It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Whooah relax man, smoke some more or something.

Cannabis is tolerated in low quantities it is NOT legal. There is a big difference. No you won't get a ticket for 5g I never said you would, all I said was you could but it's not enforced due to the low priority on 'soft' drugs.

In the Netherlands we have a really weird situation. Weed is tolerated, that means: it's technically speaking still illegal, but the police simply "looks the other way" and won't arrest you for smoking or possession etc. Also we have so called coffeeshops, most of them don't sell any coffee though. They sell weed and hash. They are allowed to sell up 5 grams to anyone over 18. But, and here comes the weird part, they are NOT allowed to buy weed from growers or dealers.They have to sneak the weed in through the back door, and then they can sell it openly through the front door.

Source

How many more source do you need too see? They did legalise 'Medical Cannabis' recently. But they're getting tougher on the 'coffee shops'...

By 2009, 27 coffee shops selling cannabis in Rotterdam, all within 200 meters from schools, must close down. This is nearly half of the coffeeshops that currently operate within its municipality. This is due to a new policy of city mayor Ivo Opstelten and the town council. The higher levels of the active ingredient in marijuana in Netherlands create a growing opposition against the traditional Dutch view of cannabis as a relatively innocent soft drug. Closing of coffee shops is not unique for Rotterdam. Many other towns have done the same in the last 10 years.

Source

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Whooah relax man, smoke some more or something.

How very mature.

I stick out my neck, I share some pretty personal information to add to the thread, and sure, within a few posts it is held against me and I'm being ridiculed

Says more about you than me.

And yes very technically speaking you can say it is illegal, but in reality no one ever gets arrested or fined for possession for own use. No one gets arrested or fined for smoking weed in public, no policeman will make an issue of it.

In this situation you can consider it to be legal. I mean the government allows the sale of cannabis and even makes tax money on it.
How can a government tax something that is illegal? That alone proves it is actually legal.

How could it be illegal to have, and smoke weed, if you have bought it from a government approved and taxed dealer?

It is just that the written law is obsolete and neglected, and it doesn't apply to the situation as it realisticaly is, and everybody seems fine with it.

So, you just keep looking at Wikipedia, and I'll go with the reality I see for myself everyday.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Canadian researchers: 'Make pot legal'

CAMROSE, Alberta, May 15 (UPI) -- Canadian researchers say there are no "typical" pot smokers and many moderate users of marijuana are "responsible" so the drug should be legalized.

Link to article

Canadians obviously don't feel the same as the White House does. Besides, I think the White House has a few bigger things to worry about.
And since hen does marijuana cause schizophrenia, anxiety, and whatever else they claim? Another BS statement coming out of the President's perch.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Cannabis doesn't lead to harder drugs, it leads to tie-dye!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I am all for the legalization of pot. Even though pot may arguably be less harmful than legal drugs like alcohol and prescription medications, it does not mean pot is completely benign. Pot odes have negative side effects and can be particularly harmful for certain types of people.

Marijuanna, like alcohol, is a depressant. When depressed people take depressants, they make their depression worse, even though they get a temporary high. We would all agree that depressed people should not get drunk every day. Similarly, depressed people should not be getting stoned every day , either.

mmmmm how do you classify MJ as a depressant? I think it stands alone.
It makes you relaxed and alert at the same time.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Nope. Taxing something does not make it legal.

It's always best to be as specific as possible when discussing cannabis, wherever the discussion is taking place, because the discussion is mired in lies and misinformation, spread, sometimes unawares, by the opponents of the legalisation campaign. Such rubbish as it's a gateway drug, that it's dangerous, that it's a narcotic, etc. If we can clear up all these misconceptions, we can actually debate the issue at hand, and not the façade the very-effective misinformation campaigns have been propping up for decades.

Deny ignorance, as they say

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

You are talking about taxation of illegal income, the money that's is made in the coffee shops in Holland is legal income, because they are allowed to sell cannabis. That's a different situation. But let's drop it, were side-tracking here.

I agree with the rest you said, but I do think that cannabis can do harm in some cases and that we should recognize the negative aspects of it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If marijuana leads to 'harder' drugs, this may explain the baby-boomer obsession with prescription pills and such. Though I was a little shaken with some of the earlier posts regarding hydroponic marijuana and the chemicals in the water, but chemicals in water is a completely seperate issue.

I was lead to believe that what makes weed 'bad' for you is the burning of it, thus creating a carcinegen. This can also be said for burgers on the BBQ, or beef at your favorite steak house. Carcinegens are bad not weed.

But, since information on marijuana is very difficult to substantiate, we must look to the past. My belief is that if it can be used safely by those who treated the earth as it should be treated (Native Americans) than it can be used properly by us. What we need is to decriminalize it as to regulate its production.

Conversely, I was told once by a man: "Anything that artificially makes you feel 'good' is a drug my friend."

Maybe ATS is a drug than?

-Cuauhtemoc

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

you are right for the most part, except the fact that if the government were to legalize marijuana that everyone else with other drug choices would want it thats true also but the government have a better reason to not legalize coke or heroine or somethign because they arent herbs they are chemicals and are man made, they are also harmful.
marijuana is not at all harmful.
nobody in the history of the world has ever died from it well unless it was laced...but if its legalized then we wouldnt have to worry about it being laced, cause then it would be in stores.
cause remember weed is a herb not chemically made just cause coc aine came from the cocoa tree doesnt mean its harmless cause its got chemicals added to it, and same with opium.
Listen to Bob Marley, he makes an excellent point.
just go to youtube and search legalize weed if you havent already seen it.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
ahaha, i have a funny story, i was caught at school smoking, off school grounds, but they have security guards patrolling around to make sure no one is skipping, anyways one of the security guards came up, called the cops....he came, he said he would let me go with no ticket/ arrest, pretty much just let me off the hook, IF i ...and i quote exactly "let me and my buddy here have a few smokes off that, we really dont need to be wasting our time out here busting one kid smoking less than 1g, so if you do that, the only thing ill do is make you go back to school, and i dont want to see you out here ever again"...ahahahah

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nexusmagazine

i have a brother that is 35 and has smoked pot for 7 years now has never had a problem till now all of a sudden he has been hearing voices when he is asleep through the tv radio and phone and is now seeking treatment i on the other hand am 25 and smoked for 12 years and grown for 5 i have some of the most potent stuff going around and yes i am from australia. but as it is yet still to be proven what exactly causes these people (not just young people) to have the affects they do. the way weed has been grown hasnt really changed over the last 20 years its just more people know what chemicals to use and they are more accessable know.that is not to say that i condone any minor smoking weed letalone cigarettes

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I attempted to make a thread that asks the members to
debate the issue of alcohol verses cannabis, and it
got moved to a section where you need 5000 points to
visit it.

I`ve been here a while and I still don`t have 5000 points.

so
a) the general public is not allowed to see it..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
and 95% of ats er`s can`t see it either...
in fact ...."I" cannot even see it or take part in it

I was told that all cannabis related threads go there....

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[edit on 22-6-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

once again my friend, your wisdom exceeds you... kudos
the government have for too long picked on cannabis use.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is outrageous!! I smoke as much pot as the next guy who reads too much ATS, but even I know this is true. Anti-pot propaganda or not, everyone should be able to get behind the general message that teenagers shouldn't be using drugs to escape their lives. The experience had on your psyche from any narcotic is directly reflected by the intent of ingestion.

While it's certainly the government's fault for spreading such heinous myths about the holy herb, we ought to be smart enough to understand that the way to beat the attitude is not to get as ridiculous as the government in our claims to the contrary. That overzealousness turns people off and suddenly smoking is something that's as empty as drinking. And that, my friends, is a true tragedy.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
well I must agree that these things are for ADULTS ONLY.

common sense easily dictates this.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Why aren't we getting to the center of this problem? We're talking all around it, but we're not diving into the heart. I'll give it a stab.

Our species has been wildly successful for the past several thousand years. When I say "wild", I mean it. We're a mad animal. We love, we hate, we make love, we kill. We're greedy and avaricious, and we're tender and gentle. We're all of those things. That's the breaks.

Somehow, an insidious and myopic view of mental health has pervaded science, academia, and society. After thousands of years, it has now been decided that there is a cognitive "norm" from which we should not want to deviate. That norm happens to be conspicuously close to what ever it takes to turn humans into self-hating consumers of all things commercial. If your brain is arranged differently, and you simply don't buy into the idea that good people are people who need to display status, then this world can be a very depressing place. Marijuana is particularly good at smoothing out issues of self-worth, temporarily. This, apparently, is not a good thing. After all, are your teeth as white as they should be? Are you wearing last Summer's fashions? Do you drive a loser's car? In short - are you worth the air you breathe? Well, you'd better shape up, mister. We have an ever-narrowing wedge of acceptable social behavior, and your mental weakness makes you a detriment to the beautiful order of things. Good people make lots of money and can be satisfied by setting and achieving such lofty goals as:

1) buying a new car
2) buying a new LCD or plasma tv
3) going out to dinner more often
4) finding out which powerful prescription drug is right for you, and then taking large quantities of it to get "level"
5) going deep sea fishing
6) playing golf

Even this isn't the center of it. The center, from me to you, comes in the form of a question:

Do you own yourself, or does someone else?

[edit on 22-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Weed is not addictive. It is not a depressive drug.

The only reason it is not leagal is because the Government can not control it because it is so easy to grow!!!

Hydroponics is not the reason. The majority of weed is grown in the mountains of Northern Cali or Mexico. Trust me, Hydroponics is usually grown for personal use only.

By the way, have you ever heard of anyone killed by a driver high on Marijuana??

You know why..............

Because he was driving 40 in a 65.........

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by applebiter

I agree
we need to use our own minds....not "THEIRS"

I took the blue pill 2 years ago and.....wow...what an EYE OPENER....

common sense

I said in another post that there should be a new political party called
the C.H.C.S party...

the Caring Honest Common Sense Party

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join