It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
I acknowledge however, that it is because of the people i knew that lead to other drugs - and now i recognise the sickening pleasure that *snip* took when he got me to accept a cigarette from him.

Well there you go. Peer pressure, not cannabis use.

There are many reasons MJ smokers might try harder drugs, but again there is NO evidence it's the MJ that did that. Maybe if you think about it again you'll see other patterns that led you to harder drug use.

Don't blame the puff man! It's YOU that chose to take drugs, take responsibility for YOUR choices. No one made you do it, especially MJ.

Again please read that link it might open your eyes a little...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
People abuse people, should we ban people? Everything has a potential for abuse.

People that abuse people are thrown in jail, people that abuse any kind of substance need help.

But what would you consider MJ abuse anyway? You can't overdose on it, and using more doesn't change it's effects. You can't take too much MJ. All it does is hurt your wallet.

If you become dependant on MJ it does more than hurt your wallet, it impacts your life negatively in many ways, your family, those around you, it impacts everything.

What chaos? There is no chaos and there is no problem with MJ use. That's just government and media hype, it's not reality

Chaos in the legal system and in society about how to deal with this issue. Like I said earlier I I'm favor of legalizng but I don't think that my reasons are the same as yours.

Dependency? Again what does that hurt? Who steels for MJ? Millions of people are dependent on prescription drugs, what's the difference? I am prescribed vicadins (opiate) for my back, as many as I want, and they are one of the most addictive and potentially harmful drugs out there. I'd rather use MJ.

You just proved my point

Can't you see the hypocrisy of it all? MJ is not illegal because it's dangerous, if it was then why don't they ban far more dangerous drugs such as alcohol and cigarettes?

If you read my OP that is the sole purpose of me posting this article here in the first place, it is indeed a big hypocrisi brought to us by the proverbial Golden Rule..." those who have the gold rule. "

I also have a LOT of experience and I've seen no one destroyed by MJ use, that's just silly. But I see everyday people effected by alcohol in very bad ways. Again do you see the contradictions and hypocrisy here?

I have seen people lives turn upside down by both, no doubt about it.

As a sidenote, we have really gone of track of what the topic of this thread was originally presented. This is why thread on this topic don't last long here on this site.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Bunch]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Care to guess what they are?

Good Job??

Well I don't agree with this post.. weed has alot of good to it, even more than just smoking. But being depressed from some people is a good thing. How do you think we get some of the most kick ass music we have today..

The doors, Smashing pumpkins, Type O, and so on. They just didn't think this crap up.. it came from somewhere.

Besides Depression makes people more artistic, I think everyone should try depression at least once in their lives.

Anyway that's all I got for this..

And hey ANOK Whats up.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I use marijauna on a regular basis and I've never felt that way i think its just the government using a few people who have experience that as examples and making it seem like everyone who smoked marijuana feels that way and its not true usually i get geared up to go do stuff i laugh, eat, sleep, play playstation i don't ever feel suicidal, depressed, or anything like that but thats the same thing with if i took 500mg of something and said it worked great for me and offered the same amount to someone else and it may not work for that person the same way it did for me.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Having read through your source, focusing particularly on the "social gateway" aspect, i'll refer you to my earlier post on the legalisation of cannabis for people of ages of over 18.

I'd love for cannabis to be legalised, it'd make most of the dealers - the connected suppliers *snip* themselves because they'd lose their 'soft market', and would also ensure that any kids found smoking the stuff would receive similar penalties to when kids are found drinking (a phone call to the parents, for example).

A perspective that your link doesn't seem to mention.

My problem is that the people who oppose the legalisation of Cannabis so vehemently have a point, however uneducated or ignorant that point may be.

Supply meets demand, Increased Supply Ensures an Increase in Demand.

The actual criminal organisation behind drug abuse is profit driven, and because of it they are prepared to use softer drugs in order to get people onto more expensive, harder drugs.

I have nothing wrong with a grower distributing his produce to a few close friends, but every single ethical fibre in my brain has a problem with a criminal organisation pumping this stuff into our society in a remarkably similar way to the tobacco and alcohol industries, only illegal.

[edited to comply with T&C]

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
oh yeah and to mention i usually read alot when i'm high because things are more interesting to me when i'm high i can concentrate alot better under the influence of marijuana which is why i've researched so much and came across this site.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think if this thread is to survive (in this forum) some people need to stop discussing personal use (thats a violation of the T&C) and maybe even edit their posts where they discussed it.

This is an important topic that gets removed as soon as people start talking about personal use.

I'm not tryingt to be a mod I just don't want to see this thread POOF!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Sorry but I have been around MJ too much to believe what you're saying.

MJ is not addictive enough to ruin families and lives.

If it does then its a problem with the person not the MJ use. It's easy to blame a drug someone is taking if they have problems when it may not have been the drug at all.

The law has a habit of that. If you commit a crime and you have MJ, or any drug, in your system then they often claim it was the drug influence. When in reality there is no evidence for that at all.
Do my vicodins lead me to harder drugs, or cause dysfunction in my family. I'll tell you they very well could if I abused them, unlike MJ.

MJ does nothing but improve the lives of most of the people that use it. Quit blaming the plant for peoples dysfunctional lives.

I could introduce you to a hell of a lot of people who are still here today because they use MJ. The good effects of the plant far out way the bad, which cannot be said for many legal drugs.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
[edited to comply with T&C]

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Agree 100%, like I said earlier this is an issue that needs to be talk about but in the scope of the issue that was presented.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

OK you are just basically repeating the same myth in another way.

It's still a myth. There is NO evidence MJ leads to harder drugs. NONE.

So where do you get the idea from? The media and it's uninformed garbage.

It is logic that most people would use MJ first because it is so common and easy to get. It doesn't mean because they try harder drugs later that it was cannabis that led them to it. It's an illogical myth.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think it is so entertaining that the people on this thread that are heavily opposed to Marijuana use make it obvious they have no idea what they are talking about and have no intention to get educated. Anyone who has gone through rehab will tell you, its not the drugs, its the people. And I'm sorry for bursting bubbles here, but there are millions of marijuana users who go through life never having drugs interfere with their happiness. You are simply ignorant if you believe there is no such thing as responsible use.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well, i edited my posts.

I want this discussion to continue, even at risk of losing credibility.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

*ahem*

I get my information from individuals i know of who have shared their experiences with drug abuse with me in conversational manner.

Word of mouth, essentially.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
First of all there is no evidence to suggest marijuana causes depression.

To the contrary marijuana actually helps people with bi-polar disorder by leveling out their mood so to speak and this has been proven by countless scientific studies as seen here.

www.alternet.org...

Alcohol on the other hand is clearly a depressant which is legal and is far worse then marijuana when we are talking about depression.

This article is nothing but government propaganda.

[edit on 5-14-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Well, i might as well attempt to contest your point anyway.

You say that there is no evidence that MJ leads to harder drugs, and in an absolute sense i agree with you - However, when an individual becomes a habitual abuser of the drug, and that supply is cut off, the attempt at resistance towards trying something a little different is that much more stressful in this type of situation.

It's not out of any chemical process that MJ leads to harder drugs, but a psychological one - and no, i'm not saying that MJ directly affects a person's mind into wanting to keep on smoking.

It's a habitual smoker's problem, and it is the habitual user who is at most risk if they use a supplier who also peddles in drugs other than MJ.

There is no way i cannot agree with you, but you've got me on a technicality.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I encourage anyone interested in the subject of MJ to go out and rent the movie grass. It is a documentary all about the legal history of MJ and gives a very accurate and realistic account.

Interesting fact is nixon hired a group of doctors and scientests to do tests on the drug and then write a report with their decision. When the report was finished nixon became angry and threw the report in the garbage because the report came to the conclusion that MJ was harmless and what the drug culture had to say about it was right all along. Needles to say nixon did not take the advice of the study group and then the rest is all history.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MJ and anyone who is uppity about it has other reasons for it whether it be "morals", politics or family life. It is not a gateway drug, Tobacco and alcohol are infact the gateway drugs.

And in my opinion depression in this country is caused by the society that we live in. No one is ever good enough in their own minds. This is due to the B.S. image that media shoves down everyones throats about what the "normal" life is and how men and women should look. Most of these "depressed" people are so because they dont look like an athlete or a model and they aren't living the sit com life. People can deny what I am saying all they want but think about it. If you got dumped in a relationship what is one of the first things you think? could it be how am I going to get another bf/gf when I look the way I do.

The only way MJ causes depression is when your locked up in prison or a family member is locked up in prison for using or selling it.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
By the way, no one asked me to modify my posts.

I just felt like being a good citizen.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
THC is a depressant, so it's not exactly rocket science that THC exacerbates depression.

Both THC and alcohol serve to lower inhibitions at the onset of intoxication, which gives people the impression that they feel better, but beyond a point those symptoms subside and the depressant properties overwhelm the feelings of euphoria.

These facts have been known for a long time. What has been missing has been a longitudinal study of these effects and what the effects are on a developing brain.

Marijuana use has been common long enough now that these data are beginning to be published.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I highly doubt that most teenagers using marijuana are using it for depression, as the White House has suggested some might be doing. I would argue that most are probably using pot mainly as entertainment purposes.

I don't see the point in the White House issuing statements directed at a meager hand-full of teenagers that are using marijuana as they've suggested. How about figuring out an exit plan for Iraq ... instead of worrying about our younger generations civil liberties.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join