It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who/what is this Anonymous poster? A bot to bump threads? Joined 5/5/08

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Based on the staff comment, it will not be a flaming tool.

What's wrong with a member using it. May be that person has something of interest but does not what it associated with his/her ID as tracking is a bit easier. Some member IDs can, over time, be linked to a real person based on their posts.

The IP, to track a person via an ISP, would have to be requested from the board either way.

Sounds like the staff is going to evaluate this feature and watch for abuse.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tons of anonymous postings in the last few pages.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The anon post is a good idea and makes sense.

Something I saw yesterday was a thread that appeared to have -1 posts, yet when i accessed the page there were actually about 8.

Probably a bug.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tons of anonymous postings in the last few pages.

Maybe it’s that way because when an anonymous poster post’s they are not really part of the discussion because they post is not actually posted until approved.

So on the thread your talking about there are lots of anonymous posts together, maybe this is because all the anonymous on that thread only got approved at the same time, so they all pop up at once, instead of like a real discussion?

Mikey

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yes Kosmicjack, I can see from those posts, how this could get out of hand . Especially the anonymous post
Calling the OP an idiot. Man, I hate to see that. (irrespective of the validity of the claim) I did find it vaguely amusing to see first amendment comments made by a totally anonymous poster. (although regular members enjoy some kind of anonynimity)

What a lot of work by the mods it must be to screen all these posts.

I will continue to refrain from putting anyone that posts here on ignore. That is what my brain is for.
I could see why it may become necessary for some.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
My feeling is that if the anonymous user get abused then only anonymous posts with meaningful material for the thread will eventual get through the moderation process. That would sound like censorship but then if that anonymous person would like more control of their posts appearing then that person can become a member and work with the T & C.

With several discussions here recently about whistle blowers, can I assume that this is means of implementing a posting method or those ideas? If so there is the drawback is that the general membership may never know some of the info that is posted but deemed unacceptable. Does that person trust the moderation or trust a registration with an email address. Tough call.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Roadgravel:

With several discussions here recently about whistle blowers, can I assume that this is means of implementing a posting method or those ideas?

After starting to understand what anon. posting is about, this also occurred to me. Can a
“whistle blower” also start a thread anonymously? And if so, how can we tell that the OP
Is the person responding to a query in that thread?

Roadgravel:

If so there is the drawback is that the general membership may never know some of the info that is posted but deemed unacceptable. Does that person trust the moderation or trust a registration with an email address. Tough call.

That is an interesting dilemma, I do trust the mods. And admin. To make the call of unacceptability, That’s all the filter/ignore that I would need. There have been some outlandish claims started by someone that logged (at least) 5 different accounts to try to post to a thread he/she started, that had been deemed a hoax by Admin. So it’s a tough proposition,
Any way you look at it.

I do see the advantage to having this feature (anonymous posting) but I wonder, how many times can an anonymous poster post before they are required to join?

edit for spelling...thanks spellcheck

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Personally I really don't like it. It makes sense on forums about the board or moderators, if people want to share opinions without fear of retribution, but on regular threads?

Yes the mods can ban abusive users based on ip (edit -- they probably can't in most cases which is why each post has to be reviewed), but seriously how many truly NEW and UNREGISTERED users are using it compared to registered users? If it really is being used primarily by new and unregistered users, and the mods are reviewing all posts anyway, why not have the unregistered user simply choose a nick for that post? It would allow their posts to be identifiable without them having to register (if registering seems like too much work) and it would preserve their "anonymity". Just don't put "member" underneath their name.

I think the Anon posts make the responses seem impersonal and less interesting, though I suppose the Ignore feature would fix the problem.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I read some of the posts and it seems like this is an easy way for people to be malicious to an OP or a member, and not have to stand by what they are saying. I have to stand behind everything I say on this site, and be held accountable for the statements I make. Therefore I chose my words wisely, and do not lash out on people here unless I am going to back up what I say. I think this gives people an opening to abuse the boards and the people that are on them.

I feel sorry for the op who got fired for her bumperstickers, not because she lost her job, but she had to put up with such bs from people who may or may not even be from ATS. I would of let them have it if I was her.

Anyways, I smell trouble.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by schism85

I feel sorry for the op who got fired for her bumperstickers, not because she lost her job, but she had to put up with such bs from people who may or may not even be from ATS. I would of let them have it if I was her.(

I know the post to which you are referring, and I had the same thought. Calling someone stupid or an idiot using your own name is bad enough, but to do it anonymously is just cowardly.

I am just not crazy about the Anonymous feature, as it seems like an easier way for people to be even more callous and cruel.

If you have something worthwhile to say, join ATS and say it like the rest of us!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
For me, one of the big values in posting on ATS is learning to post incisive comments, while still being courteous and polite.

Though some things can make one 'hot under the collar', so to speak, there's something to be said for cooling off and waiting until you can make a rational reply that contributes to the discussion.

You can still disagree and you can use some humor if you -must- post a mild rebuke, but isn't it better to teach yourself to post on topic and to have a little discipline?

It's not easy. It takes time. One method is to type the flaming reply in WordPad, but then not send it to the board. The next day if you still feel the same, then you can tone it down and post it anyway and take your chances. Odds are, you'll think better of it and just go on with trying to make intelligent contributions to the thread.

If you start posting anonymously and flaming, what does it really teach you? You're not moving forward with your personal evolution and you're not taking advantage of the unique atmosphere here on ATS to build character.

Just a thought.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Badge01]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Badge01;

For me, one of the big values in posting on ATS is learning to post incisive comments, while still being courteous and polite.
etc…

You are absolutely correct.
Learning to post with eloquence and sedulous forethought, while holding accountability for your comments, is a hallmark of how I thought ATS denies ignorance!

It is what I thought, separated this forum from all the other low rent forums. My rent is paid by holding all that I type here on record (as long as it’s held in the database), forever accountable.

If there is more rent due, let me know, I will pay up, or be evicted. Could be, I was wrong. Now I am seeing one line posts, mean spirited posts, even name calling. That’s just in the last few hours.

Joining ATS has helped me learn to put my thoughts into words. Hopefully, my written communications are improving.(slightly…grammar and spelling..well.. you know).

Now as I understand it, this is just an experiment. According to SO, Posting anonymously
Was at one time allowed then discontinued. I am now wondering why it was discontinued
then.

I know this is new and many bugs seem to need tweaking, but these anonymous folks are missing a lot of what I think learning to be an ATS’er is about.

I will have to give this experiment more time. But from where I sit..(hiding behind Zeptepi), and a few ATS points, that can be revoked. I say, tell ‘em to put up… or shut-up.

My unsolicited plug nickels worth.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Well put. I would star your post if I could.

The mean-spiritedness and name calling, especially, are uncalled for.

Don't hide behind anonymity. Show yourself!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The anonymous posts are showing as the last post listed on the forum board but, occasionally, not in the thread until someone posts after them. It's confusing.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I suspect that it indicates that the last post was deleted. I have seen other threads with the date/time mismatch. I always figured it was due to deletion. Guess the staff would know for sure.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mustangshelby

Thanks for the star (poof) your post as well,

I sure as hell aint winnin' any points with this thread.

I truly do hope it gets better.

Cause right now it's a bummer, dude.

shoulda posted this anonymously

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We've refined the message given to those who use the anonymous rely feature, and have made it clear that we'll only approve replies that provide a substantive contribution to the discussion... as well as very-strict compliance with terms & conditions.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They fixed it! This didn't work yesterday, nor for the past week or so since the Anonymous Reply started back up at ATS. Previously, I was getting "error" and then a link to "Board Home" on a white page. I'm glad you fixed it, thanks!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This feature is so people can get drunk and run around the forum with their underpants on their head without getting their membership cancelled.

This is actually really useful as recently,due to some horrendous work commitments,logging in is an encouragement to hang out and use up too many man hours..

It's all Crakeur's fault.. He said I had way too much time on my hands..

I'll get you for jinxing me..

Agent_T..

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
LOL! That's jacked up right there! Anonymous posters should not have the privilige of commenting on board issues.
Put up or shut up.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join