It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is childish superstition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WraothAscendant

Yes, since no evidence of santa, zeus, odin etc exists it is very illogical to go around believing they do exist. And i feel it is the same with god.

I do not contradict myself;

1) I say it is illogical to believe in god if one has no reason to believe god exists.

2) Then i said that i dont get WHY people believe, when there realy is no reason to believe god exists. It would be be logical to believe in the existance if there were reasons to believe. But the reasons are purely human, and not based on any evidence. So 1 and 2 means the same, they dont contradict.

If i had said
1a) it is illogical to believe when you have found NO reason to. And then:
2a) it is illogical to believe when you HAVE reason to believe. that is contractiction. right? (im tired now)

3) The reason my headline differs from the headline in that link is because i originaly read the news on another site, (norwegian) witch i translated. i just found another site in english that had a different way of putting it, and i figured people here prefers english over norwegian.

4) I do not say there isnt a higher power (we cant prove or disprove it), i simply say that it is not logical to go around believing in the existance, (since we cant prove or disprove it.)

It is most logical to not believe since we cant see, hear, measure etc it anywhere. If it is logical to believe in god, then it is also logical to believe in anything else unseen, unheard, unmeasurable etc. (santa, odin, zeus etc)

They say god exists,
I say we cant prove it or disprove it,
but since god cant be seen, heard, measured or anything like that, it is most logical to not believe. (even though god might actually exist)

Phew, did i get it all?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Oh yes I can when someone makes a claim.
Which she is doing.
I find it extremely funny when people think their beliefs are the only ones exempt from proving. And more than a little showing when someone takes that stance.
Your beliefs are more than fine and who knows maybe correct.
But name calling someone for not having any proof without any proof yourself, well you can guess. But you justify that with the fact you think your right as anyone does about their beliefs.

reply to post by Daniem

No contradiction?
You said this earlier:

1) My statement, that it is most logical to not be theist when i have found no reason to believe there is a god does NOT mean it is illogical to believe in god. However is would be illogical to believe in god if you have found no reason to believe god exists.

I underlined the relevant part.
NOW your saying:

1) I say it is illogical to believe in god if one has no reason to believe god exists.

And:

i simply say that it is not logical to go around believing in the existance, (since we cant prove or disprove it.)

Not logical = illogical, regardless how bad you want to hide in different spellings.

Not to forget the fact millions of people disagree with you and see plenty of reasons. Doesn't matter if you agree with those reasons. You are limited to your perception of the world. Unless you think your somehow exempt from that unlike the rest of us. Which I would then have to ask for proof of that.

And no not all or most scientists are atheist regardless how much you want to believe that.

You say you don't think it's illogical to believe then you say it's illogical to believe. Contradiction my friend and no attempt to cover or distort that is going to work. Your argument is inherently flawed.

3) The reason my headline differs from the headline in that link is because i originaly read the news on another site, (norwegian) witch i translated. i just found another site in english that had a different way of putting it, and i figured people here prefers english over norwegian.

What is the link to the news item on Norwegian site?
Because frankly and no honest offense meant but this smells of smoke screen.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WraothAscendant

The headline says - Religion is childish superstition, it is from one of norways biggest newspapers. www.dagbladet.no...

I dont understand why you believe scientists arent atheists. Its what we learn in school. Here is a link showing some results from USA. This is just USA, in others parts of the world it is surtainly more ahteistic scientists. A true scientist only works with evidence, but would never say for surtain that god does not exist. But since there is no evidence they logicaly tend to reject god for that reason.
www.stephenjaygould.org...

You dont seem to understand. I`ll say it one more time.
I never said "It is illogical to believe in god it is logical to believe in god." I have written something more, before or after. I`ll show you:

1a) I say it is logical to believe in god IF WE HAVE FOUND REASONS TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS.

1b) It is therefore illogical to believe in god WHEN WE HAVE FOUND NO REASON TO BELIVE GOD EXISTS.

2a) It is logical to not believe in god IF WE HAVE FOUND NO REASON TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS.

2b)
It is therefore illogical to not believe in god IF WE HAVE FOUND REASONS TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS

Now we already know that there isnt any evidence to give reason for gods existance. read 1b and 2a now.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
post deleted by garyo1954

[edit on 17-5-2008 by garyo1954]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Belief in a Christian God is childish.

As long as the Christian faith hangs onto the idea that they are an exclusive path to heaven they will always be childish.

How can Christians' explain all those who lived before Jesus, or never have an opportunity to 'know Jesus'? Sorry but John 14:6 lost my faith forever (when I put the question to my christian school guidance counsellor he pointed to the roof and told me that was 'for him upstairs to decide'). Even at the age of 15 I felt that answer was a bit childish.

These days people are taught to question and the Christian belief doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, and the bearded man in the sky is dies a natural death in the minds of educated folk.

That is the kind of childish unquestioning faith that Einstein was referring to in his letter.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
this site has some of the most evangelical athiests i have ever come across, constantly ranting on and on about why god doesn't exist and trying to set their own empirical tests upon something that has zero got to do with impirical tests.

will you people not listen, people who believe in god believe in god because they feel his presance, you can't proove the illuminaty, aliens or bigfoot exist either but a lot of you still believe, if not, what in the heck are you doing on ats.

get over it already.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join