It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Possible theories as to why teenagers are depressed:

1) Teenage Angst.

Every teenager on this planet, bar one or two individuals who could probably be considered mentally pure, go through teenage Angst, which is very similar to depression.

2) War discontent.

No one likes a prolonged War.

3) The Cult of Materialism.

Speaks for itself.

The list goes on and on, but the reasons for people being depressed in the first place is often far closer to home than people realise.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
The list goes on and on, but the reasons for people being depressed in the first place is often far closer to home than people realise.

You hit the nail on the head with this statement. Kids get depressed for issues that are closer to them and impact them on their daily life.

The pressure on teenagers coming from their own parents, their friends, society, the way they need to act "cool" and all that crap, broken families, all that.

And to be honest many parents either don't have the time or don't care about their children problems thus they don't share the time that they need to attend their problems. I bet that everyone here has at least one friend or someone close that had this happen to them.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Lets not forget the thousands of potentially harmful chemicals and additives teens are subjected to. Whether its fast food or tap water, kids and adults are bombarded with poisons and toxins on a daily basis. Add to that the lack of physical exorcise and you have a nasty cocktail.

One issue I have with this article is, from my understanding, Hallucinogens do

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Mj leads to use of stronger drugs. It did for my aunt and uncle, and so my grandma had to raise their son. I´m sick of this pro MJ stuff. I don´t care if its not addictive physically, it is emotionally. Its a crutch and there is no such thing as responsible use, users become lazy. Their priorities get messed up, but then you can never tell a druggie otherwise, they will never see the what it is doing to them and their family. Its very very sad. Its this very strong support of MJ that shows just how mentally addicted some people are. Spirituality takes work on the self, not some drug....that is an illusion. I think the only people that should be taking MJ is medical patients that really need something like that that is not harsh on the body. It is killing kids, it is depressing them and causing them to cut themselves and all that bull. Wake up people!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Can someone explain this one to me: Why did we need a constitutional amendment for the federal government to ban alcohol, but not an amendment to federally ban drugs?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
First off I want to say a lot of you misunderstand what depression is.
Depression is not just feeling sad or lonely, it's a chemical imbalance.
Even though a lot of kids diagnosed with depression are really not depressed.

As far as MJ making depression worse, what a joke. How many depressed people have committed suicide from taking MJ?

Antidepressant medications may be associated with suicide attempts and death in severely depressed children and adolescents but not in adults, according to an article in the August issue of Archives of General Psychiatry, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.

Source

Mitch Earleywine, Ph.D., noted in an 11/17/05 press release :

"Not only does marijuana not cause depression, it looks like it may actually alleviate it...

Those who use marijuana to battle the symptoms of illness may be depressed because of their illness, not because of marijuana. Studies that do not identify medical use might falsely implicate marijuana, rather than sickness, as the cause of depressed feelings...

Thirty percent to 40% of patients with bipolar disorder are not consistently helped by or cannot tolerate standard medications. In the course of the authors' studies of the medical uses of cannabis (Grinspoon & Bakalar 1997), a number of sufferers were discovered who believed marihuana to be more effective than conventional anti-manic drugs, or who used it to relieve the side effects of lithium."
(11/17/05) Mitch Earleywine

Source

It's well know that the government works for big business, in this case the pharmas. They want people taking their pills not MJ.

But I don't think blanket statements can really be said, MJ might make some people depressed, but not all and not the majority.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rubyeyes

I totally DISAGREE!! I would prove you wrong in a second...if it didn't violate the T&C.

MJ in my opinion is less harmful than Alcohol and Tobacco, outlaw those then you can legitamately hold up the MJ laws.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ask any Law enforcement officer who they would rather deal with; a pot head or a drunk. Who beats their wives and kids?

With the track record of the Whitehouse telling the truth.....

Yeah, right.......

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubyeyes
Mj leads to use of stronger drugs....

None of what you claim is true. There is no proof MJ leads to stronger drugs. Just because you know someone who went from MJ to something else doesn't mean it was the MJ that made them do it.

Recent research suggests that recreationally used cannabis does not act as a gateway drug to harder drugs such as alcohol, coc aine and heroine. The same will apply to users of medicinal cannabis.

Source

It's emotionally addictive? In that case should we ban coffee? Chocolate? Love? All emotionally addictive. Emotional addiction is nothing like physical addiction, all you get from emotional addiction is you'll miss it when you don't have it. You won't physically crave it which is what causes problems with a physically addicted person.

User do not become lazy, another myth. If a person is lazy they will be on MJ or not.

MJ users are not druggies, thank you I am a legal prescribed user. Are people prescribed anti-depressants druggies?

No MJ is not killing kids, please that's nothing but hysteria perpetuated by the pharmas through government agencies with their best interest at heart, not ours. NO ONE has ever died from MJ use, unlike cigarettes, alcohol and other prescribed drugs.

Accidental death from prescription drugs, even when they are correctly given, is now the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S.

Source
You wake up and quit believing the BS.

Again deaths from Cannabis...0

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hey guys let's not act also like MJ is the best thing in the world because is not. People that create dependency on it become addicts with some serious problems. A guy high on MJ post the same risk to society than a person high on prozac if they decide to go out for a drive. It is clear to me and I have no doubt that excessive use of anything can create addiction.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Hey guys let's not act also like MJ is the best thing in the world because is not....

More myths. People do not become addicted to Cannabis.

from U.S. government researchers’
Empirical 1 Studies
:

1. short or long-term use of cannabis does not have any adverse effect on mental or physical health;

2. cannabis is non-addictive, smoked, eaten, or taken as a beverage; cannabis does not induce physical or psychological dependence;

Source

And notice who did that study...

As far as cannabis being the best thing in the world, well trust me it is for some of us. To be honest, without it I would have not been able to deal with my health problems and probably wouldn't be here.
Just do some research on Cannabis benefits and you'll not fail to see the benefits far outstrip the mild side effects.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Again I say:

I totally DISAGREE!! I would prove you wrong in a second...if it didn't violate the T&C.

About not being the best thing in the world...maybe you better look again at all the things it could do if it was allowed. If its not first its a close second.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

I agree!

One of the things they don't take into account is self medication. A lot of depressed people will smoke MJ to relieve their symptoms. So it's not surprising that a lot of depressed kids smoke pot. It doesn't mean the pot made them depressed....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

MJ like any other thing that we put in our bodies might not have addictive properties but that's not to say than any other individual would not develop a dependency on it or abuse it. Sorry but though my life experience I seen it, I have friends that smoke everyday and can function like normal human beings and I had others that become so dependant that destroy their lives.

I also believe that MJ has medical benefits like many other natural medicines I have no doubt about it, but I believe that some people develop a dependency on it, that's why I believe that it needs to be regulated instead of the chaos that we have right now.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

lol...how does a governemnt make a law that makes it illegal to use a plant that grows naturally on the planet?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The world is screwy is it not?.....I stopped coming this site long ago but always kept it as a bookmark. ATS, always seemed more pessimistic then optimistic. Pot we would agree ...opens the mind?...Perhaps gives us a realization of what actually is ....real? We've been fed propaganda since the 20s about pot and it's "deadly" effects, which if you have smoked pot, you know is bull....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skipper1975

Only when it benefits a few that can make themselves rich out of creating artificial medicines to make us dependant on those.

IMO I don't know why MJ is illegal, I think is going to be one of those things that 100 years from now our descendants are going to look at us and say: "jeez those caveman really didn't knew a clue".

Their are more benefits about legalizing MJ than only the medical benefits of it. It will decrease crime among others and is not like we are going to have a gazillion of pot heads in the street, if that were to be the case I believe that we would have that by now anyways. The point is that MJ would be used by those who like it which I think is a small percent of the population anyways and by legalize it we can hold those who use it accountable for anything that they do while on their effect the same way we can prosecute a person for driving drunk and at the same time we end the endless cycle of violence that the black market brings to this equation.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubyeyes
It is killing kids, it is depressing them and causing them to cut themselves and all that bull. Wake up people!

Desensitization through media and mainly TV is what’s causing these kids to be the way they are. MJ is not for kids and may make these symptoms worse but the symptoms are they’re because of the way our media and society is.

The cause is the corporate agenda for making profit no matter what harm it creates.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Close this thread, ban the user.

No talking about drugs; it is not allowed... you've been reported.

Sheer criminality.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Total Garbage.

Pot opens the mind and drives away all that crap propaganda the idiots portray.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join