It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 killed, 200 injured as blasts rock India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

60 killed, 200 injured as blasts rock India

www.hindu.com

JAIPUR: Eight serial blasts in a span of 12 minutes rocked the Pink City on Tuesday evening killing at least 60 persons and injuring over 200. The blasts occurred in crowded market areas and near a Hanuman temple in the Walled City.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
# m,an what the hell going on ..........

www.hindu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Damn, I wonder who is claiming for this cowardly act. Pehraps Pakistani militants? Or Sri Lanka nationalists?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Haven't spotted any group laying claim just yet, but I just ran into this...

Indian Police Probe Blasts After 60 Killed in Jaipur (Update1)

Indian police blamed terrorists for blasts that killed as many as 60 people in the northern Indian city of Jaipur yesterday in the nation's deadliest terrorist attack in more than a year.

"It is a terrorist plot, it is obvious,'' said A.S. Gill, director-general of police. Harkut-ul Jihad al Islami, a group based in Bangladesh, is suspected of being behind the attack, state-run broadcaster Doordarshan cited unidentified Home Ministry officials as saying.

``There were totally about eight blasts, and most of them were cycle bombs,'' Janga Sriniwas Rao, inspector-general of police and intelligence, said in Jaipur, about 300 kilometers from New Delhi. ``All went off in a matter of minutes.''

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani condemned the attacks, the Press Trust of India reported.
"Pakistan condemns all acts of terrorism and reaffirms its firm commitment to fight this scourge together with the international community,'' the newswire cited Gilani as saying.

India says its neighbor is harboring Ibrahim, an accusation that Pakistan denies.
Yesterday's blasts were carried out by terrorists with foreign links, Junior Home Minister Jaiswal said in a televised statement. He declined to elaborate.

Terrorist from Pakistan and Bangladesh are collaborating to carry out attacks in India using the Bangladeshi border as a crossing point, A.K. Mitra, director-general of India's Border Security Force, said in December. India handed Bangladesh a list of 141 militants and criminals it wants detained when the countries held security talks in Dhaka last November.

In pictures: Jaipur bombings -- Warning: semi-graphic --

And this seems to note more of the same line of thought...

Jaipur blasts follow Mumbai pattern

NEW DELHI: Tuesday's episode of serial blasts in Jaipur bears a close resemblance to the pattern followed by the suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba militants in Sankatmochan temple attack in Varanasi on March 7, 2006, the 7/11 Mumbai suburban train blasts and the Malegaon blasts on September 8 the same year.

The jehadis' designs were similar not just in the precision timing but also in their motive to inflict large casualties. Jaipur, Mumbai suburban trains and Varanasi serial blasts — in all of these, the terrorists had planted seven bombs and managed to explode all of them except in the case of Sankatmochan blasts in which four bombs were defused.

Curfew imposed in parts of Jaipur; death toll 80

"As a precautionary measure we have decided to impose a curfew from 9 am to 6 pm in parts of the city", G C Kataria, Rajasthan's home minister. told IANS.

The medium intensity explosions, the first major terror attack since the serial blasts in Uttar Pradesh in November last year, threw life out of gear in Jaipur and prompted a nation-wide alert to be sounded. Anti-riot police were deployed in some of the crowded areas of the famous 'pink city' to thwart any possible retaliation or riots, and the entire walled city area where the blasts occurred was cordoned off.

Seems something *major* happening somewhere on an almost daily basis now. Makes one consider that the U.S. is well overdue... especially after this Administrations' foreign policies over the last 7 years.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Great find, RabbitChaser! I'll have to dig info about the group responsible. This will be interesting to watch and see the long-term impact of India's political actions.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Its mostly Pak-based islamic militants groups in concert with afghan militants who cannot operate much in Afghanistan due to military pressure there.
Pakistan(read ISI, Army, Mushy boy etc.. ) is diverting the pent up energy of these militants who cant seem to do too much damage in Hellmand et al.

I think India should call for a international UN mandated coalition to go in to Pakistan and clean out this mess, for all islamic terrorists bred there, once and for all.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
i doubt that will solve the problem. it will probably only increase resentment of the powers (US, NATO, India... ect) and could infact lead to more killing.

you can't fight fire with fire!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The fact that this Indian article immediately jumps the gun and blames Pakistan does not surprise me at all.

Pakistan is rocked by a terrorist attack nearly every other day. Half of them don't make the news. They are just as concerned about the Islamic Fundamentalists and radicals operating within in their own borders.
These guys actually have a voice inside Pakistan's political process and they're gaining a lot of support too, that's the scary part.

Pakistan suffers way more from terrorism. Their tribal areas like Waziristan are not even under their authority anymore, this matter is completely beyond their control, they don't decide when and how the Taliban attacks civilians.

Don't be so narrow-minded and hawkish people. Invading Pakistan?
Lol... that's a new one, I don't hear too many Republicans backing that just yet.
Pakistan has been a US ally in combating militants in Afghanistan for years now, where do you think all the Intel America needs on the Afghanis comes from?

I would wait till the conclusive facts are in, rather than assuming Pakistan is at fault.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
The fact that this Indian article immediately jumps the gun and blames Pakistan does not surprise me at all.

Pakistan is rocked by a terrorist attack nearly every other day. Half of them don't make the news. They are just as concerned about the Islamic Fundamentalists and radicals operating within in their own borders.
These guys actually have a voice inside Pakistan's political process and they're gaining a lot of support too, that's the scary part.

Pakistan suffers way more from terrorism. Their tribal areas like Waziristan are not even under their authority anymore, this matter is completely beyond their control, they don't decide when and how the Taliban attacks civilians.

Don't be so narrow-minded and hawkish people. Invading Pakistan?
Lol... that's a new one, I don't hear too many Republicans backing that just yet.
Pakistan has been a US ally in combating militants in Afghanistan for years now, where do you think all the Intel America needs on the Afghanis comes from?

You should take some time out to investigate how much of this 'terrorism' Pakistan has cultivated and bred since the late 80s. Just because they are unable to control the monstrosity that they conceived and nurtured, they cannot shirk responsibility of starting it all.
Its not invading Pakistan. Thats what the west did in Iraq. Its going into Pakistan under a UN mandate, to remove these extremist elements once and for all. Will do a whole lot of good for everyone including Pakistan in the long run.
Let the UN force be from Islamic countries, or 'neutral' countries like China, Russia etc.

I would wait till the conclusive facts are in, rather than assuming Pakistan is at fault.

What conclusive facts do you expect to unearth?
1)Uncontrolled elements beyond the powers of Pakistan are to blame?
2)Elements that operate with sovereign Pakistani soil unchallenged?

What good does that do anyone? Its an extremely convenient excuse that FYI Pakistan has been using for the better part of the last 2 decades, BEFORE
9/11 et al.

I)If a nation is unable to govern its own territories the it is a failed state; however it still has the right to rectify the situation as long as the adverse effects are contained within its borders.

II)If a nation is unable to control activities on its soil that adversely affect other nation states, then it NEEDS external help, whether it admits it or not.

III)And if it DOES control these activities then it is conducting a proxy war and it needs to reprimanded anyways.

Simple. No real area for doubt and ambiguity here.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I barely even found out about this.

It's funny how if this happened in the west, the whole world would go CRAZY about it. But when it happenes in some other country, people don't seem to care. What does that mean?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Trust me, nothing will happen of this, India will take no action, just bitch and moan a lot..
While the crackers in the U.S. will ignore it or occasionally make condescending remarks...
bah...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

top topics

join