It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arabs Take Stance Against Honor killing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Arabs Take Stance Against Honor killing

news.bbc.co.uk

A court in Jordan has sentenced a 23-year-old man to 10 years in jail for killing his sister.

The man was initially sentenced to death, but this was commuted to give him the chance to repent.

The court heard that he stabbed his sister 14 times and shot her repeatedly after her former husband accused her of having affairs.

Jordanians convicted of so called "honour killings" have previously been jailed for as little as six months.

Correspondents say the 10-year sentence underlines the authorities' determination to stamp out the crime.

Amnesty International says that last year 17 women were officially recorded as having been killed in "honour crimes" in Jordan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
this is to prove that arab countries are doing something about it now. because every time i hear that honor killers are let go especially in Iraq I get furious, at least Jordan did something about it.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I am glad to see that this murderer is going to prison, but in reality his sentence is quite light compared to the crime he committed. Perhaps he should lose his hands instead of being put in jail for 10 years.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

at least its progress, people like that normally get away with it. ya they just let them go live a happy life without ever paying for it. its crazy maybe this will send those criminals a message.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear that at least something is being done about this.

No-one can pin this down to cultural differences or religious belief, as there is no excuse for this kind of barbarity. Murder is murder and there are no exceptions.

Let's hope other nations catch on ey?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Good news indeed.

I have to wonder if this is due to their personal stance or all the flack they have received in the last few years.

It seems since the war in Iraq started, more of the 'daily culture' in the M.E. has gotten the spotlight and received due attention.

If so, its too bad it takes a war in a foreign country to bring about the attention of what seemingly has occurred for centuries.

Can we really call this progress...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Progress?

I think we need to reevaluate our perspective here - do you reward a kid for not sticking his hand in a blender? Do you reward a dog for not #ting on your carpet? Do you reward someone who managed to get off the dole and get a job? Do you reward a negligent mother for actually cooking dinner for her kid?

Of course not, because these are the things you are SUPPOSED TO DO! We are stuck in a cycle of saying "look, small concessions make up for everything!". This is just a single case in a file of hundreds, thousands, and it's still not good enough!

It's too easy to become jaded regarding it - let's be very clear, they are still not doing it right. You do NOT reward mediocrity!

10 years? Is that it? That psychopath took his own sisters life! She's gone. Forever. He only loses 10 years (and I bet he won't serve it all).

[edit on 14-5-2008 by C.C.Benjamin]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

The STOP HONORCIDE! campaign was launched on Mother's Day 2008. The goal of the campaign is to prosecute honorcides to the fullest extent of the law. We want honorcide to be classified as a hate crime and we advocate for every existing hate crime legislation to be amended to include honorcide.

www.reformislam.org...

new topics

top topics

join