It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush will consider gas tax holiday & says we need to drill for more oil and build more refineries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Bush says we need to drill here in America and build more refineries. He also says he will consider a gas tax holiday. I'm wondering if he is just saying this knowing he's almost out of the White House? Here's where you can watch the interview with the President and Michael Calderone.
Bush Interview

"So my answer to Steven is that the best thing we can do is to increase supply, and to drill for oil and gas in environmentally friendly ways at home, and build more refineries. Steven probably doesn't know this, but we haven't built a new refinery since 1976, and if we're truly interested in relieving the pressure on our consumers, then we ought to have a very active domestic policy now."

Source

I would like to know if anyone wants us to drill where we can and build more refineries? Will this pollute our nation and the world more, or can we do it in a environmentally way?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
We will either exploit our own resources, including coal, which can also be turned into liquid fuel or we will remain dependent on foreign oil.

The alternative fuels that have been touted as replacements for oil just have not delivered, although I do suppose that eventually we will have to make do with energy sources other than petroleum eventually.

I am just amazed at how quickly ethanol turned from being the renewable fuel source of the future to being the cause of global food shortages.

No nuclear power plants have been built since the Three Mile Island event.

Green Liberals don't want wind farms in their backyards.

Solar works, but only as an adjunct to the power grid which is either run by nuclear power or coal or a combination of both.

[edit on 2008/5/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thanks for your post GradyPhilpott, and very well said. I'd like to see us get off of depending on oil and find better ways and technology. Nuclear is clean but dangerous. Electric cars are good but exspensive and would definetly overload the system when everyone plugs their car up to charge. Still I wonder if Bush is even trying to do what he said or if it was just to make him look good. Not much time left and Bush is gone and will someone else do this? We either need oil or something else.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Actually Bush has been saying this all along, but can't get anywhere with the Dems. I am an Independant so I don't care who's is pushing it, just that it seems like a better choice than having to depend and be held ransom by oil rich contries in the middle east. It would also create more jobs. When it comes to nuclear, we should have never stopped progressing in that direction. Look at France and how energy independant they are because of nuclear technology.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eyes2open

With the technology we have today nuclear is safer then back in the old days. Anwarr needs to be drilled and pipes set and refineries built. I think it's getting to where we have no choice but to drill here or go completely the opposite way with nuclear and electric power. Thanks for your reply eyes2open.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
We should have drilled ANWAR 10 years ago .. but the dems wouldn't go for it. We should have wind farms everywhere .. but the dems like the Kennedys won't put them in their backyards. We should be drilling in the gulf ... (like the Chinese and everyone else are) ... but the environuts won't let us.

It's the fault of the far left that we are depended upon foreign oil.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're right about ANWAR.
And what really gets me is it's ok for the middle east to drill for oil, it's ok for mexico to drill for oil, it's ok for most everyone but America? Thanks for your reply Flyersfan.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think i've finally figured out where in terms of the oil crisis we are, so excuse me for being a bit slow - i'm going to state my current thoughts on the matter and hopefully someone will help me catch up if i have indeed been a little slow.

Currently, The Countries of the world have realised the Importance of Earth's Resources, and seeing as no one seems to be able to come up with a reasonable alternative source of propulsion, the Oil Rush has begun.

This is the acceleration process which will decrease the amount of available resources just sitting out there in the world exponentially, correct?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well, I can assure you that a nuclear power plant will be built in Alberta from where I live. Which would be the first one in the western side of Canada.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We're gonna to have to go nuclear.

I remember about 25 years ago when the libs of that period were against the building of nuclear plants. They even marched and held concerts in protest.

Well now, some of these same hippie type folks are still holding concerts, this time talking and singing about global warming and about the need for alternative fuel.

We could've had a 25 year headstart,
but no-o-o-o

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Yes it will be gone one day at the rate we use in up. Maybe America is saving it's reserves for that time.
I know that the United States has the biggest deposit of oil shale in the world but they say it doesn't meet the standards for today's oil. I feel oil is woth more than gold these days. Thanks Anti-Tyrant.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I know what you're saying Alxandro. ANWAR could be up and running right now too. Nuclear is the future unless technology break throughs come along. Here's one, but I don't know if it's a hoax or for real.
Lutec 1000

A lot to read up on that sight but it sounds good to me. Here's a video.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Currently there is enough oil being supplied to meet the demands of the world, and refineries in the US don't even have to run at full production right now due to the fact that they are producing enough for the demands of the US right now! I think they are only running at 80% capacity right now and are supplying enough fuel for the US consumers.

Even the oil companies say they are meeting the demands of the people and that they don't NEED anymore refineries!

I can see drilling more oil wells so that the US becomes less dependent on foreign oil, but this WILL NOT be the answer to bring the price of oil down!

Until the dollar starts rising and speculation is stopped in the Energy Futures Commodities, the prices will remain the same or keep rising.

Until those two things are fixed, oil will still stay at the same current prices even if the US produced more oil and built more refineries!

Remember Bush is an oil man, HE just wants to see these things happen, even though in regards to the price of oil, they are useless, speculators and the failing dollar would just drive the price of that oil up also!

[edit on 6/15/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
McCain Thinks the Same As Bush!

And what if McCain became president?

Well, we'd just keep getting the same things shoved down our throats!

McCain urges end to ban on offshore drilling

Sen. John McCain said Monday the federal moratorium on offshore oil and gas drilling should be lifted, and individual states given the right to pursue energy exploration in waters near their own coasts.

With gasoline prices rising and the United States chronically dependent on foreign oil, the Republican presidential contender said his proposal would "be very helpful in the short term resolving our energy crisis."

*****SKIP*****

The GOP presidential candidate said a recent run-up in the price of oil was having an adverse effect on consumers.

"We've seen the impact of it in the form of food prices, in the form of gasoline, in the form of threats of inflation and indeed indications of inflation, and we must we must embark on a national mission to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil," he told reporters.

It's NOT the reason the price of oil is sooo high!

The reason oil prices are soo high is not due to our dependence on foreign oil!

I can't see electing a man president who won't even acknowledge WHAT is actually causing the price of oil to rise (or maybe doesn't have a clue why!), the failing dollar and speculators, or give a real answer that would work to lower the price of oil!

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join