It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: I quit golf over Iraq War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Bush: I quit golf over Iraq War

afp.google.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President George W. Bush said in an interview out Tuesday that he quit playing golf in 2003 out of respect for the families of US soldiers killed in the conflict in Iraq, now in its sixth year.

"I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal," he said in an interview for Yahoo! News and Politico magazine.

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander-in-chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow, just wow. I'd like to say this is shocking, but really, does anyone expect anything more?

Thank you Mr. President, for finding it in your heart to quit playing golf in order to look somber when you hear one of your numbers has been killed defending your oil.

afp.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Playing golf might be an affront but fishing is OK?

www.usatoday.com...

I don't think anyone begrudges the president any recreation but trying to make political capital out of self denial is in such poor taste!

What hypocrisy!!

[edit on 13-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Insanity. The man has truly lost his last buisquit. But he does do every golfer behind him a great service. Just when I think I've heard it all.....

sp: atrosious tonite.

[edit on 5/14/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The Manchurian Candidate who stole the presidency.

He's whacked- an embarassment to the world.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
He should quit going to that ranch of his, talking like a moron, and saying stupid things out of respect for his whole entire country. On second thought, maybe he should just be isolated on a island like Napolean was.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
B.F.D....He quit golfing.

But yet he's still dancing around, singing dittys, making jokes about his popularity on Let's make a deal and wearing that sh** eating grin while flipping this nation the bird daily.

As if he give two turds about all of the tens of thousands of deaths he's responsible for. America is no longer buying your BS, Pinnochio Decider.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Cheney. 'So?' He sucked anyway. Where's my 30 odd 30. It has all just become so surreal.

[edit on 5/13/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wow, can you believe the gaul of this guy? It’s like he thinks that he’s made some great sacrifice of something. What a laugh!! So now, instead of golf, I guess that he’s spent that time figuring out where his Presidential library is supposed to be built. Get the Kleenex out everyone!!!
When did become OK, in this day and age, to let such a huge thing like an active, overt war, to the next President?
Another thing that no one seems to put together is the WW11 took five years to come to an end. What in the hell are we still doing in Sandland some seven years later with no clear direction or progress??
Well, at least the Bush family won’t be at the helm much longer, unless………

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Very surreal, indeed. It's like all these guys think they're on "Star Search" and fighting it out for Best Comedian. I think the Shrub just took the lead with this one-liner... and who better than McCain to take over after this garbage spewer... it's one joke after another with that old, cracked wind-bag. What a joke we must truly be to the rest of the world, to continue with this kind of "leadership" for this long

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'd have much rather he gave up his empire building out of respect for the mothers, and kept playing golf.

It seems he got it backwards.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
All I can figure is he's riding a Bush high after his daugthers wedding. The only place his approval rating would not be 23%. And he is tallying his losses. Golf, little girl, etc.
Still would have liked to see Cheney and Rummy do the funky chicken.
I digress.
You betcha wolf. Seven years of 'ratpatrol' no clear ending in sight. VERY well said.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
What a sacrifice! We are even-Steven now! Eye for an eye! Hey it's a clean slate now... just don't do it again you bugger. No hard feelings though

Can you give up playing badminton with bombs, and bumper cars with tanks, as well? I might take offense seeing you at the County Fair playing any of those games... Thanks in advance you oily man.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

"I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal," he said in an interview for Yahoo! News and Politico magazine.

Oh, Really? Did you have to watch this to figure that out or did one of your thinkers have to beat it into you?

I really don't like this guy.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I wonder if this altruistic action on his part is due to the Putt-Putt golf course near his ranch shutting down, another victim of the economy.

I would prefer him to stop spending tax dollars for a day or two.

Would rather see the headline 'Bush quits Iraq over golf'.

Edit: sp

[edit on 5/14/2008 by roadgravel]

[edit on 5/14/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
LOL...Looks like even beyond how pathetic this latest "sacrifice" supposedly was for for the Decider, was the fact that it wasn't even true.. Nice try Pinnochio...

Bush’s golf story ‘doesn’t hold water.’

In an interview with Politico’s Mike Allen, President Bush claimed he gave up golf after UN envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello was killed in Iraq. “I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad…I was playing golf — I think I was in central Texas — and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it’s just not worth it anymore to do,” Bush said. De Mello was killed on Aug. 19, 2003. The Washington Post’s Dan Froomkin reports today: “Bush’s story doesn’t hold water“:

[T]he Associated Press reported on Oct. 13, 2003, that he’d spent a “cool, breezy Columbus Day” playing “a round of golf with three long-time buddies."

Full Article:
thinkprogress.org...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Jesus...

Just when you think the hole couldn't possibly be dug deeper.

The whole golf sacrifice was absurd to begin with of course... but the fact that he doesn't think he even owes it to the People to follow through with that one small promise...

What an inspiration.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
LMAO

Oh that is just so touching. It warms my heart to know that my President gave up golf, because of the Iraq war. Thank you Mr. President for doing your part.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
OMG! Did anybody catch Keith Olberman's rant about this tonight?!? If you didn't, make sure you see the later show, or DVR it. It was beyond priceless. I don't think I've ever seen Olberman that pissed off before. He shreds Bush into confetti.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

What a selfless act. Good for him! Too bad golf is the least of this country's worries. Our soldiers are dying by the hundreds for terrible reasons and this man gives up golf?

Are you #ing kidding me?

He is an absolute joke. If anyone takes this guy seriously they might as well shoot themselves in the face now.

Thanks Bush for destroying American credibility around the world. That's one thing you're great at. Oh and the American economy. Oh and American lives. Oh and American life in general.

Douche bag.

[edit on 5/14/2008 by biggie smalls]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join