It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who/what is this Anonymous poster? A bot to bump threads? Joined 5/5/08

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Sorry if this as already come up but I noticed that when applying to certain threads I could see the entire post an Anonymous ATS'er had made that had either yet to be authorised to appear in the actual thread or had been removed/ denied to appear - In the "Topic Review" under the box where you type a message/ reply.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Honestly, while it is in good faith this opens up the floodgates to abuse from those who want to discredit their enemies and give themselves some more ammo and backing.

I don't think monitoring IP Addresses is a big deterrent either. That means bupkus.
Any joe-blow can find out how to set up a Dynamic IP and change theirs within 10 minutes or so, it's not that hard.
This way they can circumvent any time-limit restrictions.

Then anytime their posts aren't approved for violating T&C they can just change their IP and try again, maybe a more lenient Moderator will let them slide or they'll reword them a bit.

[edit on 16/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
currently 50% of my "Top 50 Subscriptions" last post's are from "anonymous poster" so how long till 60-75% are that way...may be at 90% I'll drop my user name,use my old lap top and go Anonymous....(sheeple following the heard )

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Marshall Ormus

Nope, I dont think it has come up. Good catch.

I also noticed this…You can see the anon post before it gets to the board. In reply to.

So now, as you see the anon posters comment, you could actually post a reply to the anon post before it hits the board. (provided it’s approved) That would be funny! ….“I predict the next anon poster will say( fill in the blank) see, I really am a psychic master sent from epsilon bootes“……I think it may be just another glitch
In the experiment. We shall see.

Peace
edit; when will i ever learn to spell

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have a question regarding this topic.

Why was anonymous posting discontinued in the first place, and why was it returned?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

The first anonymous board was stopped because there was too much spam. I think.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord

Ok wow. I am not kidding I seriously had no idea it was actually anonymous posts...

I really just assumed it was a member being humorous with the avatar and headings.

I also thought this member was schizophrenic, and was in the process of deciding to make him a respected foe or ignore him, when I came across this thread. I don't discriminate against schizophrenics, I just thought he was mean, and unwiling to answer my questions lol.... I have a few suggestions...

Responding to the Anonymous Poster is near impossible. You mention they have to wait 12 hours between each post? That makes since because I never get responses from the same anonymous poster!
I think it should be shortened to1 hour. The perk to become a member should be improvements to the ATS Store hehe
And of course distinction. 12 hours is just too long to for 'hot threads'. Impossible to have discussion.

I don't know how many people didn't catch on to the fact Anonymous Poster is in fact all the anonymous posters... I for one had absolutely no idea. I am thinking maybe just one more thing on the headings, avatar, or signature that just really makes it obvious!

Like maybe where is says "member' it can say 'anonymous member'.

I say that because the member name, headings, and sig are all adjustable. But the "member, writer, fighter, scholar" is not per se. So it would be clear to ATS members there was really something unique about 'Anonymous Poster'. Hope this made at least some sense, heh

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I didn't bother to read throught the rest of the thread here, just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I lurked for maybe a day or two before joining. The desire to post was a key motivator, yet since then, I have been a very active member.

I don't really bother to read the Anonymous posts. I just give them a quick glance.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
and here I was thinking this NEW MEMBER was just the MOST prolific poster who had EVER joined ATS.......oftentimes very smart...sometimes not so much.

I am SO glad to learn what this is really all about, for I was really raising my eyebrows about how POST HAPPY this new member was lol.......

(I am such a true blond)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by kosmicjack

Seems to be all posts by the "Anonymous" user. I haven't seen once since I added him/it to my ignore list.

Can you do that.
They come in with unusually good posts.

Well except the nutty ones which do not pass inspection.
Weed out the chaff.

I need my wealth outstanding conspiracy centric posts so focused
full of unyielding knowledge make that option useless for me.

The free energy area is new to me and already found great posts
but the anonymous poster on one sort of made out like they were
magic tricks.

Like the demo said, the oil companies could care less about these
inventions and are worth discovering.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well here is a Prime Example why I think the Anonymous Poster is a BAD IDEA

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I am a Black Level researcher with NASA. I was recently dismissed due to job related issues, and now I believe my life is in danger. What you are seeing are fake images issued by us, in an effort to deceive the public. The mars you know, in fact, the universe as understood by the majority of the population is a complete hoax. There are things out there that no one should know about, and thus we keep everything hidden. It is better that no one know about these things. In fact, valid proof of this is seen

This was let through the screening...

How is this any different than a member making such an unsubstantiated post? It will generate the same result of responses, albeit its not a thread on its own

Bad Idea IMO

[edit on 19-5-2008 by zorgon]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Does he know why there is so much black paint is on the A bombs
we dropped on Japan.
Ans: no CGI and photos had to be touched up
Now even mock up models of the 'original' have the black paint areas.
Get to work on it guys, remove some more evidence of German
markings.

Thats a black lever cover up up or was it before his time.

Anonymous ATS are more idiotic than regular ATS member posts.
If they tended that way. But give us something we can keep.
Just the chance of intelligence is so low the ignore might be best.

Hunting for underground bases on the Moon is more successful than
showing us the lander remains in GRIDKEEPER youtube videos.
Which would be more satisfying. One is nonsense taking away
from the hunt for lunar landing verification which is also shoved
aside by gravy train Mars propaganda.

CGI must not be perfected yet to show these landing site remains.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My initial reaction to this idea is a negative one. After lurking here for years, the desire to participate is what drove me to join the site. Then I was sorry I waited so long, as the experience is greatly improved for those who join. Not to be a whiner, but I think this is slightly unfair to those of us who have made a commitment to be part of the 'ecosystem'.

I do appreciate the addition of new features, but I think if someone wants to be able to use the forum to reach ATS members, it should be a two-way exchange.

My suggestion: make all anonymous posts invisible by default. In between posts by members, there could be a headings for a posts by "Anonymous User", with a choice to "click to view". That way, people would know that the best way to be heard is still to introduce yourself and say "hi". Join the party!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I see a few problems with this Anon Poster idea but on second thought, I think it's a great idea!

I know before I joined here a couple of years ago, I lurked here for some time before finally registering because I felt intimidated by the overall quality and intelligence displayed in so many posts in this forum.

But most definitely, if I had been allowed to post something anonymously without having to register, I probably would have used that feature just to get my feet wet before making the final plunge (registering).

So I can certainly see the Anon. Poster feature as a psychologically painless option for potential new members to participate in this forum. This said though, I don't think it's a good idea for them to have to wait 12 hrs. to be able to reply to a reply that some member made on his Anon. post. I think they should be able to reply right away to those comments made on their post. That most people put some amount of thought, time and effort into those comments they post on this board, most eventually want to be recognized for the message they are attempting to convey and this would be the ultimate incentive for them to finally register to this forum and become a regular member.

So overall, I think the Anon. Poster option is a very good idea!

[edit on 21-5-2008 by wang_ke_~]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Just found this thread, and wanted to throw in my two cents. Hope it isnt too late! The first place I noticed anon posts was in my thread about the bumperstickers. I think it is a cool idea to let people post anonymously. I am all for any feature that brings people here who may not normally post on such a site. If you google a topic like ufos, and a great ats thread pops up, the anon may be tempted to stick around and join. Maybe they want to test the waters first. I think it is a good idea.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I created this thread in the ReallyATS forum 3/1/2008 calling for an Anonymous Account:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is an extended (edited for content) excerpt for those of you without access:

Anonymous Threads and Posts at rATS

What would it take to give rATS members the ability to start threads and post here anonymously?
Would you be more inclined to share at rATS if there were assurances of anonymity, with regard to what you say?

Would big brother even allow ATS such?
What if it was still "moderated"... just without screen names?

.....???........l - Writer

We are already anonymous. I make a post such as this one, you don't know who I am, or where I live. Unless I make the information available, we will always be anonymous here.

About being more inclined about posting here, members probably think that they can not post quality threads up to the standards of RATS, and only read the posts. At least, that's what I do.

Sri Oracle - Writer-Scholar

But I know ....???......... just posted that...

And if what you just said was colorfully RATS it would color what I think of hexidecimal on the main board.

let me take a quote from another RATS thread:

"My current mode of thinking is that if i have something that contraversial or secret, the best thing to do is not tell anyone on the internet, and certainly don't post it anywhere. I've always worked that way in life, if you don't want to risk your information falling into the wrong hands, keep your mouth shut! Thing is, that's not going to get the truth out to those who can handle it best though is it?"

What if you want rATS to know... but you don't want to be known as the one that spilled the beans?

Also... to moderation... what if one were to wish to teach rATS how to make crack rock?

would you allow discussion of the means to produce such here?

not that sharing grandma's recipe is my intent... but I am curious where the boundaries occur in this forum...

I just bought in and based on what I have read so far in this forum, I think a little extra anonymity at rATS would light a fire in the discussion.

Perhaps just an anonymous post with a post number?

Sri Oracle

Originally posted by ..........
And why on earth would anyone want to do that anyway on a conspiracy theory board?

perhaps there is something special about the experience... a grand conspiracy only seen through the shaking eyes of a twitching crackhead... and only understandable through a tale he tells which takes place in a crack den with crack whores.

What if you don't want to be known as the resident crackhead... but have a bit of crackheaded wisdom to share?

you have heard of the phenomenon of "burning your bulb a little brighter" ?

the pop connotation is that it burns out faster... you die young.

the occult connotion is that you see more, and faster than those around you... hocus pocus to you.

not to dwell on the drug aspect though... what about discussion of effective means of disrupting police or military? what about disucussion of effective means of staging a coup? cheating on exams, conspiring senior pranks?

How does one design computer viruses? There are men conspiring to inundate your computer right now with viruses.... and we're not allowed to touch hacking on the main board.

Where is the line? How does one deny ignorance if there is a line?

Or is there some other "more secret" place I am not privy to on the net where one is truly free to speak there mind anonymously and all the dirty secrets are laid bare?

Judge Learned Hand

"Right knows no boundaries and justice no frontiers"

Judge Hand affirmed that if a citizen “stops short of urging upon others that it is their duty or their interest to resist the law,” then he or she is protected by the First Amendment. One may, for example, “admire” resistors of the draft, but may not, under the “incitement” test, “counsel or advice” someone to violate the law at a specific time and place.

en.wikipedia.org...
Masses Publishing Co. v. Patten

Would you read an anonymous thread on avoiding arrest?
Would you post one?

How does one destroy the dubia tower?
How does one destroy the great gorges dam?
How does one kerplunk the west antartic ice sheet into the sea once and for all?

Or are we not allowed to talk about that here?
Or are we simply not allowed to say one "should" destroy and kerplunk?

Originally posted by .....?......
I think he was just using it as a metaphor, for things that might be off color, or that someone might want to be anonymous for posting.

Glad to see you spinning in the same direction. I am wondering what some off-color screen-name-free anonymous-posting on rATS-subject-matter by "bought in members" would sound like.

How do you jack a car? Skip the toll booth? Chop shop it... Sea container to Malaysia...

How can you have truly effective discussion of conspiracy without intimate (anonymous) discussion of crime?

Sri Oracle

"Without detail, I can be a treasure trove of dubious info.
I hesitate and resist the urge to share online not only because of our terms, but due to the fact that you will NEVER be 100% anonomous online. If you become a person of 'interest' online, rest assured your interests will be noted. On other sites I tread very near the line but I am mindful and choose what to say out loud. I would enjoy sharing ideas, but really, can you ever be sure of the person you are sharing with? RATS is by no means a safe haven to openly discuss things of this nature. As much as it bothers me, I actually see our terms as a means to protect us as well as the site. Besides, I would feel pretty bad if someone got locked up due to a conversation I may have joined."

How does one discuss how the state controls red phosphorus without discussing how one illegally obtains such and how and what one ultimately illegally manufactures with it?

How does one come to understand (deny ignorance as to) why something should or should not be illegal if they cannot discuss how it is produced and distributed and they cannot discuss what it feels like to need more; be it coc aine or the rush of another theft.

How does one come to understand (deny ignorance) as to why they may not want to take "a hit" if they cannot hear the pathos, ethos, and logos of a recovered junky and his personal experience?

How does one change their mind (come to understand) (deny ignorance) as to why some supposedly illegal substance should be legalized... if they cannot hear from those who have had positive-personal life-changing experiences with said substance?

It is all in what YOU call it...

Is it a clandestine manual for the manufacture of illicit drugs to be used by terrorist to undermine the nation?
Or is it a collection of human knowledge in organic chemistry?
Is it data that can be used to corner and capture illicit drug manufacturers?

www.synthetikal.org...

it is at its very core... data. nothing more. 1's and 0's

Someone Who Isn't Me wishes to stage a "smoke in" at our city park. What does swim need to be cautious of?
Someone Who Isn't Me wishes to cook some biological agents using locally available substances.

Does the precedence we set today conspire to develop or destroy this grand thing we call civilization? Should it be further developed, or should it be recast? How far from lawful may legal stray before the masses find that the righteous thing to do is behave illegally? Are they already behaving so in masse? Am I a criminal for asking? Or at least, so implying the possibility?

Why is it what I say to you must be tagged to me?

What is privacy?

What happened to the message in the bottle?

Why in the digital age have we let the very idea of such seem criminal and all but impossible?

Does it have to be that way?

Are we indeed all so worried about who said what?

I might be controversially and, almost, but definitely not, anonymously...

yours,

Someone Who Isn't Sri Oracle

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Sri Oracle]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join