It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous rape tests are going nationwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Anonymous rape tests are going nationwide

news.yahoo.com

Starting next year across the country, rape victims too afraid or too ashamed to go to police can undergo an emergency-room forensic rape exam, and the evidence gathered will be kept on file in a sealed envelope in case they decide to press charges.

ADVERTISEMENT

The new federal requirement that states pay for "Jane Doe rape kits" is aimed at removing one of the biggest obstacles to prosecuting rape cases: Some women are so traumatized they don't come forward until it is too late to collect hair, semen or other samples.

"Sometimes the issue of actually having to make a report to police can be a barrier to victims, and this will allow that barrier to cease, to allow the victim to think about it before deciding whether to talk to police,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I find that this may actually change the statistics for rape convictions, and is a HUGE step forward for victims of these types of crimes....Any thoughts?
Does this present any future legal problems? Can evidence be considered "tainted"?
news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Lets become monkeys and protect the vagina a little more people because we all know that vagina > penis. Jesus god wtf is wrong with people these days. Penis is evil and vagina is good, I just dont friggen get it.

Its an attack on the male in general. Its as if we are reverting back to the days when we were monkeys in herds protecting the vagina.

You are full of it this isnt a huge step forward, Ive never raped a girl in my life and been accused of it twice due to regretful sex. This only opens the door more for that. I can remember an instance when a girl was going to get in trouble because I was in her house and she got caught.

Jesus wataf? Someone presses rape charges on me because shes going to get in trouble with her grandmother? The truth is rape charges need to be HARDER to press not easier. If you make it easy every girl is going to press them to call themselves a virgin again.

And believe me you are GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT PERIOD. When it comes to rape.

Not to mention girls who lie need to be PUT IN JAIL. You screw up peoples lives because you are CHILDREN who have a mental disorder. Point blank no simpler then that, Id argue that a large percentile is BS based. Ive been the victim of vagina > penis games and its a bunch of BS.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well, as a woman, I think this is a great idea. Because you only have a short opportunity to collect that evidence.

"The idea is to collect the evidence now, while it's still there," said Scott Berkowitz, president of the national Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

What makes a Jane Doe rape kit different is that it is sealed with only a number on the outside of the envelope to identify the victim. Police do not open the envelope unless the victim decides to press charges.

I just hope the numbering system will work. I can just see all kinds of problems arising from this. What if the victim forgets her number???? Then how will her evidence be matched to HER?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Let me continue, I hate guys that hit it and quit it believe me it caused a number of issues in my marrige. Its caused a ton of issues in my relationships. However, whats going to happen is every teen girl that gets used for sex and broken up with will come back and say oh btw I was raped!

This is BS for real, its like if I change my mind about the sex Ill just press rape charges. Vagina really isnt worth that much people. I dont see how one type of genitallia trumps another type. Thats what we are teaching our children today or is the male just generally under attack period?

Is it bad to be a man? Is that what its coming to? Im all for REAL rape being prosecuted, but making it ok to prosecute regretful sex? Come the hell on.

I stopped counting at 49 girls when I was 17 years old and EVERY SINGLE ONE said they were raped their first time. Do you honestly believe every dang girl is raped? This is a psychological condition to get your virginity back period.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
However, whats going to happen is every teen girl that gets used for sex and broken up with will come back and say oh btw I was raped!

Well... uhm... maybe it would be a good idea if guys just stayed the *snip* away from teenage girls?

I fail to see how you can make that kind of assertion, considering the fact that most women who are used for sex are lied to/otherwise decieved.

It doesn't matter whether or not she says yes - if you spent the entire night filling her head full of bull-honkey then to me that's very close to a sociopathic mentality.

The only difference between that and Rape is that you haven't threatened to kill her.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
And don't act as if i'm denying that it doesn't work both ways.

Women can be just as much predators as men can.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The real danger here is how many more women who get drunk or just find themselves to have made a mistake after the deed is done, will go to a hospital and do the rape kit not thinking about the consequences of that action they have put in motion, since the law will boldly pursue that person no matter if she changes her mind later.

Even worse she can have it taken and then get pissed at a later time. Can you imagine a couple having a fight one evening and then the woman dong the kit and then one day having a big blowout and deciding to get him back for the next ten years. Absolutely insane.

One thing that's aways been valued since this country was created is to be able to confront your accusers - now we're one step closer to secret trials behind closed doors with the accusers remaining anonymous. Kind of like what they do at GITMO. Oh, but its for the women this time to protect them from the terrorist men.

I think its just another way to create more clients for courts, cops, prisons & jails. We already have the biggest per capita prison population on planet earth. Like they haven't created enough criminals already with the sadistic circus side show left over Nazi freaks running the jails & prisons.

Less accountability is not what we need in our courts.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
A good option, but I don't see it helping much. Is a woman who is

so traumatized they don't come forward until it is too late to collect hair, semen or other samples
by going to the police, just going to go to the ER instead? I highly doubt it... her 'state of mind' is no different in either case.

[tangent deleted]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Scary thought that someone you have consensual sex with could go get it put on ice later and lay claims even further down the line - without some common sense provisions it appears this could easily lead to some blackmail type situations.

How long can they keep the semen? Do they have to press claim within a certain time or it gets discarded? Is the DNA added to a database?

Other than that, I totally support laws that help prosecute violent sex offenders, but i believe there needs to be a well thought out balanced approach about it so people are treated decently and no innocents caught in the cross fire so to speak - like perhaps making counselling services and police more friendly, better trained to handle these sort of situations and accountable.

[edit on 2008-5-14 by primamateria]

[edit on 2008-5-14 by primamateria]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Very true.
How are the doctors at an ER room going to be any more comforting or persuasive to allow this women to be examined and tested?

I seriously doubt any woman who finds such an experience so traumatizing she doesn't even bring up until months later, is really going to just check herself into a clinic, and feel comfortable with all this attention and invasion of privacy.

And this of course opens up the flood gates to abuse of this system.
What's to stop a women coming in, pretending she was raped by a former partner she particularly loathes, getting the test taken and then this evidence being used to incriminate a man who didn't do anything wrong?

People are quick to paint men as animals but women can be just as cunning and malicious too.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Does this mean that if a woman is out to get you she can sleep with you, use the kit and then whenever she seeks revenge go "he raped me"? just wondering. rape is terrible but so are the lying woman who seek vengeance (scorned)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jboogienoj

Even though I COMPLETELY Disagree with the thought that all woman are like that, I will agree with you that I wonder what the extent of the law is. I mean, if there is only semen and the such, how can you prove it was rape? How about bruises and the like?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
reply to post by jboogienoj

Even though I COMPLETELY Disagree with the thought that all woman are like that, I will agree with you that I wonder what the extent of the law is. I mean, if there is only semen and the such, how can you prove it was rape? How about bruises and the like?

After thinking about this further and reading some of the responses....

Again, speaking from a woman's perspective. I actually do believe that many women "cry rape" when in fact their encounter was very consensual or was a result of intoxication (of drugs or alcohol).....and many want to get revenge, etc.

So, I can understand some of the comments here, as I agree with them.

But I also know that rape is very real and many are afraid to come forward.

How does one know if someone is raped....or if it was REALLY consensual or just rough sex? I don't think that is possible.

Now, as I think about it more. I don't see how this will work. Like I said earlier, how on earth will they match up the evidence with a victim who probably forgot "her number".

This leaves the door open for MANY mistakes and false accusations.

*shrug*

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

yeah, the more I read horror stories of both rape and false accusations, the more I wonder if a CC camera belongs in my bedroom? I could just send the recordings to a locked box that only gets opened when the cops come a ringing? You know?

I think of violent sexual crimes as the most heinous, and therefore the most likely to be abused. It really makes the ducks row up if you say this....and I think that there are some woman out there who have ruined the chance real woman have. THis is why I posted this article. I wonder what a bag of genetic evidence does to support rape prosecutions, instead of just making it harder on men to prove your innocence.

new topics

top topics

join