It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending Wildlife Crisis on Catalina Island, CA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Icarus, my heart goes out to you and your brother and also the animals. Why slaughter them, when they could go to conservancy elsewhere? Why MACHINE GUNS, pesticides in their food (which BTW could be eaten by most any other life form, including kids) and force them to die of thirst? This is just plain cruel and there's no way around that.

Icarus, I went to Catalina back in 1961 when I was 6. We went for the day and I loved it. The flying fish, the goats(I do remember them), the deer, and all of the marvelous flora and fauna there, was beautiful. I'm upset this is happening, as well and I will make sure to contact the Conservancy to express my most unhappy and outraged opinion.

This is outrageous. They could at least kill them humanely. Of course, the Dept of Fish and Game are all pretty much idiots who know nothing about humane treatment of animals.
Icarus, thanks for making this thread and bringing this to our attention.

What do you bet that after the slaugher, they will then develop the land left behind?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've wondered about the development part. They are planning a winery and resort for Rancho Escondido. Now that you mention it, that may have some bearing on the reason for the push to get rid of the deer. I'm sure they don't want the deer eating any of their precious grapes.

Thanks for the positive response. Back in the 70's, when I moved there, the Island was pristine, a real jewel. The Harbor was clean, the streets were safe late at night, and the wild flora and fauna lived in well managed harmony.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yes, it was a beautiful, amazing place back then. Didn't know about Rancho Escondido, where is that?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Near the Airport in the Sky. If you take the road west from there toward Shark Harbor and the Isthmus, it is only a couple miles. There has been a horse ranch there for decades. The Wrigley's used to raise Arabian horses there way back in the day. Now it is a stop for tour buses. The tack room is supposed to be pretty famous among equestrian enthusiasts.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
About machine gunning goats on Santa Catalina Island. It never happened. Although the goats on San Clemente Island (owned by the U.S. Navy) were all killed, being shot from helicopters. The goats on Santa Catalina Island were sport hunted for many years, but the Conservancy (an unusual name for a group that does not want to conserve but to eliminate a lot of species on the island!) finally hired a shepherd to removed all of the goats which were taken to the mainland and used for bush cleaning/reduction. The pigs were also sport hunted for many years. The Conservancy hired a man (or men) with dogs, traps, and rifle to exterminate the pigs. The pigs were killed and left to rot or become food for the few predators on the island.
And now the deer . . . they are under the control of the California Department of Fish and Game. The deer have been, and still are, sport hunted. The Conservancy hires a guide service, a group of men who see that right number of animals are taken. Because of the recent brush fire, many deer are now finding their way into Avalon. This year the Conservancy (and the people of Avalon) want more deer harvested so that the remainder have enough forage. The water issue may be a hoax. The CDFG would not allow anyone to cause the deer to be without water.
I have hunted Santa Catalina many times and find it a pleasant experience along with the venison I have in the freezer.
I was born on Santa Catalina and have visited many times in my 75 years.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken about the goats. They were killled as I described. I was living there at the time. I also disagree that a majority of the residents of Avalon are in favor of the Conservancy's deer policy.

Great that you were born on the Island and have hunted there. You must have contacts on the Island. Have you spoken with any of them recently in regard to the topic?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm not sure who "most of the residents" are who oppose deer hunting on the island. I am aware of residents who get permits each year to hunt. No names please! On my last hunt on the island, the guide service received a call from woman at Two Harbors. She asked the the guide service send hunters to her area because the deer were eating away at her gardens. The deer need to be managed and the easiest and most economic way is by harvesting (hunting, if you wish!).

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No names necessary.

I agree that properly managed hunting is the answer to the deer issue. I am in favor of that. The CDFG allows the Conservancy 500 tags a year. This year they are issuing 1,200. They are asking hunters to take at least one doe. The hunting is going to begin in late July, when many does will be pregnant or nursing fawns. That is not proper management, imo.

You may be right about them fencing Haypress reservoir, it is completely inside the burn zone. Yet the fences are deer proof, and they did nothing to see that deer inside the burn zone were let out. Also, the burn zone is just over 4,200 acres out of 56,000, not a significant loss of habitat. Certainly not enough to justify more than doubling the number of deer tags issued and targeting pregnant and nursing does.

You haven't addressed the herbicide being used on the long grass and anise that is primary deer fodder, either. As a hunter yourself, I would think you might like to see the Conservancy maintain a healthy deer population on the Island. It appears they are using the fire and erosion issues as an excuse to try and eradicate it completely.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join