It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I stop crashed apps that are still running?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Lets say Im running a music production application and its either dodgy software or my computer has issues with memory or whatever latency with the soundcard or plugin.... the program quits and closes but its still running in task manager, and it dont stop when I press the cancel / stop program.. all I can do is restart the computer cause it wont let me start the app again as its still running, and its getting on my nerves, so is there some command I can type in the run box or some other windows app I have on board that will kill it and save me restarting?

Im running windows XP.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
download process explorer. it's much better at killing stubborn processes. if that doesn't do it, then your only choice may be to restart.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

Oh actually I have that already I forgot, I'l try that thanks.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Nope.. doesnt even stop when I kill process in that, or any other option.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

clearly the software you are using is buggy.

If it was free downloaded-try downloading it again, do and uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

There may also be a conflict with that software and some other on your computer.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well I would have to agree its bound to be buggy software. Im just not sure if a buggy program can refuse to shut down by all ways available..

Oh and I have uninstalled and reinstalled lots of times before.. stripped everything out, got a new version elsewhere, same issues.

[edit on 05/09/2008 by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sadly, yes, one sign of buggy/crashing software is that it won't shut down.

Now that said, you can try running it without other software-it might be a conflict in software.

For example, it is not uncommon that if you have 2 itterations of the same program- they may conflict with each other.
An example would be trying to run multiple antivirus programs at once.

If you are of a mind, try this:

Format and reload os/drivers/sp2..., but no 3rd party software.

Now load up your program and see how it does-if it works ok, you know that another program is causing the issue.

You can slowly load one program at a time-reboot after each program and try your program...until the program no longer works.

Now lets hear it for the ATS dancers:

:pbjti me:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Haha.. ok mate thanks for that, but seeing as the software is obviously shifty..... I'l just leave all that alone

Anyway realy I should look for a music apps forum I just thought Id try here first.

Thanks again.

top topics

join