and it still makes me shake my head in disbelief that neither regional authorities nor federal ones seem to feel any sense of urgency at all to take steps that might help to alleviate the worst effects when the next mega-thrust quake eventually strikes that region.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Just to clarify what I said above, I'm not singling out the PNW's Powers That Be as if they were the only ones who have this "we have plenty of time" or "it won't happen on my watch" kind of attitude. I've just witnessed the results of an identical mindset here -- and our Powers That Be can't say "we never imagined it would happen".

Back in August 2002, we had devastating floods. Statistically classified as a 1-in-500-year event, the floods caused somewhere around 3 to 4 billion dollars in damage. The damage just in Prague was probably around one billion dollars altogether. That's a huge amount of money in a country where the average wage was (at the time) not even $1,000 a month and our population was only ten million people.

Afterwards, plans were drawn up to protect many areas from future floods by the use of various barriers, both permanent (levee and/or concrete wall) and temporary (portable, braced metal panel).

Eleven years later, we get another flood. While it wasn't as big as the last one it was still well over a 1-in-100-year event in many areas. In most places where the permanent flood defences had been built and temporary barriers were set up, the damage was vastly reduced. This was especially so in Prague: the few hundred million dollars the city and state invested prevented damage that would have been several times that. There was still some damage, but at least we didn't have whole sections of our capital's downtown flooded like we did last time.

However, some areas in this country had permanent flood barriers that were just not high enough and only a week or so ago, they got overtopped or simply failed -- due to a flood that was smaller than the last one! And in other places they hadn't even started building their defences yet -- even after 11 years.

The damage to those places is immense and will cost many times more than all the proper-sized defences would have cost. And I guarantee that even if we wait (hopefully) another decade or more until the next big flood, there will still be towns that will not be protected.

So, I appreciate the problem. But the fact remains: the PNW region is vastly under-prepared. And unlike a "normal" flood that can take hours or days to move down swollen rivers, giving many enough time to pack up possessions and leave, a tsunami from a major quake can arrive inside half an hour.

We saw what happened in Japan. Yes, in many places their huge tsunami-defence walls were overtopped or even destroyed. But they still gave many people time to flee to high ground, and doubtless saved thousands of lives.

We in this little forum know that the PNW can have a tsunami just as big as Japan's, after a quake also just as huge. And the authorities know, too. They've been told as much by top experts, in great detail.

So now, they have signs up along many of the coastal regions to show people which way to run if a tsunami is coming. Well, at least that's something.

Those signs are most useful if a tsunami happens along in the daytime when most people are up and about. The last one (on Jan 26, 1700) hit sometime after 9pm, when it was full dark and also the middle of winter -- and disaster planners should always plan for the worst scenario, not the most convenient one. Putting up signs is good, but it's not enough. They need defence walls and escape towers. Lots of them. I know some towers are being built, but more needs to be done.

I hope they have at least 20 years to get things done, because I doubt they're going to be somewhere near Japan's standard in less time than that. Not unless there is a major policy shift at both state and federal level and defensive measures to save lives get the large amounts of money they really need.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
More synchronicity.
Good to hear you're all ok, Mike, after the terrible floods you've had. Very scary situation, and I hear you about how it can make people feel. It's just such a reminder about what's possible when it goes wrong. But at least you're safe, which is most important.

I have to report very few symptoms...just the usual fibro pain, although it's lessening now that I've found a way to manage it, and I'm convinced the new house is helping massively. It's such a beautiful, happy, healing place. The more I compare it to the house I left, the more I realise how unhealthy the other one was. If anything I feel even more disconnected to the outside world, but I'm sure that's good for me.

So....no major symptoms, although I was a little panicky last night, but lets just put that down to the mountain of boxes I still have to process.

Should have broadband this week too...just when all the painting is finished and it won't matter if I get distracted.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Wow, I hope everyone is okay! I have been in dispose since my move, which I am still struggling with and have not spent much time on ATS. Tonight and today is the first real feeling of things awry. I've not looked at quake maps or anything much. Stress has been great, due to the move and other personal things going on. I just am ready to relax already! But I feel like something is not right on a different level tonight. My physical health has been kinda crap and I've had bouts of sleep for no reason which is kinda new. Strange dreams too and like someone said above, can't really recall them. Only bits. My anxiety and stuff is off the charts today for no real reason that I can see. So I dunno, just gonna note it and see what happens.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Howdy all. Haven't been feeling much lately, been way too focused on my Mother's medical conditions the past two weeks. I did feel some of my feelings this past weekend, but not enough to sideline me and post here. Odd pressure headache today, different than the stress headaches I've had the last two weeks. No ear ringing, anxiety and stress yes, but because of Mom's stuff, no idea if it is anything unusual for me.

Anyway, take care all, hugs.

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

just some news of a great little app you can run on your desktop. Richard Wolton's Earthquake 3D version 2.8 is now available at his site for download!
(I give the link near the end of this post.)

It's free and the .zip file is only 1.09 MB

It works by taking data direct from the USGS site feed, processing it and then displaying it on a globe. You can configure the globe in several ways (and make it rotate) and also filter the quakes by magnitude and number of days. You can also resize the globe as you wish, and the control panel is moveable and you can put it anywhere on the screen that you want.

I previously posted the link for version 2.7 but a while back when USGS changed its site and the way it feeds data, that version would no longer run. Mr Wolton posted an advisory on his site that he was upgrading the app, and just recently he released the new version. I've tested both this version and the previous and scanned the zip files, and like he says, there is no adware, spyware or other annoying stuff and no "trial period" either. Just download, unzip and click on the red earthquake 3D icon. No installation needed.

You can even put it on a flash stick and run it from there if you wish.

I recommend Earthquake 3D anyone who wants a nice, lightweight and easy-to-use app to view the latest USGS quake data on a 3D globe instead of the rather poor-looking map that USGS themselves now have.

To get your copy and/or check out Mr Walton's site, just go here: Wolton [dot] net Earthquake 3D page

Naturally, always scan anything you download from anywhere.

NOTE: the link does not take you to an automatic download. (It's forbidden for us to link to auto-downloads or auto-exe files.) The link just takes you to a page where you can download the app if you choose.

Also, I am recommending this as an ATS member only (not as ATS staff), and so what I say should not be taken as any official endorsement by ATS.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

edit on 25/6/13 by JustMike because: typos, as usual.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
At about 12:55am CST I began to have a ... ummm... sensation.
It felt like pressure, a crushing feeling, to my chest. The attached
thought I had from it was of collapsing inward.
Also, several major heart palpitations, and the only color
association my mind could attach was of smoky quartz

One last little oddity, the song verse stuck in my head,
"If you want to get out alive, oh oh, run for your life."
From 3 Days Grace

edit on 2-7-2013 by amarenell because: Fixed time

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by amarenell

I'll be the first to say that I am a believer in physical symptoms associated with quakes. Having said that, as a CPR instructor I have to tell you that you are describing some classic heart attack symptoms. Please be sure to be checked out...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you west coast! The first time these types of symptoms happened I freaked and got a physical. Fortunately, nothing wrong, well nothing they can tell

Just in case, though, I did just check my blood pressure. 116/70 pulse 70. It is a little high for me, but in the normal range. Normally I have a sense of something wrong with me, versus something wrong outside of me. But you are right, it never hurts to check.

top topics

<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join