It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture taken Wednesday morning - May 7th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Driving to work last Wednesday morning allowed my wife an I an interesting sight. I took this picture around 6:45 in the morning in Ft Worth TX along I820E, traveling northbound. I wanted to pull over to get some clearer shots but we were already late for work and the weather wasn't too nice.

Below the embedded image is a link to the original, unedited picture.

Original picture

[edit on 14-5-2008 by TXRabbit]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Have you got any more info?

Like was it moving? Was it Fast? Etc etc.

By just looking at the pic it could be anything, a light, sparks from the overhead wires cause by a storm etc etc.

What else can you tell us about it?

Cheers,
Mikey

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It wasn't really moving but had sort of a flickering effect. The color and size stayed pretty consistant. Traffic was slowing down a bit and we didn't see anyone pulled over etc. I also checked the news and didn't see any mention of it

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Perhaps a Short circuit ?
The curvature of the cable seems to indicate that there was a pylon right there, besides it was raining ...

upload.wikimedia.org...

... Just my two cents

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Definately looks like it, those suckers are bright, and when they finally flat out explode are quite ear splitting. God forbid you're looking at one when they do! You'll be seeing yellow the rest of your life!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
1st pic appears to be a phase to phase short circuit on a high voltage transmission line.
Probably 115kv - 230kv.

These usually trip (turn off) very quickly, well within a second and if this fault was on long enough for you to shoot a pic, it failed to relay (trip) as it should.

2nd pic looks like a phase to ground fault in a tree on a distribution level circuit. (12kv-16kv.)
Sometimes these don't generate enough current to trip properly and will burn for a while.
I say burn, but you're looking at an electrical arc.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by internos

Definately looks like it, those suckers are bright, and when they finally flat out explode are quite ear splitting. God forbid you're looking at one when they do! You'll be seeing yellow the rest of your life!

They can get loud and sound very much like a huge arc welder when a fault is on whether phase to phase or phase to ground.

No worse than inadvertently seeing the arc from an arc welder up close, you may see white or yellow for a while, but it's short lived.
You can get ultraviolet burns - which are what sunburns are - and end up looking like Rocky Racoon if you're wearing shades.
One good flash at the distribution level voltages from 10' or so away will have you looking like you'd spent an overcast day on a sailboat.
Bright sky, white sails, white boat....

I think pylons may be the name for towers in the eastern part of the country and towers is the name for pylons in the western part of the country.
Interesting terminology nevertheless.

new topics

top topics

join