It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modular Handgun System for US Military?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here we go again...

Special Operation Forces Combat Pistol (SOF-CP) and Future Handgun System (FHS) merged into Joint Combat Psitol (JCP), then unmerged back to CP, that got indefinitely postponed... the AFH/Air Force Handgun got shot down... the AFFH/Air Force Future Handgun got shot down... now we have the modular handgun system. May go nowhere too, but may give us an idea where they want to go. Eventually.

10--Modular Handgun System
Solicitation Number: W52H0928APR08MHS
Agency: Department of the Army
Office: U. S. Army Materiel Command
Location: U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command - Rock Island

The Program Manager for Soldier Weapons (PM-SW) , on behalf of the US Air Force, has a requirement for a nondevelopmental handgun. This effort will be conducted in three phases consisting of a Competitive Down-selection Phase, System Development & Demonstration (SDD) Phase, and a Full Rate Production (FRP) Phase. This Sources Sought Notice does not reflect a complete listing of all requirements for a Modular Handgun System.
---
Basically they are looking for a full and compact pistol w a rail, adjustable grip, and manual safety that makes a bigger wound channel than 9mm M882 FMJ.

Caliber, capacity, action type to be specified later.

Last year the US congress directed everybody get together on another joint project in fact if not name. While this is through the Army for the Air Force, is probably another shot at that.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So, basically they just want a more powerful handgun, right? That seems like a kinda off the wall concern right now for the military. Considering that not alot of people carry around handguns in the military. The 1911 Colt45 has lots of stopping power. Alot more then the glocks they use.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
USMC-oorah

With a name like that, I can only assume you're either currently serving or a past Marine. If that's corect, I thank you whole heartedly for your service and I hope you hear that often. You deserve it. I would have been right there beside you in serving, but at that time, those with asthma weren't exactly what the military is looking for.

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
So, basically they just want a more powerful handgun, right? That seems like a kinda off the wall concern right now for the military.

You said, "For the military.", but this is only the Air Force as far as I can tell. "right now", Yeah, there may be other things that they could have their minds on at the moment, but I couldn't ever find them at fault for wanting their soldiers/pilots who are actually out there doing the fighting to have better weapons to get their job done than what they currently have. What they have now may be good, but better is, and always will be, well, better.

Considering that not alot of people carry around handguns in the military.

In the Air Force, I would imagine not. Usually, bases are in secured locations.
You're USMC, so I guess things are different, but if I was there, I would do everything in my power to carry two, be it if the military gave them to me or if I had to get them on my own.
Hell, I see cops around town carrying two of them, one on the hip, and one in a leg holster. (And probably more elsewhere.)

It's a back-up weapon if your main weapon fails. (The main weapon when it comes to the AF pilots being their Aircraft.)
If something goes wrong, they need something and it should be the best that they could have.
You say not a lot of people carry one, and rightly so as not everyone needs one, but those who are on the line fighting should definitely have the best tools provided to them to complete the job that has been assigned to them.

The 1911 Colt45 has lots of stopping power. Alot more then the glocks they use.

That it does, and I'm assuming that the Glocks you are refering to are the 9mm variety. There are Glocks that are chambered in .45ACP. Is there anything keeping those who use the 9mm from getting their own .45?
Like I said, I have never served, so I don't know the rules and I'm just asking.

Also, the 1911 Colt .45 has been around for quite a while now. Is it the best hand-gun there will ever be?, or is there still room for further improvement, not necesarily the design, but in the concept?
I think that no matter what, there's always, room for improvement in anything.

"Until you've heard absolutely everyones thoughts on something, you'll never know everything about it and unless you talk to each and every person on this earth, that is something that will never happen."
Myself.

It's my own quote, so take it for what you will, but I believe it to be true. Great ideas often come from those we don't expect it from.

Look everywhere when looking for answers.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I guess I kinda broadened the spectrum with the whole "for the military" thing. I could see with the Air Force wanting to do that, definatly. I was kinda thinking with the grunts, on patrol, kinda way. To where if your caught in a firefight nine times out of ten you'll just use your rifle and have no time for reaching a sidearm. Pilots are a different story though. Usually packing a very light load, and at very close range when having to actually use a pistol. I know that the colt 45 doesn't really have alot of velocity behind it compared to other guns that it faced, such as the luger. So, your right anything can be improved. I guess I was just thinking the infantry way lol

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenArrow

Can you post the source of your information? Thanks!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I posted the source of the information; I guess you mean a link to it?

www.fbo.gov...

aais.ria.army.mil...

While this is through the Army on behalf of the Air Force, everybody has their eyen on it cuzz everybody could end up w it. There are more security forces, investigators, and air crew members carrying pistols in the USAF than pilots BTW.

Somebody is carrying and/or using up a lot of pistols. The US military bought about 400,000 M9 pistols from 1985 - 2005, have contracted for about 100,000 more M9s from 2005 through 2010.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by BrokenArrow]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenArrow

Muchas gracias!

new topics

top topics

join