It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So cannabis is a bigger cause of anxiety to a user than what comes in their mailbox everyday (bills) or this economy for that matter?

Loosing ones job and ending up homeless causes less schitzoids than cannabis?

Stoned people watching adult swim are more likely to kill themselves.

Wow the government is really grasping at straws.

Um if they want to improve the public health then they should be focusing on things like how ones credit score will cause all of these things above. Don't know of any medical record that attributes THC to being the cause of anybody's death. wonder how many people have killed themselves because their government forsook them.

Also, I give this thread about 12 more hours before it gets pulled from ATS> Cannabis related conspiracies usually never get the correct attention they deserve from ATS, although I totally understand how the owners are trying to keep the posters from discussing anything illegal.

hasn't the human race been using cannabis as a antidepressant for several thousands of years now with no harm done to anybody. maybe the people get depressed while using THC because of the stigma the west gives people for using such a benign substance.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think the reason for this current anti pot campaign is that MJ opens up critical modes of thinking that the PTB find unacceptable.

Believe the MSM propaganda....

Be good little consumers....

Don't question authority and pay your taxes!

I don't smoke anything anymore and I prefer alcohol to relieve stress but I have two words for the PTB....

Care to guess what they are?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubyeyes
Mj leads to use of stronger drugs. It did for my aunt and uncle, and so my grandma had to raise their son. I´m sick of this pro MJ stuff.

Again, this is the fault of the people, not necessarily the drug, although the drug is playing a part in this scenerio.

I'm not pro MJ, I'm pro happiness and feel good, but that doesn't mean pro lack of responsibility or laziness either. I run 5 miles at least 2 times a week and go to the gym at least 4 times a week, sometimes twice a day. It is the person, not the drug.

There needs to be a campaign going about how to be happy and to accept life, how to be responsible and make choices. I find it ever increasing that not only our young children of the day but also the grown adults have no idea how to decision make. They don't understand consequences and they don't understand rewards. They live life in desparity and hope. When those types of people get a hold of drugs that's when matters swing a loop out of control.

It's always the people, ALWAYS. The drugs aren't placing theirselves in kids hands, it's their choice, and from there it's their choice how much they do or don't do. It's irresponsibility or responsibility, some choose to abuse, this abuse is obviously irresponsible especially when there is family involved and these actions usually, without proper treatment to the children and family, can rub off on siblings and relatives emotionally and then straight into drugs for them too. Stupidity and depression can be chain reactive if not understood.

People are depressed because they don't have love and determination and strength in that love and they are mislead by various organizations and loud mouth ampitheatric spouting idiots that teach them nothing but hope and desparity, end times and WAR! FIGHT, war! We must! It's the end times! These people don't want that crap. They want peace, they want truth and they want understanding. I know, I've spent time around depressed people almost my whole life. There's always something bothering them and that reason is always a lack of love or an obstruction of love and understanding or of course a stress caused by these things from a multitude of varying avenues; money frequently one of them.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

I put this article up not to condone the use of illegal drugs by any means. I put instead just to show the hypocresy of our government that puts out a report on the dangers of illegal drugs on our young, but do not dare to touch the subject of the drugs that are prescribed to our children since a very young age.

Dont those medications also cause dependency? addiction? That perhaps will drive these kids to use illegal drugs? I think this is just a shot in the arm to Big Pharma, "dont use illegal drugs but get hook on the legal ones".

Star+Flag.

the hypocrites in the governmental system don't realize the medicinal qualities of marijuana, instead they force addictive and harmful drugs onto kids.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

Also, I give this thread about 12 more hours before it gets pulled from ATS> Cannabis related conspiracies usually never get the correct attention they deserve from ATS, although I totally understand how the owners are trying to keep the posters from discussing anything illegal.

I think this thread is walking a fine line regarding the T&C, I know how this site treats this type of threads but I thought the article was worth posting it. Even I will admit that if it becomes s thread of potheads talking about how good the stuff is then it should be closed.

So far I think the discussion had been conducted well within the T&C of the site, but that would be up to a MOD to make that determination.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A couple of points the anti-MJ stance by the government has got to be for Big Pharma for the simple reason, money. How many anti Meth (now here's a drug that should be illegal) or abuse of prescription drugs(which is a huge problem) commercials have you seen compared to the number of anti-MJ commercials. Second there a couple of MJ bills in congress right now HR5842 & HR5843. There are also several states with medical marijuana bills, Kansas where I live has one right now SB556.
As for kids being depressed I think it is because they don't have time to be kids anymore. They start getting homework in gradeschool and by the time they get in high school they have so many extracurricular activities that they are busy with them all of the time. Basically they don't have a chance to just be kids everything is so structured it is ridiculous. I personally am going to limit my kids on how many extra activities they do after school so they can just be kids while they can.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I think the reason for this current anti pot campaign is that MJ opens up critical modes of thinking that the PTB find unacceptable.

Believe the MSM propaganda....

Be good little consumers....

Don't question authority and pay your taxes!

Care to guess what they are?

Also I agree with this statement 100%

If you haven't seen these videos check them out. The Rick Simpson Story
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 68eric86

I agree with that also. It's absurd the amount of homework that kids have to do now days and the pressure and stress put on them by the school systems. Learning isn't even fun anymore as far as school is concerned.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nexusmagazine

The real problem with modern 'pot' is that so much is grown hydroponically (especially in Europe and Australia). The problem here is that the chemicals used in the liquid solution, along with fertilisers, are being uplifted into the plants. In normal commercial hydroponics, plants such as tomatoes, lettuce etc are FLUSHED with clean water - to remove these chemicals (usually stuff like manganese, phosphates, etc)

Hydroponic pot growers are not widely known to flush their crops, hence their consumers are suffering the exact same symptoms of these heavy metal poisonings. It is these chemicals in the pot from the liquids that is causing the rise in marijuana psychosis. It is NOT the concentration of THC causing the psychosis.

Where do you get this stuff? The above post is complete misinformation. First of all, there is no such thing as 'cannabis psychosis.' Secondly, most hydroponic cannabis growers do indeed flush their crops. A visit to any one of many cannabis forums will prove this. Plus, a plant grown with hydroponics does not grow any different biologically than one in a field or container.
Third, and most important, the elements you cite are necessary for plant growth and are used by every plant in some amount. Even crops that grow in farmer's fields, which are never 'flushed.' The elements are broken down and used by the plant to grow. Hemp has been shown to draw heavy metals from contaminated soil, hence its possible use in cleaning up toxic areas. This is where you might be getting confused. But it is not the same as the cannabis flowers that are grown for the purpose of consuming.
The 'chemicals' you seem to think are something different from 'fertilizers' are in fact, the same damn thing! The same as you would find in Miracle Grow or farmer's fertilizers. The hydroponic solutions are just specifically adjusted for cannabis. That's all. No poison pot.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
MJ like any other thing that we put in our bodies might not have addictive properties but that's not to say than any other individual would not develop a dependency on it or abuse it....

People abuse people, should we ban people? Everything has a potential for abuse.

But what would you consider MJ abuse anyway? You can't overdose on it, and using more doesn't change it's effects. You can't take too much MJ. All it does is hurt your wallet.

What chaos? There is no chaos and there is no problem with MJ use. That's just government and media hype, it's not reality.

Dependency? Again what does that hurt? Who steels for MJ? Millions of people are dependent on prescription drugs, what's the difference? I am prescribed vicadins (opiate) for my back, as many as I want, and they are one of the most addictive and potentially harmful drugs out there. I'd rather use MJ.

Can't you see the hypocrisy of it all? MJ is not illegal because it's dangerous, if it was then why don't they ban far more dangerous drugs such as alcohol and cigarettes?

I also have a LOT of experience and I've seen no one destroyed by MJ use, that's just silly. But I see everyday people effected by alcohol in very bad ways. Again do you see the contradictions and hypocrisy here?

Let the people decide. Oh wait they did, prop 215. Another example of hypocrisy by the system, ignoring a legal vote by the people. Did your vote count? It seems no ones does according to the feds.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Before this thread gets closed, I just wanted to chip in that although I support the legalization of Cannabis, it is important for people on the other side of the fence, and those on the fence, to realise that people supporting MJ are not 'potheads' whose sole desire is to sit about and get high all day. I support its legalization because I feel that it is a violation of my personal liberty and autonomy to be denied the choice of using something that, although may have adverse effects, is no worse for you than an espresso, a cigarette or a glass of scotch.

I do not deny that MJ can be damaging, I have witnessed it first hand happening to my close friends. But then again, this is a case of certain personalities being prone to certain actions and behaviours. MJ is not the problem, in the same way that alcohol is not the problem in regards to domestic violence, rather it is the people who use these substances in an irresponsible way who constitute the problem.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Oh I have an idea! Since we cant remove marijuana from the streets and stop kids from using it and from being the most used "drug" in our country lets make more outright false reports on how crazy it makes users!!

Does this remind you guys of any repeated history?

[edit on 14-5-2008 by topsecretombomb]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nexusmagazine

Well that report is fabricated. Weed will not solve your problems but will relieve any stress almost instantly. Depression might occur if you run out of the wonder drug. I would conclude with the only negetive thing about marijane I could mention is if you smoke to much in the morning don't plan on doing to much that day.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to point out the constant use of the term 'drug' when it comes to MJ.

Yes it can be considered a 'drug', but no more so than say coffee or any substance that alters your bodily functions.

Using the term 'drug' helps feed the hysteria.

Do you think coffee would be as popular if it was always labeled as the 'drug coffee'?

MJ is a stimulant, not to be confused with real drugs such as meth, coc aine, heroin. It's a natural substance that needs no more than curing (dryed out) to be used, unlike real drugs that require processing and other chemicals before it can be used.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
At this point in time i feel it's nessecary to point out that sooner or later, any drug that you put into your body will lead to other drugs.

In today's society, drug abuse seems to be the norm almost.

I understand why it is affecting society negatively, and as always with societal problems there is no easy solution.

The best i could hope for is for cannabis to be legalised for all people of an age over 18, but i don't think a lot of people would agree with the idea that cannabis should be legalised at all.

Perhaps it would be better for me to approach this via a different angle, that of the financial side of drug abuse.

It's Criminal, no doubt about it.

But, as many of those in society with less than law-abiding mentalities will tell you, Organised Crime is merely a business that is illegal - you work for money.

As such, the Narcotic industry (for lack of a better term) is susceptable to the very same problems and faults that every other capitalistic venture suffers from.

Supply meets demand, and more supply ensures that more demand is a necessity.

If we really want to deal with this problem for good, then our entire economic structure needs to be reformed - and the social values of Rich over Poor needs to be addressed to a point in which a viable solution is reached.

Until we do that, There will always be Organised Crime.

[edited to comply with T&C]

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
At this point in time i feel it's nessecary to point out that sooner or later, any drug that you put into your body will lead to other drugs.

Sorry but regardless of your personal experience there is no evidence that shows MJ use leads to other drugs.

Just because you tried MJ first it doesn't means it's that that lead you to other drugs.

It might look that way because MJ is easy to get and most people who use drugs would have smoked MJ at some point.

The Jamaican Studies 1970 said:
The use of ganja appears to be a benevolent alternative to alcohol by the working class. There is no problem with drug escalation in the Jamaican working class.

The LaGuardia sub-committee of New York 1944 said:
The use of marijuana does not lead to morphine or heroin or coc aine addiction and no effort is made to create a market for these narcotics by stimulating the practice of marijuana smoking.

Source

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I put forward my personal experience as personal truth.

It is My evidence, and even if it didn't lead to harder drugs it still led on to other drugs.

I apologise if you can't accept this as evidence, but it works for me.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I acknowledge however, that it is because of the people i knew that lead to other drugs - and now i recognise the sickening pleasure that *snip* took when he got me to accept a cigarette from him.

But what about that little bit about the coke and individual's family members?

Sooner or later, it would've happened, you can't deny that.

[edited to comply with T&C]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
I apologise if you can't accept this as evidence, but it works for me...

But how can you say it led you to other drugs? How do you know?
How do you know you wouldn't have tried other drugs if you had never smoked MJ?

I could say drinking coffee led me to drinking tea, but is there any evidence for this? Of course not.

Just because you used MJ first don't be tricked into believing that was what led you to other drugs. Your perception of what happened is coloured by propaganda.

Read this and get informed...
www.ukcia.org...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubyeyes
Mj leads to use of stronger drugs.

Wrong, you have witnessed people who used MJ and now use stronger drugs, just as I am a witness to people who have used MJ for well over a decade and use no other drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join