It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

47 new christian manuscripts found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Daniel B Wallace the executive director at the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts sent a tema to Tirana last Juse to Photograph ancient manuscrpits in its National Archive.

Only two of the scriptures where seen before. This is the biggest find of manuscripts discovered in a long time. In a year maybe two or three are found.

The question will this scripturest shape any textual discussions?

Word for word in Christianitytoday
What surprised us most was that three of the manuscripts completely lacked the story of the woman caught in adultery (John 7:58 - 8:11, a passage that many biblical scholars believe was not originally in John's Gospel, which may aggect its canonicity see christianitytoday.com/go/pericope

I think to take pictures of all the manuscripts is a worthy case for christians. I would wundering if anyone knows more information about the new ones and if there is anymore differences in them.

What I notice is that this new ones found i read that there older than most of the manuscripts we have. and that they found 48 new ones. then they said that 3 lacked the story of of the woman cought in adultery. So that means 45 has the story in them. I dont think this means that the story should be taken out of the bible. Anyone else have more info???

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

The interview can be found here:

www.christianitytoday.com...
The "he is without sin" passage has always been contentious, so this will certainly add fuel to that debate. The earliest fragments of John we have go back to 200 A.D., with the full text going back to 300 A.D. These 6th century Albanian texts are intriguing, but still a bit older than the earliest manuscripts we have.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm atheist but not of the Abrahamic Faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I'm not a scientific/medical/legal expert in any field.

Explanation: N/A

Personal Disclosure : Its the 1st I have heard of it so thanks for the "Heads Up" information. Thread Flagged. Well done!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

Thanks for the info.

Some believe the passage in question may have been removed by overzealous scribes afraid it might give license to immorality.

Whatever the pedigree of the the passage, the content is so wonderfully in keeping with the character and message of Christ that I reckon few Christians - straight-forward disciples or scholars - doubt that it records an authentic incident.

I find it one of the most moving passages in Scripture. And humbling:

He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.

Gospel of John 8:7b

The only person who had the right to do that refused. Then shortly afterwards gave his life so she could be forgiven.

Amazing grace!

top topics

join