It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the Taliban?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
They always seemed bigger and tougher than al Qaeda. But I never hear anything about them anymore it seems? Am I just not paying attention (very possible)? Cause from this seat, it seems that al Qaeda has moved from shotgun to the driver seat, and left the Taliban standing on the median.

I couldn't figure out what forum to post this in. Questions seemed possible? I know, I'm a dork. Cheers.
-v

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
As far as I know, the Taliban are only centric to Afghanistan - their regime was broken up in 2001, but as you would know, Afghanistan is pretty much a failed state.

Al-Qaeda was formed in 1988, among other Islamic groups funded and supported by America to fight the former Soviet Union, and now it is more or less an international sort of cohort.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
didn't the Taliban execute terrorist acts in the period from 2001-present? I'm gett ing this flash memory of jamie fox doing a bit on the taliban and airplanes etc. and that got me thinking, 'shouldnt he be saying al qaeda, not taliban?" then i realized that there are probably a majority of americans who do not differentiate the two! frighteningly likely!!!

we just need a yellow eye now and we'll have a STOP L-EYE-T!!! Im seeking the '08 dork nomination for president tonight...

[edit on 5/14/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
the taliban are a political party who were in power....they're proper hardline ultra-orthadox muslims who believe that countries should use 'shia' (not sure on spelling-or even word) law, which is taken from the koran (i think).....

this makes them popular with extremist muslim fighters (like the toilet)...they have the same common enemy, us infidels......

[edit on 15-5-2008 by adamclement]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The fighters of the Taliban regime are still causing enough greif to the troops stationed at Tarin Kowt.

I know that in the the last 3 months, we've lost two Aussies to 'jihadists'.

So, yes they are still around, and still trying to be a problem. A problem which as of next month I'm off to fight.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
More like Telly-Ban

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The taliban are fighting a guerilla war and this does not make for good TV, because there's no pictures of huge battles, air strikes and explosions.

All you hear is the odd snippet of a land mine injuring some troops, or an ambush etc

Guerilla wars don't make for good TV and that's why we're hearing less about it, but the troops are still there, still fighting, and still getting killed, and still no sign of the phantom osama.

[edit on 15/5/2008 by budski]

new topics

top topics

join