It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Evil Eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I've been fascinated by the concept of the "Evil Eye" - as ancient as any of the folklore-ish tendancies people still have.

But does anyone know what it was actually meant to do? I assume some kind of curse, bad luck, gypsy superstition/sheemy curse type thing, but I never read anything specific.

Anyone got any info about it?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Oddly enough, I watched a show the other day (Shadow Hunter-Canadian show) and it was based on 'The Eye'

Many cultures revere the 'eye' symbol, and use it to ward off danger and curses rather than incite them.

I am thinking it was India (could be way off as I wasn't really paying too much attention) that the show focused on and there beliefs.

A large amount of ornamental jewelry is made to resemble the eye in some aspect, and used in these beliefs.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think you are referring to the hamsa - a flat palm with a blue eye in the centre.

It somehow wards off the curse of the evil eye. Not that anyone can quantify what the curse does, how bad it is etc...!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
In my family it's common to wear a black thread around your wrist / ankle to ward off / keep away the evil eye...We're Sikh. My parents are Sikh Punjabi's from Northern India (Punjab) so I don't know if that's a cultural thing or religious thing...There's not a big population of Sikh's compared to Hindu's in India but that's what my family's been doing for years...I think in the Hindu culture whenever a baby is born or if someone is very successful they always make a mark in a hidden place on the body usually with a black pen, eyeliner to ward off evil to...hope that helps

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Interesting post, I know of the black thread too, Similar to Kabbalistic Red Thread, and some beliefs are to knot it 7times for protection, the Hamsa is not dissimilar to the Turkish evil eye, and the Egyptian Horus all seeing eye, All are said to reflect any hidden malicious intent, protect the wearer from curses/jealousies/harm/spells and also to make the wearer invisable to evil, Then you have Mandalas and Beads in Buddhism and Hinduism with similar intent, I guess every belief needs some object to focus protection intent on, look at all the crystals used these days.
Although they all have other meanings. Egyptian eye of Horus is a tattoo I once had over 7years ago (when I was too young to have one, haha) scientists have said there is a part of the brain in seven parts when put together form egyptian eye of horus, and that that specific part of the brain is where intuition/psychic abilities/chakra lies.
But then ive heard a nasty idea of what it represents too the inside of the rectum in a male biology wise, not a nice story either, a guy who writes conspiracy articles came accross some works on it and told me, but then you also have conspiracy theories who have it used in a million theories. I guess every all seeing eye has meaning to different people but all same purpose really. My take on it anyway.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wow, where to begin.
Evil eye is a Jewish concept (edit to add, it appears to be found in other religious circles as well) - but in reality, once you get past the religious coverings it has its roots in good ol science.

I have blogged about how to get rid of the Evil Eye

First thing you have to do is realize words are pointers and dont get trapped in their external meanings. (That is how religion, although the truth is there, gets turned into dogma)

Peace

dAlen

- p.s.
Just saw the Anon post.
this is a great example why we wish Anons would register, so we could carry on a conversation. Otherwise we dont know if or when the Anon has come back, so conversation is really hard to have.

But thanks Anon for your contribution.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by dAlen]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Where i come from (eastern europe), the evil eye stands from a type of spell someone can put on you by staring intensly (even if they dont mean to). I m not sure, but this belief might be a turkish or gypsy influence. You can avoid the curse by wearing something red, like a ribbon. Especially babies and baby animals are victims of the evil eye, and depending on how powerful the curse is and how weak the victim, it can even kill. The symptoms are powerful headaches, weakness, frequent yawning, and nausea. There are also counter-spells, recited by (who else?) old women. Of course these are old-wives-tales, and nobody believes in them anymore. However, my own theory is that it might have something to do with energy vampires, people who (even unwillingly) suck energy out of other people. It did happen to me quite a few times to notice somebody staring at me, for instance in the subway, and one hour later i was, out of the blue, i was suffering with horrible headaches. I know its silly and although i dont consider myself superstitious, if think there might be something to this after all. And im even sure there is a scientifical explanation. Meanwhile, i carry around on my key-chain a turkish amulet, the blue and white eye. Just in case!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I see where you are coming from - better carry a useless charm than not carry a vital protective device!

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I swear I'm going to travel the world getting evil eye charms - come on, there must be people from other cultures who have references to it!

new topics

top topics

join