It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My familys survival set up.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
So, I never really thought about how extensive my grandfather has set up the assurance of our familys survival. He has gone to pretty extreme measures I found out from talking to him the other day. I'm going to try to explain to you, in my best way, exactly what he has done. I'm not even a survivalist at all, it's my grandfather who is.

Okay here I go. In the backyard he has a fallout shelter underneath the shed. If you go into the shed and in the very back door there is a very heavy metal door. If you open it you go down concrete stairs into a big concrete room. In the room there is the common things you'd see in a fallout shelter. Military quick meals, blankets, guns, all on a bulk level. In one of the corners of the room is a faucet. Here is where I think it gets pretty amazing. On the other end of the yard is a huge concrete cauldron holding thousands of gallons of water in circulating drums. The faucet lets you take on that supply of water. Aside from all of the fall out stuff he has a huge food storage supply in the basement, and literally five thousand pounds of wheat in the garage, no lies swear to god. He also has a complete hydro ponic greenhouse on top of the cauldron. He has been gathering survival stuff for the past fourty years. You could literally supply the entire neighborhood for a while on what he has.

I tried my best to explain on a "no little to nothing" level. Any questions you have just ask and i'll ask him.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If you can supply YOURSELF with what you need, how could any centralized power successfully manipulate you by controlling resources?

They can't.

This is why it makes so much sense to become independent, and provide for yourself you own food, water, and electricity.

The system hates this idea, because when people can take care of themselves, there is no justified need for government in this regard.

What is government's job? To define our rights and civil liberties, and then to protect and defend them. That's it. When the government starts chipping away at these very things, then the government has become corrupt, rogue, and criminal.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well, if his goal is to be independent from a government, he definatly has achieved that goal. One of his newer things was his solar powered water heater, double insulated house, and also making the house even more earthquake proof. He is a very smart man.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ianr5741

Very true consider the property tax for example, A man can purchase a piece of land, Farm it, Hunt it, Fish it, drink from the well on it, build his home from the trees on it etc, And be completely self reliant, And even so hes still forced to pay a property tax, In order to do that he will have to either get a job, or sell the product of his labor, which will be taxed of course, so not only is his property being taxed but his labor is as well... and he has no real choice in the matter...

Hes completely self reliant yet is being forced into this system,

It's not the free country our founders envisioned by any means...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by USMC-oorah

Your Grandfather is a wise man.

Most everything he has stored will still work today, just as he planned.

I would like to suggest to you to take advantage of modern technology NOW and store some other things that your Grandfather could not have done even 15 years ago.

I'll make this as brief as possible.

1. A cheapo Laptop from E- bay, that runs on 12 volts, or has a car charger system. CD-Rom or even DVD drive is a must, as well as USB.
OS should be no later than Windows 2000, because you may need to reinstall without telephone support
Win 2000 is about as late as you can go running windows.
a. LIBRARY PDF FILES:
1 Everything you can get a hold of: Medical, Practical Machines, Water treatment, CBR decontamination, repair manuals, solar system info, etc...
b. BOOKS of HISTORY, and Almanacs, Digital Bible, Farming etc...
c. Food storage programs, fallout prediction programs, WORD, Media Player, Adobe Acrobat etc...

2. Update your Medical Supplies!!!!!!!!!!!!
a. Modern over the counter drugs, Pepcid, Pepto, Alieve, Aspirin etc...
b. Modern bandages and antibacterial dressings.
c. Modern Instruments, blood pressure, blood sugar, ear wash kits, even portable oxygen bottles, and modern burn blankets etc...

3. Update your Radiation Detectors with Calibrated units (www.ki4u.com...)
a. Buy Potassium iodide ( KI ) for 30- 45 days per person
b. Update your protective equipment, and store Hospital Grade disinfectants and cleaners, along with regular Bleach, Lysol , Tide, Baking Soda etc..
c. Modern Rubber Gloves and Paper N- 95 Masks at minimum.
d. New Information on all Chem/ Bio /Nuke Medical Aspects actual books or PDF files )

4. Update your Water filtration systems (www.generalecology.com...)

5. Get ANYTHING that runs on 12 volts: Coffee pots, Ovens, Stoves, popcorn poppers, Q- Beams, SHORTWAVE and CB Radios, Small TV, FANS, Ice chests, drop lights, solar tiki torch lights( rechargable AA battery inside )

6. Invest in a very small solar panel, under 100 watts.

7. Update hand tools to Modern Technology. Drills, Saws, Hammers, Nails.
shovels, razor knives, etc... 12 or 24 volt is preferred if QUALITY. Can be hot wired to car battery(ies). Demolition Grade Saw Blades. New Chain Saw.

8. Store potential misc. supplies such as WIRE, battery post connectors, 12 volt soldering iron, crimp connectors, cheap multimeters, fuses etc...

9. Firefighting Equipment: Smoke Detectors, Carbon Monoxide Det., ABC Extinguishers, CO2 Extinguishers, FIRE HOSE and FIRE PUMP ( Gas Powered ), nomex gloves, old "turn out coat" from E- bay.

10. Modern Alarm system ( build yer own ) that makes NOISE and flashes lights. ( Radio Shack OLD technology 1970 to present is A- ok )

Thank you for posting my 'dream backyard'. Arent we long lost Cousins somwhere down the line?

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
My grandfather is constantly updating his supplys. I told him what you mentioned. He said the computer thing was a reallly good idea and that he's going to do that. He has most of the other stuff on your very detailed list (kudos!). When I was little I always was scared because I never knew why he was always storing and plotting! As I got older the habit is just now kinda sinking in on me. I've started my own food storage and it's just the beginning! And who knows we might just be cousins!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well, If we're not Cousins, we obviously have the same up-bringing.

Something about the 'Greatest Generation' that we will never replace in the new millenium. I think honesty and Hard Work are the Primary attributes that we lost somewhere along the way. Be Proud Of Your GrandPaw. Not Many like him anymore.....

The computer will take a LOT of time.

I suggest starting to download PDF's now, to Your system, to be transfered later to the laptop(s).

Also, once again on 'E-Bay', there are a LOT of Emergency Medical CD-Roms, DVD Training courses ( Hazmat /EMT) etc for abour $2.00 per title.

Here are a few WEB Links for you to explore ( not E-bay ), But I suggest saving as much as possible for "offLine" viewing.

You will find that Knowledge is easy to come by, but difficult to sort and store. Once you have it downloaded and 'foldered', you can burn cd's, or transfer it to the laptop with USB or Networking.

**( dont go over the 56 or 'whatever number' character limit is in the 'Path' to the files though, in case you need to transfer them in DOS. Like c:\windows\desktop is 17 'characters' long. I dont remember the actual number that your limited to, but I've had that problem before and it was a pain. I thinks its 56 or under, maybe up to 128 = keep it short. )**

One More thing, when you store the computer, Take out the battery, disconnect all cords, remove the Cd-rom drive and anything else you can remove easily. ( Memory Chips if possible ) THEN store the computer in a METAL BOX, insulated with cardboard or foam between the computer and the metal bottom, sides and top of the box. It also may help to totally encapsulate the computer in Tin Foil, once again insulated from touching the sides of the storage box.

Dont store the cords, mouse, ext. keyboard, charger, or anything else in the same box with the computer. Especially any coiled up cords. ( EMP )

I would seal the top of the box with metal airconditioning tape as well, everywhere there is a hinge, gap or hole. 'Grounding' is still questionable, and I cant advise you on that. Its hard to get ^accurate^info about EMP Still.

waltonfeed.com... ( Food Storage Long Term GREAT INFO)

athagan.members.atlantic.net... ( Water Treatment in SIT X covers all )

www.survivalring.org... ( Great Info since 1977 )

www.survivalring.org... ( prepared CD SETS well worth the $ )
saves a LOT of time downloading + free updades, Great people A+.

www.globalsecurity.org... ( Army Field Manuals )

www2.dupont.com... ( Latest PPE Du-Pont for Modern Threat Protection very informative)

www.endtimesreport.com... ( Partial EMP Protection Primer )
More web sites are available on EMP, but difficult to sort fact from fiction.

www.tpub.com... More Manuals ( thousands )

visz.rsoe.hu... ( ALERT MAP of GLOBE updated min. every 12 hours )

www.biblepath.com... ( free Bible Download )

Anyway, there is a LOT more, but this is not the place to post anything else.

I wish you and your family the best. You have a GREAT start, and dont lose the momentum.

I honestly believe that Knowledge will be the most important resource that you can store, and it will help you to adapt your plans for better results.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

www.survivalring.org... ( One More, I think these are free, I cant tell because I'm a Member and I look to be logged in )

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You have a very wise grandfather.

It appears he is doing his part, and now I urge you to do yours: learn from him. Learn his outlooks, his ideas, his knowledge. Learn why he chose to do this, and what he watched for. Learn how he thinks.

As has been said, this man is part of the Greatest Generation. If we ever want another generation to rival them, we must learn from them and carry their knowledge and wisdom into the future. I wish I had learned more from those in my family before they were gone.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I'm off topic here Redneck,

But I recently learned where the Term comes from.

Its very honorable to be called a Redneck, because all the miners from I think 1918 stood up for their workers rights against

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Off topic, yes, but I am flattered by your realization. You will have a U2U shortly.

Now back to the wisdom of the grandfather...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sorry, I meant to save that as a "draft", and come back to it later. ( I'm new ). I didnt think that posted, and it wasnt supposed to 'yet'.

Well, Long story Short, after the Miners Rebelled against thier bosses, the bosses eventually sent in the Pinkerton Detective agency and the Army ( Or National Guard ) to break the strike that the Miners had started to get better working conditions.

Well the mining company immediately took away their housing , little shanty shacks that the company owned and the Miners and thoier families lived in.

No problem, the miners set up 'camp' in 'tents' on a nearby clearing and continuied to strike. They had their wives and children with them as well.

The Pinkerton Detective Agency was harassing the Miners constantly , trying to break the strike, but to no avail. Shooting randomly into the camp.

Thats when the Military showed up. The Miners were very glad to see the military, thinking that they were on their side, and that they would be protected from the lawless Pinkertons. They cheerd them on as they marched past.

The Military set up on a hill, with 'potato masher' machine guns, and gave the miners ONE chance to negotiate. They had been "hired" by the mining company.

The Miners told them to go to hell, and the Military commander went back up the hill and ordered " opend fire".

Men, Women and Children were massacared. Then they Burnt the tent city to the ground. The miners had tried to protect their wives and childern by digging trenches inside their tents, to protect them from the Pinkertons, and Military Harassing gunfire. The Military maching gun fire dessimated the emcampmnet, and the Inferno afterwards finished off the job.

I dont know how many were killed. ( and were Burned Alive )

When the rest of the miners in the country heard of this massacre, they all wore RED BANDANNAS on thire necks to show solidarity and to support their slain brothers.

Hence the term 'Red Neck' was Born.

Like I said Its very honorable to be called a Red Neck, and I salute your ATS Member Name. I'm 5th Generation Texan, so I think I meet the requirements as well, from my Southern Baptist upbringing.

My details are not complete, and there is a bit more to the story, but the basic facts remian...... The Military and The Detective agency Gunned DOWN Women and Children because they were PAID to do it by the mining Company. I think it was either the Rothchild Mining Company or the Rockafellers. One of those BIG names that you recognize immediately even today. Simply GREED and control over the working man.

Just like today.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I joined just for this thread.
My grandfather is the same way. He could fix a car by the age of seven (no joke) has an eigth grade education but can build a house on his own.
He always told me about being prepared.
So now I take his words to heart and I'm trying my best (I'm only 17).

This is the best thread I have ever read! Thnak you!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
There is just something about the greatest generation that's special. My grandfather and your grandfather would get along. Star for you my friend!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I'd love to see pictures of the setup he has created. Think you could snap a few and post them here for us all to see?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

I'd love to see pictures of the setup he has created. Think you could snap a few and post them here for us all to see?

I second that! Great Idea.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Thanks friend!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Yeah, next time i'm down there I will snap a couple for sure!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What kinds of guns does he have? Im sure an individual whose been stockpiling for 40+ years might have some nice pieces of steel if you catch my drift.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
Yeah, next time i'm down there I will snap a couple for sure!

Excellent...thanks. It sounds like a really good setup, and other people who have an interest could probably learn something from seeing pictures. Maybe you could even draw up a quick floorplan with dimentions, etc.

Thanks again.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
He's got a variety of shotguns, 3 ar-15's, a Ak-47, a Chinese SKS, a vintage 1911 Colt 45, and i'm not even sure about the other ones. My uncle in Idaho is a huge gun collector. He's managed to attain a gatteling gun. The mans a gun freak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join