It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake or real? Russian weapons in RAF... with Quiz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
RAF Spadeadam is the British military's testing range where air crew practice battle with simulated surface to air threats. Basically they have a load of Russian SAM systems and various radar decoys etc. Most of the kit was obtained from Eastern Europe(?) and includes SA-2, SA-8 and SA-6 missile systems.

I've been nosing around it on Google Earth and identifying the various kit - it can be challenging because a lot of them are decoys. You don't normally get to see some of these mobile systems on Google Earth in OPFOR countries but because we know they are here, we know where to look. Also, RAF have a photo gallery of the site so often you can cross-reference photos to Google Earth.

CLICK The images for full view

Here are some of the kit. Radar for S-300 SAM:

SA-2 SAM systems components

A fake Roland SAM system

ZSU-23 AAA system

A fake T-72 tank (Serbia scenario?)

Ok, so there's a bunch of real and fake systems, so how good a photo intelligence analyst would you be? Probably better than me, but here's some childish fun, can you spot what it is, and whether it's real or fake???

Answers:
A - img248.imageshack.us...
B - img301.imageshack.us...
C - img377.imageshack.us...
D - img377.imageshack.us...
E - img248.imageshack.us...

There's also a Sukhoi, numerous other weapon systems and decoys and a mock airfield if anyone wants to go look in Google Earth.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by planeman]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
They all look liked simulated SAM sites to me.

Where exactly are you getting this info that the British purchased Russian A2A equipment?

Many airfields and testing ranges have simulated SAM sites and convoys for adversary training and familiarization with foreign systems. Doesn't mean their necessarily real.

The SA-2 site looks really dodgy. It's not even concealed properly, it looks like 6 ditches surrounding a tin shed or something.
It's much cheaper to simulate and gather Intel on foreign weapons rather than buy them as they serve little useful purpose to your actual offensive capabilities.

On another note, I'd like to see what happens to that Roland A2A when a couple of 20mm rounds whizz at it.
"BOOM! Pssssssshhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
They all look liked simulated SAM sites to me.

Where exactly are you getting this info that the British purchased Russian A2A equipment?
It's fact mate. See the photos.

I agree the SA-2 site is hardly convincing but it pre-dates the fall of the SU, those aren't real SA-2s. Back in the day it probably looked more convincing - it does has SA-2 radar simulators though. www.raf.mod.uk...

Simulated SA-3 radar on the site (US built): www.raf.mod.uk...

Sukhoi Su-22 on the site, no prizes or guessing where RAF acquired this one www.bunkertours.co.uk...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Lol.. hard to tell if that's an actual S2A missile site or a big inflatable decoy from about 100m up buddy.

Having radar simulators doesn't necessarily mean they bought the entire S2A Missile Package including the launchers. That could be for research to deduce how best to jam or avoid enemy radar and such.

Sukhoi Su-22 on the site, no prizes or guessing where RAF acquired this one

Isn't that an Su-17?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Export versions of the Su-17 were dubbed Su-20 and Su-22 depending on model.
I thought I did pretty well. ID'd the tanks as fake in the first picture (no idea on model). ID'd all the SAM and AAA platforms. ID'd the Scud (though I didn't even consider it being possibly fake, so I won't say I guessed that part right). In the fourth picture (D), I ID'd the SA-6 but thought the tanks were real (though again I have/had no idea what type).

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman

Real or fake?.... If I see that puppy popping up out of the blue with the 2 O'clock shadow like that, I would be reaching for a big red button!!

P.s. can we hire those inflatable decoys for children's birthday parties? or is that just asking for friendly fire

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

Lol.. hard to tell if that's an actual S2A missile site or a big inflatable decoy from about 100m up buddy.
For SA-2s specifically they are definately fakes, never said they weren't. I can elaborate on them at a later date. Count the fins on them
But Shilka, SA-8 and SA-6 are real.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
whilst the launchers are real - all the missiles are fakes , in fact the SA-2`s are based upon ex British Army Thunderbird II missiles.

from a repost of this thread on pprune and serving RAF posted the above

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yep, here's a pic:

I was holding off saying that or showing the pic just because I was using that picture as a quiz image on sinodefence forum's epic mega quiz thread.

Basically it's a Thunderbird II with the boosters removed and fake fins to make it look a bit more like an SA-2. Why they didn't just make fake SA-2 missiles from scrap metal I don't know....

top topics

join