It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 150
<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hubby called from work four hours ago said he was feeling something.

Now my ears are ringing & I'm feeling antsy & nervous.
The antsy could be the second cup of coffee I had to go with a slice of homemade bread though!
I only ever have one cup in the morning with breakfast. Not a big coffee drinker.

Young kitty was trilling about an hour ago, now they are both sleeping.
We wondered about solar flares, but the only link I have isn't showing anything different than it has been the last few days.

Seriously having trouble typing this little bit & concentrating. If it's not eq related, I will never, ever drink a second cup of coffee ever again!!! Feel like I'm going to jump right out of my skin.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
A little coincidence here, or maybe not...I don't post here at all, but have been reading recently, and keeping up with it. This antsy anxious feeling you're talking about keeps surfacing with me too, and for no reason that I can pin point.

Now...I'm the first to admit that I'm in possession of some raging OCD pretty much most days, but lately, it's been off the chart even for me, and the hypersensitivity that accompanies it is intolerable sometimes. I keep having this intermittent vague feeling of motion sickness, like something is physically shifting. Today at work I had a very strange moment, even for me. I tapped my arm, near the top, accidentally and very gently on the edge of some equipment....immediately I had back pain, nausea, Motion sickness and migraine symptoms that still haven't gone away, 8 hours later. It feels like just too extreme a reaction, and I've never had it before. Immediately afterwards I had a huge increase in how sensitive my hearing was, to the point where I had to hide in the stockroom to avoid people talking.

What keeps going through my head is the time I visited Seattle a few years ago. I suspect some kind of sensitivity to earth or mineral energies on my part... I've worked with crystals and minerals in a metaphysical way for almost two decades now, and am very aware of what I call location energy...geomancy in some form I guess... and what I felt in Seattle is unlike anything I've felt anywhere else. The best I can describe it is as if the energy contained in the molten elements within the earth is substantially closer to the surface in the PNW....like the crust is paper thin and there is lava just beneath your feet waiting to surface, and not in a good way. Even Vesuvius, which is still pretty active, didn't make me feel anything like this. That was more like "quick blast and a lot of mess to clean up....beware of rumblings and leave Naples".

I know I'm just reporting synchronicities and odd little happenings, but there may be a pattern. Something volcanic rumbling somewhere, that's more than just a single eruption, but linked to serious seismic movement. Another set of words that stuck in my head today was an extended conversation between people at work about the Canary Islands (I hope to god I'm not picking up on that possibility).

Will keep looking for clues and stuff and reporting anything I find curious. Thank you all for keeping this going.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It has been a while for me. But feeling those things again. Really hope I'm wrong again.

Peace and Love

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Oh I am glad to know I am not alone. I am feeling much anxiety all day today. Headache too. Been in bed mostly cause it feels safe there. I was woken up by my cat for no reason this morning. It didn't occur to me that it might be quake related til a while ago but it's so much on par with what I felt before that huge 7.7 a few weeks ago. If things pan out similarly to that. Then later tonight or sometime tomorrow would be when a quake would happen. I am just noting it for comparison but not making a prediction here. I just hate this feeling and would love for it to go away. It's awful and I am hoping everyone else feels better too.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well, just to go on record, for the last three days I have been exhausted. I mean sit down and fall asleep at any given moment tired. So really the opposite of what everyone has been feeling, but just wanted to throw it in the pot.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by caitlinfae

As I was away for a few days I've had to catch up.

It seems that several members are getting antsy/nervous at around the same time and when this has happened in the past it has sometimes indicated something major in the offing. (Anyone who wants to dig back through this thread will find that this has tended to be the case.)

So, although your post focuses on the PNW, and today we are seeing a significant swarm of quakes in SoCal, it's worth considering what this may all mean.

I doubt that anyone has ever established causative links between PNW quake events and those in SoCal -- and perhaps there aren't any -- but all the same we can wonder.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

reply to post by rbkruspe

I appreciate your comments as I'm sure we all do; I think it's also interesting that although you've not made or claimed a specific prediction, in the greater scheme of things the quake swarm in SoCal (which has really picked up in just the past few hours) is significant and could tie in with what you have sensed (or intuited, if we prefer that term).

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

If you happen to peek in, let us know how you are feeling today with all that is going on in So Cal!!!
You're kind of our 'on the spot reporter', so to speak!!!

Or it could be that you're feeling so miserable, that you won't even be ATSing today!!!
If so, I hope you check in later to fill us in on what it was like, symptom wise!

Be safe!!!
WOQ

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Wow. I guess it happened...I suppose the 24-48 hour theory is not as far out as I thought. I was starting to think nothing was going to happen and it was a false alarm.

I am in an extremely tense state now though. Muscle tension like stuff...The waves of panic subsided but not too much else except I felt exhausted physically. I spent a good majority of yesterday and last night just too darn tired to move. I also was feeling some heart palpitations which are never fun.

Odd enough I did not literally feel this. I might have been preoccupied and or in a place where I could not feel anything vibrate, shake etc.. I see there are other quakes happening too. The cat was driving me batty for a while then she disappeared into the 3rd dimension somewhere.

Anyway, how is everyone else doing? I appreciate your response Mike. Did not know you were staff either..is that recent? If so, congrats!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

reply to post by rbkruspe

It happened, all right... And maybe it wasn't just the SoCal swarm:

Magnitude 7.3 - OFFSHORE EL SALVADOR

2012 August 27 04:37:20 UTC

Details
Summary
Maps
Scientific & Technical
Tsunami

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 7.3
Date-Time

Monday, August 27, 2012 at 04:37:20 UTC
Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 10:37:20 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 12.278°N, 88.528°W
Depth 20.3 km (12.6 miles)
Region OFFSHORE EL SALVADOR
Distances 111 km (68 miles) S of Puerto El Triunfo, El Salvador
118 km (73 miles) S of Usulutan, El Salvador
123 km (76 miles) S of San Rafael Oriente, El Salvador
133 km (82 miles) S of Santiago de Maria, El Salvador
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 16.1 km (10.0 miles); depth +/- 4.2 km (2.6 miles)
Parameters NST=345, Nph=345, Dmin=130.2 km, Rmss=1.21 sec, Gp= 65°,
M-type=(unknown type), Version=D
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc000c7yw

Source: USGS

This is especially significant because of its location relative to the SoCal swarm:

(Map source at this USGS page Note that this page is regularly updated and the above-shown quakes will "drop off" within seven days.)

There could be a causative link between the SoCal events and the El Salvador quake, as they are situated along one of the same, greater fault lines in the region. In fact it seems likely, purely on the grounds that the SoCal swarm was very intense in the hours just prior to the El Sal event but has now quietened down.

Last night I surmised on the QuakeWatch thread here that the SoCal events might cause activity further N to NW, but neglected to state that it could also happen further S to SE.

Naturally it could, but I overlooked it as my focus was on the SoCal region. My error.

It now just remains to be seen if this is all, but that El Salvador quake was very strong and also quite shallow, so I'm fearful for the effects it might have had on nearby towns.

But in summary and just for future reference, I want it on record that the concerns being strongly voiced by rbkruspe and others in the past few days seem to have been justified.

By the way, rbkruspe, could you just remind me of roughly where you are? Don't need to be specific but a general region would help.

Mike

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yeah, that 7.3 is mostly what I meant. I did notice the swarminess of Cali when I posted the other night/morning. Seemed everything was quiet cept for Cali and Alaska at one point. I made a joke to my SO that all the miniquakes were because Apple won the case against Samsung..people jumping for joy over there in Cali.
Meanwhile I am over here in Norfolk VA.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbkruspe
Odd enough I did not literally feel this. I might have been preoccupied and or in a place where I could not feel anything vibrate, shake etc.. !

I wouldn't consider it odd at all that you didn't feel these quakes. If anything I would have been concerned if you had felt them in VA.

A 7.4 down there out in the ocean, was only felt by a few on land near by. Thank goodness you didn't feel them.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Good morning Mike! I'm just getting done with my first cup of coffee and it seems as if Cali is still ok, never the less still a lot of activity over there including the off shore big one.

Earthquake Report is reporting the off shore quake was coming in so conflicted, even with tsunami info because the quake happened on the oceanic plate and not the North American plate.

Do you mind explaining this in detail for me.

Also, do you think it's possible this is volcanic related, I know we were throwing the idea around yesterday and TA made a thread, but it seems likely to me even more this morning. It's just soooo active and California is basically a huge volcanic state, is it not?? Advise me please. Lol

Thanks!

Jenn
edit on 27-8-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Good morning sweet lady! :-)

Let us hope our New Madrid stays quiet and doesn't wake up with all of this activity on the coast!

I wonder if it could trigger such an event.

Sometimes I wonder too much about too much stuff. Lol

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Good morning to you!

I am ever watchful of that pesky New Madrid. I know we have seen a few little pops lately around her, and I just keep getting on edge, only to watch her return to slumber. One of these days she is going to wake up and try to shake us fleas off of her back.

I hope we see a few little ones after all of the rattling out west. That energy had to go somewhere....

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Yeah, it was wild yesterday watching it unfold.

I'm anxious to hear what Mr. Vidale has to say, ya know. I wonder if he was working hard? Lol

Here is a pretty good read about the domes surrounding the Salton Sea. www.sci.sdsu.edu...

Volcanoes? In the Imperial Valley? At the south end of the Salton Sea, southwest of Mullet Island, are five small volcanic domes. They are oriented along a northeast trend, or perpendicular to the trace of the San Andreas fault system. The domes rise 100 to 150 feet above the valley floor, and collectively are known as Obsidian Butte. They are extruded into the Quaternary alluvium and are thought to be fewer than 20,000 years old. Their composition is rhyolite and pumice, with subordinate obsidian. Obsidian is volcanic glass. It is a volcanic rock that forms when the lava is cooled very rapidly. Mineral crystals do not have time to form in the molten lava, and the noncrystalline mass becomes a glass when it is subject to sudden cooling. Obsidian is often found associated with pumice, often in layers as at Obsidian Butte. Pumice is the hardened residue of volcanic froth, or very liquid rock highly charged with gases. If the gas content is high, then the bubbles "frozen" in place upon hardening can give some buoyancy to the rock. It is commonly thought that pumice rock floats on water. Sometimes it does; usually not. Pumice boulders, because they are light and easily handled, are used extensively for landscaping. The Cerro Prieto volcano, 15 miles south of Mexicali, is a rhyolite dome that is the product of a single eruptive cycle in the late Pleistocene.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Good morning Mike! I'm just getting done with my first cup of coffee and it seems as if Cali is still ok, never the less still a lot of activity over there including the off shore big one.

Earthquake Report is reporting the off shore quake was coming in so conflicted, even with tsunami info because the quake happened on the oceanic plate and not the North American plate.

Do you mind explaining this in detail for me.

Hi Jenn,

looking at the reports on the Earthquake-Report website here, I can follow what they're talking about in terms of "confusion".

It seems that there was some delay in reports coming in from the near-regional networks and this puzzled the E-R people because at the strength they were noting from sites like USGS, it seemed amazing that local people didn't feel it and log on in large numbers to get more info.

The reason they allegedly didn't feel it (much) was because the quake was supposedly not on the plate that part of the Sth American land mass sits on, but rather:

...the hypocenter of the earthquake was located in the oceanic plate and not in the North American plate. This event was in other words an intra-plate event and not a subduction earthquake like most of the earthquakes are in the area.

If the quake did in fact occur intra-plate on the oceanic plate (ie away from an edge of it), then its effects on people on land (and on another plate) would be far less than if it were on a subduction zone boundary -- meaning on or near the edges between two colliding plates where one edge is pushing down under the other.

So, their explanation makes sense. However, they later posted another update:

USGS has located the epicenter of all events in the subduction zone below the continental plate while snet was putting it more into the ocean.

(Both of the above quotes from Earthquake-Report.com at the link given above.)
The current map from USGS shows that they do, indeed, have the quake located on the "land" plate and in the subduction zone:

Source: USGS at this link (Note that this map will change over time.)

Problem: if the USGS has the quake in the right place -- namely on a subduction zone boundary and on the same plate as the nearest land is on -- then why didn't many people feel it at all?

I suspect that the E-R people were right: it's possible the quake was not so close to a subduction zone boundary and was perhaps further west of where USGS has it. If this is the case it would explain the very limited effects on the nearby regions. And yes, even USGS can get things slightly wrong. No-one's infallible in the seismic sciences, after all.

Also, do you think it's possible this is volcanic related, I know we were throwing the idea around yesterday and TA made a thread, but it seems likely to me even more this morning. It's just soooo active and California is basically a huge volcanic state, is it not?? Advise me please. Lol

Thanks!

Jenn

Volcanic related? Jenn, I have no idea, really. I've mentioned that there could be volcanic influences in some quakes which otherwise seem "normally" tectonic, but without detailed analyses of seismo traces (wave forms) we're in the dark on this score.

As for Cali, yes, it's volcanic and besides the ongoing hot springs and so forth, there's the Long Valley Caldera and other evidence of much greater volcanism in the past.

Considering the theory that the Pacific plate is colliding with the Nth America plate all along the western side of the continent, and also that this action is believed to have partly formed the Cascades and its volcanoes (but not Long Valley), then major movement of the Pacific plate (and related subduction) could lead to volcanic activity. That's not my opinion, just what I've gleaned from reading reports from those who study these things.

However that doesn't mean that anything cataclysmic is imminent.
These changes have been going on for millions of years and what we've observed "live" is not even an eyeblink. Geological records suggest that things have not fizzled out completely yet, though.

Best regards and sorry for the lonng reply!

Mike

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

No, thank you for taking the time to explain it all.

I'm off to work for a few hours but will check back in regarding the latest when I return.

Peace and love!

Jenn

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I sincerely hope and pray that the New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ) stays nice and quiet and if it can do that for a good few decades at least then that would be a blessing.

If we consider how poorly prepared people in California really are (eg only about 20% have quake insurance), and that the people in the PNW are even less prepared -- in spite of the fact that sooner or later they're going to have another quake on a scale like Japan's big one last year -- they are still way ahead of most people and govt authorities in the NMSZ region.

While the next "big one" in Cali is going to be very bad and a megathrust event in the PNW could (potentially) be even worse, I shudder to think what will happen if the NMSZ experiences an event around magnitude 8 like they did 200 years ago. I expect very few people there have more than the vaguest notion that it's even possible, let alone have read the reports from FEMA about the potential effects.

If wishes can make it so, then I wish a thousand times that the NMSZ stays quiet. The alternative is just too horrible to fully contemplate.

Mike

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Ha, ha, there wasn't just 'confusion' at Earthquake-Report, they must have been 'all shook up'! (Sorry!)
First thing I noticed was:

has still a quiet important error margin

No biggie, adrenaline typo!

Then I noticed their first list was not in sequential order. No biggie, might have gotten the info in that order!

But then I noticed the first list is dated Sept 26, 2012! Kinda biggie!!!!

Source:earthquake-report.com...

WOQ

top topics

<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join