It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana Says US Government Report

www.medicalnewstoday.com

A new White House report says that many American teenagers who are depressed and use marijuana to alleviate their condition are more likely to make it worse and even risk developing more serious mental health problems such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and even suicide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I put this article up not to condone the use of illegal drugs by any means. I put instead just to show the hypocresy of our government that puts out a report on the dangers of illegal drugs on our young, but do not dare to touch the subject of the drugs that are prescribed to our children since a very young age.

Dont those medications also cause dependency? addiction? That perhaps will drive these kids to use illegal drugs? I think this is just a shot in the arm to Big Pharma, "dont use illegal drugs but get hook on the legal ones".

www.medicalnewstoday.com

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Bunch]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Don't they release these reports by the season?

I can't help but wonder whether or not Bush had a personal hand in this - considering it "Came from the white house".

Since when was the White House an authority on drug psychosis anyway?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
Since when was the White House an authority on drug psychosis anyway?

I believe the answer to that would be since they alllowed every lobbyist in the U.S. to corrupt their administration and now they feel like they need to use taxpayers money to produce results for those who have put them in power. Thats all in seeing from the Bush Administration in their las months in power anyways.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

www.medicalnewstoday.com

A new White House report says that many American teenagers who are depressed and use marijuana to alleviate their condition are more likely to make it worse and even risk developing more serious mental health problems such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and even suicide.

There is something not being reported on by the mainstream media on this topic, and it is more out of ignorance than coverup.

The real problem with modern 'pot' is that so much is grown hydroponically (especially in Europe and Australia). The problem here is that the chemicals used in the liquid solution, along with fertilisers, are being uplifted into the plants. In normal commercial hydroponics, plants such as tomatoes, lettuce etc are FLUSHED with clean water - to remove these chemicals (usually stuff like manganese, phosphates, etc)

Hydroponic pot growers are not widely known to flush their crops, hence their consumers are suffering the exact same symptoms of these heavy metal poisonings. It is these chemicals in the pot from the liquids that is causing the rise in marijuana psychosis. It is NOT the concentration of THC causing the psychosis.

For the record, this post should not be interpreted as being supportive of drug use of any kind - legal or illegal. I would just like to see less kids being hospitalised from smoking poisonous pot.

Spread the word about it please.

peace

Duncan

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Such an action is not concurrent with an administration in it's closing days though - presumably what they would be doing which would be productive would be installing the measures in which to make the transition between this administration to the next as smooth as possible.

Your response is making me think that perhaps the Bush administration is going to have to be weened off power the same way you would ween a manic depressive off drugs.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Kinda like the problems we had with Blair in the closing days of his cabinet.

Although of course, even though we finally managed to get the guy out his second-in-command is now in charge, and a few of his old cronies have managed to stick around too.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few members of the Bush Cru stuck around once Bush finally decides it's time he left the building.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I don't understand the sudden increase in anti pot propaganda lately. Several crazy reports like this have come out recently. It seems as though it is to counter the legislation that Ron Paul is trying to push through as well as all of the recent reports of the benefits of MJ. The UK has even gone so far as to re-classify it and increase the penalties of using it against the reccomendation of the scientists that are responsible for studying it.

It is very aggravating. Just when you feel like strides are being made in the correct direction, the Govt comes along and reminds you that neither common sense nor the will of the people mean a damn thing. Lobbyists mean everything and we can't cut into anyones precious bottom line.

It is funny that the same govt that considers MJ a danger to the people and refuses to acknowledge any medical benefit thereby keeping it a schedule 1 drug, will move to reduce mad cow testing, even though mad cow disease kills people, out of a fear of losing revenue for the meat industry. Who do they care about again?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Oh you bet it believe is happening... McCain- Cheney '08. Cheney is not done I believe and he will push for at least some kind of role if the republicans get a hold of the WH this year. Also I read somewhere that Karl Rove is advising McCain's campaign, so you know that they are sticking around for 4 or 8 more.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
There's always got to be a reason, doesn't there? If someone's sad let's find something to blame it on. If someone killed someone else, let's find a reason outside of that person's own personal battles.

It's because these people don't have love in their lives, they don't have happiness. They don't know how to be happy and they don't know how to love. They don't know how to appreciate and enjoy life, possibly because the institutionalized and close minded church that they grew up in became a turn off when they realized that it didn't use logic or reasoning.

You know what, I'll let you all in on a little secret. I consider myself extremely intellectual and very content and admirable about life and it has nothing to do with my usage, and I do use; no, instead it has everything to do with myself and my own personal strength. My own convictions and my expation of fear, doubt and lies.

If they didn't tell you it was bad for you, you'd enjoy it like it wasn't and isn't.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Good post

To me what gets on my nerves is the hypocrisy in which they make abolute judgements about MJ, but if some kid goes on a killing rampage while in use of antidepressants there is no way that those drugs could be a cause for his behaviour. To me this is just outright laughable.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
just out of curiosity...

would smoking through a water pipe/bong give the same cleaning affect as rinsing the crops? Most "veteran" smokers prefer to smoke out of a glass pipe that has some sort of water filtration...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Yes, the double standard is just insane. The people that buy into it blow my mind. What is more depressing, the side effects of MJ or the side effects of the Bush Administration?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Amicable - Yeah. Why don't we send them to depression rehab instead of giving them drugs?

We have rehab for everything, but not depression and sadness? There should be a happy camp. A place where people learn to love life and this world (I know it can be hard at times with these morons running everything like little bully children on a playground) and to deal with theirselves and not deny their feelings. A place where they can open up. Drugs or no drugs, it's not causing these kids to be depressed in the first place; that's what needs to be fixed.

If you're strong enough you can be happy/content fulfilled through anything. Drug use or not. We need to start accepting each other for our personal preferences. Some people like MJ, others don't. Just because someone adheres to it, it doesn't make them a bad person, nor does it make them a depressed person. What makes them those things is how they view their own self image and image of others. It's purely psychological and it CAN be overcome. I've been through it! I know first hand.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
the psychoses are real but they can be obliterated by spirituality. Seriously...
when a person who grows up on tv mind control in America that person cannot handle real reality already. Pot makes it worse and they develop these psychoses because they are abusing the drug. There is such a thing as responsible use. THC can be used as a spiritual tool as it is on many reservations and sovereign nations across the u.s.
I don't condone abuse and smoking to take away the pain of life. ''the pains of life'' are essentially self created...you have, within you , the ability to manifest whatever lifestyle you want. The only limitation is your imagination, or rather, lack thereof.
Weed helps me visualize exactly what I want out of life and I use it as a tool and as a recreational pastime. Ive met many elders who have smoked the ganja.
In no way am I promoting the use of a drug, Im just saying that the ptb are using these so called ''psychoses'' as a pretense to drive up the price on the market. We haven't even seen what inflation is about to do to this country. U think 4 dollars a gallon is bad...
100$US per gallon of gas will induce more psychoses than pot ever will..

you gotta ask why are they depressed? Who created the depression? Who stands to benefit from a majority of people's depression when it is easily curable.
I bet if I hung out with a depressed person for a week at the most I could snap em out of it.

Depression, IMO results from selfishness.
Quit thinking about yourself if you are depressed...the universe is about giving, not taking...Yet mainstream ideology is about the ''SELF''
Thats very contradicting and shuts you off from the power of the universe. You begin to live in a box of reality that eventually attracts energy that sets your life up with events that could make a spiritually disconnected person become ''depressed''
Focus on giving to other people. What ever you want more of...give more of it. Stop being greedy.
Once you overcome mental strongholds marijuana can become a powerful tool in the progression of your spirit.
This isn't looking good for the minority of people who enjoy stigmatized recreational drugs..

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

[I put this article up not to condone the use of illegal drugs by any means. I put instead just to show the hypocresy of our government that puts out a report on the dangers of illegal drugs on our young, but do not dare to touch the subject of the drugs that are prescribed to our children since a very young age.]

You're right ask some parents of children with ADD or ADHD. First thing the they start saying to them right off the bat "he/she would do better if we medicate him/her". A lot of problems associated with ADHD can be reduced by a change in diet, some of the sypmtoms themselves can be caused by diet. There is also help in the form of behavior modification. Yet they always seem to want to start out with the drugs first.They don't want to tell you the possible side effects of drugs like ridalin, such as stunted growth, and possible pyschosis.

Then when the kids get to school it's a real battle, First teacher that has a problem with your child right away i think you should seriously think about medicating him/her. If you disagree next thing you know you've got the school councelors and social workers all over your butt accussing the parents of being neglectful simply because they don't want thier children drugged down.

Then when the kid gets older and wants to self medicate uh uh you can't do that it's not good for you, you're a criminal! What do they expect the kids to do when they've been introduced to drugs at such an early age.

I am not advocating drugs, just puttin my 2 cents in.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision
the psychoses are real but they can be obliterated by spirituality. Seriously...
when a person who grows up on tv mind control in America that person cannot handle real reality already. Pot makes it worse and they develop these psychoses because they are abusing the drug. There is such a thing as responsible use. THC can be used as a spiritual tool as it is on many reservations and sovereign nations across the u.s.
I don't condone abuse and smoking to take away the pain of life. ''the pains of life'' are essentially self created...you have, within you , the ability to manifest whatever lifestyle you want. The only limitation is your imagination, or rather, lack thereof.
Weed helps me visualize exactly what I want out of life and I use it as a tool and as a recreational pastime. Ive met many elders who have smoked the ganja.
In no way am I promoting the use of a drug, Im just saying that the ptb are using these so called ''psychoses'' as a pretense to drive up the price on the market. We haven't even seen what inflation is about to do to this country. U think 4 dollars a gallon is bad...
100$US per gallon of gas will induce more psychoses than pot ever will..

you gotta ask why are they depressed? Who created the depression? Who stands to benefit from a majority of people's depression when it is easily curable.
I bet if I hung out with a depressed person for a week at the most I could snap em out of it.

Depression, IMO results from selfishness.
Quit thinking about yourself if you are depressed...the universe is about giving, not taking...Yet mainstream ideology is about the ''SELF''
Thats very contradicting and shuts you off from the power of the universe. You begin to live in a box of reality that eventually attracts energy that sets your life up with events that could make a spiritually disconnected person become ''depressed''
Focus on giving to other people. What ever you want more of...give more of it. Stop being greedy.
Once you overcome mental strongholds marijuana can become a powerful tool in the progression of your spirit.
This isn't looking good for the minority of people who enjoy stigmatized recreational drugs..

+1

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Sorry guys but this statement "Depressed Teenagers Making Themselves Worse With Marijuana" is correct. Unfortunately this thread won't last long so there's no point in discussing this further imho.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by styxxz

It's only correct insofar as those teenagers are in a situation in which they are depressed.

"Making themselves worse" is not the same as "The Cause of".

That the 'white house' is AFRAID to address the issues CAUSING the depression is something that i believe is more important than whatever it is that teenagers choose to do in order to waste the time that the Government seems more than happy to give them plenty of.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

That's right. I didn't say that it was the "cause". I think it's important to get the word out to the people who already suffer from a mental illness not to use MJ to medicate them selves. Same can be said for other drugs as well, not picking on MJ..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join