It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

911 Operator: "I don't give a S---"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
If people would start taking responsibility for themselves and protect there selfs instead of waiting on government then we wouldn't hear this crap.

Ah, anarchy. Always sounds good until you actually have to live with it.

911 operators are just people who probably really don't give a sh@t about you but need to make money anyway they can.

Some yes, some no.

I hope I teach my girls "who are little now" to take care of themselves and to carry a gun, knife and know when and how to use them.

Wow. You want your kids to conceal-carry? That's not even legal in a lot of states, regardless of age. Even in states where conceal-carry is legal kids can't usually do it. You want your kids to be armed in school too? Hope you've got a damn good lawyer.

To many boyfriends are killing their girlfriends or ex and if my kids don't do what they need to do to protect themselves then I'll have to do it. So mine are gonna know.

Let's hope they don't over-react and blow some guy's head off for trying to hold their hand.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

If people would start taking responsibility for themselves and protect there selfs instead of waiting on government then we wouldn't hear this crap.

Then stop making me pay the salary of these police if I can handle these situations on my own.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yet another sign of Society's pessimism and rampant prejudice to those who can't take care of themselves, or a sign of the people who are trying to help being put under too much stress?

Either way, one would think that something should be done about it - for example; allowing 911 operators to take regular breaks, like pool attendants do, or even letting them smoke while answering calls (that wasn't thought through, but you get the idea).

I am under no illusion that these people are doing one of the most stressful jobs in our society, and everyone has their limit no matter how cool they can be.

But... When people start to reach that limit, something is seriously wrong, and getting caught up in the "Oh my, he must've hurt her feelings" or "How unprofessional" side of things is just pessimism - A solution is needed, not finger-pointing.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
After all the publicity I'd like to know if this guy still has a job. Without being in the shoes of one of these operators it's hard to say how I would reacted having been in his situation, but I'm sure it wouldn't have cold. So the woman couldn't hear him, I'll give him the deserved credit for holding it together while the call was taking place, but I would have expected a little more of a rational attitude out of someone in this line of work. Generally when someone calls 911 it's for a true emergency that requires the person on the other end to be collected and willing to help the person through. I guess this one's a bit controversial.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I live in the Nashville area watch Channel 5 every night. Unfortunately, this isn't the only time the 911 operators have been in a story. If it is your emergency you want people to have compassion. If they can't deal with it, then quit.

On another note, Tennessee is in the process of cutting numerous state jobs. The Metro (Nashville) gov't is also going to undergoing some staff cuts. I don't know if they the (911) workers are employed by the state or are contracted out by the city.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quarantine

For my own peace of mind I'm going to assume this was a 911 operator with mental problems, but looking at it in the much larger scheme of things, is it possible these operators are being trained to be a bit more callous for other agendas?

www.newschannel5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

rather than them being trained...
would it not be more economical to just .. let those kind of thing shappen naturally.. and blow them up in the media.. so people get the overwhelming feeling that the person at the other end of the 911 call actually doesnt care?

same effect...
less energy wasted on training.

-

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Oh man, Budski, you really have worked call centers... you mentioned Lucent CMS. Heh...

It's been a while since I worked a call center. Two ulcers and some serious acid reflux caused by stress saw to that.

Does Lucent still have that horrible habit of getting the audio levels absolutely wrong? Making the customer sound like they aren't even present... and the agent sounds like they are talking to themselves?

I remember the old call server back at a previous job... it had a funny quirk where, if you dialed an inside line to another agent, it would create an error message for your manager stating it failed to start recording... yet logged you as active with a customer.
... we would call each other sometimes just to calm each other down.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
ugh..i posted a link to a story about the 911 center in Nashville, TN

per the OP's article yes the 911 employee is no longer working there...

and I also did bring up the issue of how long it took the police to get there..

honestly..do people read through the forums before posting?? lol

Someone else did a pretty good job on the first page of pointing out how biased the original article was..to the point of making the journalist out to be a 'sensationalist'; imho - just out for some grab of the market share..spread'n some more shock factor around

Out of the posts on this thread, seems like two big issues come out (or should come out)

1. What took so long for the police to get there; so was it really a 911 Dispatch issue.

2. Should the 911 Operator have lost his job over this, and did he loose his job because of bad previous performance, or because of bad media attention.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
1. What took so long for the police to get there; so was it really a 911 Dispatch issue.

2. Should the 911 Operator have lost his job over this, and did he loose his job because of bad previous performance, or because of bad media attention.

I can field this one.

1:
In a call center, the calls are coming far too rapidly for anyone to remember the address of a customer who called hours ago... and most ticket systems will only allow you to populate a request at the time of the call, otherwise it tacks on the request later on... if you can even find the old ticket.

So the likelihood is the agent actually did arrange a dispatch at the time of the call, and the fault of the delay falls strictly on the police themselves.

2: Most companies, so long as you are on good terms with your superior, will not fire you for a single infraction like this. They will however fire you if your superior comes under fire for your actions. If that happens, your superior will fire you to save their own skin...

In this event, the media got on the companies backside, the company turned to the superior for answers, and the superior would have been left no option but to dismiss the agent.

So yeah, it was the media who cost the agent their job.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Ever been through a fast food drive through in Alabama? Heck, I've probably already cussed you out too! And, on a bad day, you've probably cussed me back thinking I didn't know too!

"Shsdflshsh I'd like a shdfsdsfds with cheese and a shsdksfsf to drink"
"SPEAK ENGLISH, PARK CLOSER TO THE SPEAKER, AND HOW ABOUT LOOKING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE MIC NEXT TIME! ENJOY YOUR FREAKING TACO! Tommy, spit in this drink for me please. No change, this one doesn't get change."
'Why does it take these GED idiots so long to cook a hamburger?'
'Because we make yours REALLY Special. Perfection takes time, eh? That, and my GED didn't teach me to read a timer. How long do fries cook again? Guess your college diploma is why I can't hear you over the jalopy you got broke down... err.. parked by the speaker.'

Goes on all the time. Amazing we can do it with such nice smiles on our faces. (And I'm a nice guy at that, so just think about the mean people you piss off... and never know it!)

So, yeah, I can COMPLETELY believe this. At $5.15 an hour, we don't like taking much crap. After the 50th call about drunk hubbies, cheating wives being caught and people getting hurt, and thugs out robbing... we all might get a little callous.

Shouldn't have been said, but I can in a way see why. At least it wasn't atually DIRECTED at the caller. THAT would be to far.

Stupid posteee.... where's my mute button??

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by goopity
I live in the Nashville area watch Channel 5 every night. Unfortunately, this isn't the only time the 911 operators have been in a story. If it is your emergency you want people to have compassion. If they can't deal with it, then quit.

I'd just like to pint out that the "compassion" issue didn't come up until the story was recorded. At no time during the emergency call did Sheila hear the operator swear at, to or about her. She didn't know that had happened until the "journalist" told her of it.

Were I that journalist I'd be worried about whether I was going to find my tyres slashed and my windows smashed and my car stereo missing as a result of the "result" of the story and its investigation; the part about the operator no longer being with the department.

A friend of mine who used to work at Macca's recorded the drive-thru operator one day just to give us all a good laugh. Yeah, she pretty much said what I was thinking each time...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
OK,

Here may be a clue as to why Dispatchers lose their cool from time to time...

And it's funny to boot..

Real 911 Calls

The voices have been computer generated.. (To protect the innocent :lol

Semper

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
LOL I lost my last 'outside the home' job this way. I didn't miss the mute button, but DAMN did the whole center come to a STOP when I screamed bloody murder.

The job sucked anyway. People ARE infuriating idiots.

Originally posted by johnsky
Uh oh, someone missed the mute button.

Nah, we see this kind of thing with Tech Support Agents all the time.
If you don't hit mute once in a while, and let a quick bit of steam off, you'd go mad dealing with so many frustrated and angry people.

I can only assume 911 operators have the same stress issues.

The only difference is, most call center agents, dispatch personnel, and phone counselors hit the mute button before cursing at you for being, well, rather infuriating.

This one simply missed the mute button, or assumed the Voice Recorder switched off once the line was dead.

Most call operators swear at you... you just don't know it.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Absolutely shocking. I can think of no excuse for management to let such incompetent fools man the phones. The operators in question managed to stack error on error (including improperly coding the call causing the police officer to help with a traffic stop rather then protect this woman). No surprise of course when completing the training apparently isn't required before they let you toy around with people's lives. The cussing operator in question was a trainee who was fired later on for flunking his exam.

The cussing itself is appalling considering the situation. As he states he doesn't care what happens to the woman I have to wonder whether all the errors leading to the absence of help really were mistakes.

The management of this operating centre is let off way too easily in my opinion. "We fired him, case closed." If he was allowed to put on a headset, who's to say other people like him won't be allowed to do the same?

That said, I must say I too thoroughly disliked the sensationalism of the journalist. The interview made me think of the movie Mad City with John Travolta.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I'd say don't call them if you're prepared. Got to have the police for robberies and other crimes. But police and domestic don't mix very well. People don't want to get involved and turn their heads when crime happens so I wouldn't count on the public or police. You gotta take care of yourself no matter what.

Anyway the 911 operator was fired for making his remark.
911 operator fired!

[edit on 5/15/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Sorry, this was a reply to The Nighthawk

You took my post out of context. I see to many murders because people are taught to call the police or in this case a 911 operator and in most cases it's too late when the police arrive. Self Defense is what I'm talking about, not ignorance like you suggested.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
In my opinion there is a difference between letting of steam because some buffoon cant plug their printer in and someone who is worried for their life because a violent ex-partner is outside with a knife?

The operators who answer 999/911 calls should be able to handle high levels of pressure and shouldnt have responded with the "can't give a s###" comment.

The people who man these lines need to be compassionate and highly efficient.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Sorry, this was a reply to The Nighthawk

You took my post out of context. I see to many murders because people are taught to call the police or in this case a 911 operator and in most cases it's too late when the police arrive. Self Defense is what I'm talking about, not ignorance like you suggested.

I understood perfectly. My point is, "self defense" training and the means to put that training into use (carrying weapons) inevitably leads to people irresponsibly USING those weapons in non-life-threatening situations.

The average human being in modern society is not psychologically prepared to handle situations calmly and objectively, and discern when force is needed and when it's not. That's why we have police--they're supposed to be professionals, properly trained and prepared. Unfortunately police have slipped in quality as they've moved from serving and protecting to brutality as policy, but still, I don't want a heavily-armed society packing on a daily basis because I don't want to see shootouts at Christmastime over the last Nintendo Wii on the shelf.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by The Nighthawk]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 281011

Need to be. You show me 50 people who are precise, quick, courteous, care, and can handle copious amounts of stress (needed for this job) and I'll show you 50 people being underpaid and worthy of higher stations. In other words, as in all sets of society, the creme rises to the top (Running such places) meaning all they have left to lead is those who aren't as good at the job.

Anyways, you won't get a call center full of 'good ones' just like you won't get any company full of 'good employees'. Statistically impossible.

To add to this, if it's my life on the line the only thing I care about is getting the job done. I don't care if you are cussing me and saying I don't matter, as long as you are getting the cops there. Sure, I'm stupid for taking him back and thinking breaking up with him wouldn't make him snap. Yep, I'm dumb. You are so right. And there is the cops, so good job! I'd take that much better than Ms. Nice who is oh so concerned for my well being but is shaking because some one she doesn't know but cares about (in that we are all brothers and sisters way) is being attacked and she can't hit the buttons, frozen in fear she is.

When it comes to a job, even a Doctor, give me production. I don't need nice. (It's a good bonus, but never truly neccassary. Get the job done).

In this case, the Operator was neither nice nor good at the job. Obviously not a professional. Please, don't think I mean to say I'd take that shmuck for any job. Just insisting that caring and niceness, while nice, are not needed if the person is professional.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You have to be kidding. Ther is a big diffeence between a operaotr at JC Pennys being upset about a cusotmer and saying something about the customer when the telephone is put down, as compared to some jerk emergemcy operaotr saying they dont give a # about some poor woman being threeatened with a knife. No wonder this world is in such bad shape. People like that operator and the supervosor who didnt really give a damn about the caller. And Im sorry, but people like yourself who minimize something as horrible as this. No operaotr is ever trrained to not give a crap about someone in a situation where they can possilbly be murdered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join