It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 143
<< 140  141  142    144  145  146 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Whoa, good point!!! (Head smack! Duh!) Thanks!
It never even crossed our minds. We weren't observing everything!
Back to the drawing board!!!
WOQ

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Very interesting, I used to kill watches ALL the time too. My mother said it was because I had a "magnetic personality". =p I've since stopped wearing them so I don't have to deal with it. My phone and iPod batteries seem to run down a lot faster than anyone else I know who has one. My gaming controllers break after about 2-3 months, which I think isn't normal since they're fairly good quality Logitech products. Something just seems to short out in them and they spazz out and I have to go buy a new one to continue playing my games. Hell, even the battery in the smoke detector in my bedroom seems to go dead faster than all the other detectors in the house. It's like I just suck all the energy out of everything around me.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

Maybe we're on to something!
It will be interesting to look into it more anyway!!!

Come to think of it, hubby has issues getting the remote control to work as fast as it should too!
When I saw him having to try three times to change the channel or mute it when the phone rang, I wondered why. I just thought he wasn't pressing it right, or his eyes were getting bad!!!
I always tease him & tell him to let me 'drive'!!!

The kids got him two Mp3 players that didn't last long either. Hmmmmm............

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I can only offer my opinion for what you are describing about your husband. Because your husband seems to be especially sensitive to the earth's energy and if electronic equipment he uses seems to malfunction, it seems to me that he must have a very highly tuned energy field and is both very receptive to energy on a psychic and biologic level and he must also have a kinetic effect on the energy around him. People like him usually are very psychic or highly intuitive, does that seem to fit him? I say all of this because of people I have known throughout my life that have the same things happen to them.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I've had problems with my phone and remote controls not responding when I push buttons on them as well. So many times I've tried to send a text message and I know I hit the send button but when I get another text an hour later asking why I didn't respond I realize my message is still sitting there waiting to get sent. My fiance's TV remote just won't work for me half the time but he never has any problems with it. I recently somehow killed the charger for my laptop as well.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Quite understandable.

EVERYONE ON THE THREAD WITH SUCH SENSATIONS COULD CONSIDER DOING THIS:

You might consider keeping a journal . . .

Commit to just one sentence per night before sleep. If you write more, OK.

Reflect on the day . . . and your sensations, feelings etc. that seem to be correlated with quakes.

Have a column for each type of feeling. You can draw up a form on a spread sheet and print it landscape orientation.

Rate each feeling 1-10 in intensity.

Describe any unusual aspects to the sensation. Date and timestamp each entry. Log the time when the feeling began and if it's still ongoing at the time of the entry. Log when it ends as near as you can.

Have a column for reported quakes--A) their magnitude B) the depth of the quakes; C their location D) the miles from you to the location.

Have a column for animal activity--a column for each type of animal activity--maybe their own sheet--and rate that 1-10.

Even 4 weeks of such data would be interesting.

90 DAYS OF SUCH DATA would be very interesting and potentially powerful. 120 days--we might really start to see some stats worth playing even more significantly with.

IF WE COULD GET 24 PEOPLE TO DO SUCH--IT WOULD BE VERY VERY INTERESTING AND EVEN POTENTIALLY MORE POWERFUL.

No guarantees . . . but if you post it here at the end of each week, I'll try and put it in an xcell spreadsheet and see what basic stats we could run on it. IF THERE'S SOMEONE else more gifted in statistics than I am, I'd prefer they do it. It's a weak area for me.

edit on 18/3/2012 by BO XIAN because: an addition

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Hmmm.....I don't know if I would say psychic? I don't know enough about all the aspects of that.
Intuitive maybe.

When our daughter & grandkids were in a wreck, he called from work to see what was wrong, he felt something.

The exact time when my brother was killed in a car wreck, (We found out the time later.), hubby woke up & said he couldn't breathe, & he was white as a sheet.

When my brother-in-law died of cancer, (We found out later.), hubby had a seizure at the same time, while he was asleep. We hadn't been expecting it either or we wouldn't have left the hospital & come home.

When we feel something, we've learned to look at the time, so we know later!
His mother is the same way, she will call & ask what's wrong, who's sick?!

That's part of what freaks him out about feeling eqs. He hasn't quite figured out how to always tell the difference between eq feelings & something wrong in the family feelings! Thank goodness most of the time it's been eqs! He doesn't want to feel either of them!!! I think if he didn't fight it & paid more attention, he could sort everything out better.
Maybe it's a guy thing??? If it was me, I'd be keeping track of everything! But I guess if I felt as much 'stuff' as he does, I'd be 'over it already' too!!!
WOQ

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

I'm so glad hubby isn't the only one with button 'issues'!!! I was beginning to worry!
I wonder if it's only eq people like 'us' who experience electronic 'gremlins', or if other people do too?
It might be hard to find out objectively. I'm sure there must be other people who 'feel' eqs but aren't aware of what it is.
So even if they experienced electronic snafus, we wouldn't know if they were eq sensitive!

'Magnetic personality", love it! I'll have to remember that one!!!
WOQ

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I've thought about keeping a journal.
I've even wondered if they still make that yellow graph paper. But you're right, I would need something like a time stamp.
You see, I'm a techtard! I never did find out if that was pc! Maybe I should just say I'm very tech challenged!
One of these days I have to make time to get 'edjumacated'!!!

Maybe one of our kids could set something up for me. I would love to plot everything out!
Hubby is a reluctant guinea pig, but he's slowly coming around!

Uh,oh! One cat just went waaay under the desk! Far off 6 or bigger, or smaller closer one? My ears are ringing a little right now too! No, thinking about it more, since it's just one of the cats, it's probably a 5 something.
I hate how some of the bigger quakes have happened between 1 & 2 in the morning our time! I am ready to go to bed & the cats start acting funny. Then I want to stay up & keep watching USGS to see if something turns up! And of course Quake watch!
WOQ
edit on 18-3-2012 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

By timestamp in this case I meant just writing the time of the entry that you're writing.

Or writing the time the physiological sensations started and stopped. etc.

Nothing more complicated than looking at a watch or clock and writing the time on the form printed off that you created in a spreadsheet.

In the spreadsheet it would be nothing more complicated than creating columns with something like the following headings:

ROW . . . PHYSICAL.......TIME...DATE.....TIME.....ANIMAL....BH......QUAKE..TIME..MAG....DISTANCE....DEPTH
................SENSATIONS..TARTD...........ENDED...BEHAVIORS.....WHERE................TO QUAKE...............
1................HEADACHE...15:45...MAR 20 22:45....CAT RUNNING....SEATTLE.23:00...6.8....1,000MI........2,000 FT
..................................................................................AROUND

OH, I FORGOT TO INCLUDE A COLUMN FOR 1-10 IN INTENSITY ESTIMATE.

ETC. Hard to get colums right without doing it on a spreadsheet and making an image and hosting the image then posting the link. late in the day. not going to bother with all that tonight.

Can you get the idea?

Make the spreadsheet on the computer then print it out.

then fill it out in ink as your journal.

OR

just take a yellow legal pad and hold it horizontally like landscape orientation and draw some columns and write in your notes that way. Later transfer them to a spreadsheet.

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if it does or does not. LOL.

edit on 19/3/2012 by BO XIAN because: An addition

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Interesting observations by everyone about watch killing and so forth. My grandfather was like this. Back in the days when only wind-up watches were around he just couldn't wear one for any length of time. They'd just quit working. But oddly, after battery-powered (pulsed quartz ) watches came on the market, I bought him one and he was able to wear it with no problems.

Seeing as he lived in London (England) I doubt that his watch problem was directly attributable to earthquakes. It seemed to be some kind of magnetic field effect. Also, I had a friend who was the opposite but obviously with a related "condition". He was a watch starter! One day I gave him a wind-up watch that had stopped and he held it in his hand -- completely still, no shaking -- and after a few seconds it started running again.

This thing with upsetting other sensitive electronic devices is also something I've observed with people on several occasions over the years. Again, it just appears the some people are extremely electrical and their own electric field affects these instruments. Many cases have been recorded and there are various members on ATS who have reported these effects and purely on the balance of probabilities I doubt that all of them would be living in quake-prone regions.

However, it could still be the case that some of those who do live in such regions become more -- ummm -- electrically disturbed (shall we say) under certain seismic conditions. We know that the ground (crust) and atmosphere sometimes show energy disturbances or changes prior to and during some quakes (and apparently after) and so these variations in the usual energy levels in the region may have knock-on effects to people and other living things.

To BO: some good ideas there re record-keeping. I think we should discuss this further and see if we can develop a standard format that everyone participating can use. (That is, use your suggestion as the basis and see what members would like to add/leave out.)

I'd only like to add that it wouldn't really be necessary for everyone to note details of quakes as we can follow up on that aspect later and look for any correlations. But yes, as a project I agree that it's worth doing.

Mike

edit on 19/3/12 by JustMike because: added a clarification.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Sure.

I don't have a huge stake in a specific list of details.

I do tend to have a bias in favor of more info recorded than less . . . but that's just my recovering OB-COM personality. LOL.

Info can always be ignored or discarded later.

It's usually not possible to go back and collect data not collected to begin with.

Yeah, we could add the details of the quakes later. However, if it's available soon, why not just add it in soon.

Would you be able to do the basic statistics like T-tests and correlation stuff on a spreadsheet of data?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

This is a really good idea. Hopefully there are enough participants that will come forward on this thread that we could get some valid correlations. I know how to do stats from school but I don't practice it very much so I readily admit to being rusty in it but I still can reference my textbook, and I have the correct calculator in order to do curves and such. My problem is I am usually overwhelmed with school and don't have time for ATS very often, and I still have 5-6 weeks left of this semester, so what I can help with and contribute to may be sporadic for the time being. Stats can be gathered from small groups as small as 4 or 5, but the larger the better. Let's see how many are willing to participate. I really like this idea because my interest in all of this is that I am fascinated with how our bodies respond to environmental stimuli and how it affects on our bodily systems, and even more fascinating is the triggering event can be thousands and thousands of miles away so there is a great deal of power in that....but because medicine is evidence based finding the correlations takes time and research, and there isn't any. So yeah, this excites me!
Maybe I should change my name to justanerdatheart...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Yep, I get the idea.
I was getting ahead of myself with the time stamp.
How to prove I didn't add stuff later to fudge the results!
I've always been one to think ahead!
Since this would be just this thread's experiment, I guess we wouldn't need it. No unbelievers here!!!
Thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I think a project like that would be great. It could be a 'Quake Quest', ha,ha!!!
It sure would help if we could tie things together better after doing that. Or be able to interpret the signs more specifically.

I just saw where TN had a 1.5 quake last night at 11:01 PM (CDT). I posted at 11:07 PM (CDT), that one of the cats had gone under the desk to hide while I was typing! I started typing that well before 11 & was interupted at least once while doing it, so I'd say she's pretty timely! They had one in the afternoon too, but I wasn't home to see what she did then.
There was the 5.5 in New Guinea this morning too. But I would be inclined to think it was the one in TN.
Interesting stuff for sure! Looking forward to learning more!
WOQ

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I'm quite similar . . . more than a little rusty. Not sure if I can find my statistics books. But the net probably has that info.

I think simple T-tests and correlation would do.

Of course, if someone wants to go for trend analysis and complicated stuff--be my guest! LOL.

Maybe I'll try and figure out how to get an XCell spreadsheet posted in the next day or 3.

If anyone else wants to manage that, great.

If anyone wants to suggest a different list of columns, that's OK. We could discuss the merits of which version.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yeah. The naysayers can go chase themselves.

If record keepers wanted to have an extra measure of authentication, they could have a housemate or spouse or some such initial an important entry or all entries.

Not a biggy, to me.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I agree this could be a great project. I am sure interested in participating.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

GREAT.

Maybe I'll go through the last 10 pages or so in the next day or 3 and try and pull out all those who seem to experience such sensations who might be willing to participate . . . and collect their names . . . I wonder it it would be fitting to do it all on this thread or to involve the research forum or what.

Is there Anyone or a mod with experience who could give us some direction on that?

Is there a spreadsheet form in the research forum?

Hmmm

More to check out tomorrow . . .

Thanks thanks.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Ears were ringing most of the evening... well more like just my right ear. I rarely ever get ear ringing at all. Started around 6 PM PST. It's now a little after 3 AM, can't sleep, feeling restless. Ears stopped ringing for now, just feeling a bit wound up and tense for no reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 140  141  142    144  145  146 >>

join