It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Struggle of the lesbos island!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Did anyone here about the dispute the lesbos island started. The word lesbian refers to gay girls if you didn't already know. So lesbians are sometimes called lesbos. The island of lesbos is sueing the U.S. or taking the U.S. to court. I forget which one. The island wants the U.S. to ban the use of the word lesbians when reffering to a gay lady. The island says that the name is giving the island of lesbos a bad name. They say people will think the island is where lesbians go or that the island was named after lesbians.

What is your input on the situation.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
No never heard of it, until now!

Where is this Island located?
...just curious!

Could you link me to something about this?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Not sure what they hope to accomplish.

The term dates back a loooong, loooong time. From Roman times unless I'm badly mistaken...

I can't remember the name of the greek writer, a woman by the way, who was home on Lesbos; it's her fault, sue her ancestors...lol.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I heard about this a couple weeks ago on 105.7 The Point. I will try to find some website or something on it.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The island is in the northeastern Aegean Sea.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitesatan
So lesbians are sometimes called lesbos.

I believe the island is pronounced "Lez-boss" and the potentially derogatory term for a lesbian is "Lez-bo" / "Lez-boes". No issue on that front.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The pronoucing is the same though.

The island just doesn't want people to think the island was named after a gay girl.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It is pronounced Lesvos but spelled lesbos. Do some research before you put something abouthow something is pronounced. LOL The spelling is the same and that is what they see the problem to be.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Powers...of...self...controll...failing...must...not...rip...on...Givenmay...for...too...easy...of...a...mark...oh god!

...just curious!

Run away! run away! (in distance) LMAO! OMG! (pounds fist on desk) OH GOOD LORD!

The rest of my post will be about this subject I swear, once I wipe the tears from my eyes.

Sorry bout that I really couldnt help myself. The thing is that they pronounce it different than the term lesbiens. I would think that they could use it as an advantage for tourism.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitesatan
It is pronounced Lesvos but spelled lesbos. Do some research before you put something abouthow something is pronounced. LOL The spelling is the same and that is what they see the problem to be.

Actually it can be pronounced either way: The Free Dictionary.

The link also provides an audio based pronunciation for the Island, depending on whether you have an American or British accent the pronunciation varies some what.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You could think that but they feel differently about it. They have the power to say whatever they feel is true because the word lesbian originated from the word lesbos according to them.

I personally see no problem because no one has heard of the island of lesbos until this topic came up. So if anyone relates gay ladies to the island of lesbos. It is because the island forced it upon theirselves.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
my bad on the pronunciation.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I have heard of the Island of Lesbos and I am pretty sure that it is where the name lesbians did come from. Unless I was misinformed.

edited to add: It DID originate from the Island of Lesbos. The poet Sappho who wrote love poems to other women lived there. You can read about it here.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
snowflake_obsidian thanks for the info. It helps out a lot. The island just doesn't want to be known as the gay women island. I wouldn't want to be known as a gay island either. The island just wants clerification on the name and its meaning. They don't want to be misjudged.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I still think they could use this misunderstanding to their economic benifit. Why fight it? Embrace it and make a killing in the tourist game! Same sex unions, flannel clothing with the islands name on it, Birkenstocks. The whole 9 yards! I think they are letting their prejudice ruin a perfectly good marketing opertunity to make a lot of money.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
In their defense they are probably just a small island that many people have not heard off. I think that is the way to keep it. They want to be a small island that is small and stays small. I don't think the island really wants publicity because many people have never heard off the island until know.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sometime, somewhere in Lesbos, two women got together

and had one hell of a party. I think one thing led to another and soon they were one.

That is not our fault, now, is it?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whitesatan

FYI, Lesbos has for at least three decacades (possibly more) been a wellknown charter destinatian for North Europeans.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It may not be our fault but the Island is the one sueing here. They can make it look like our fault.

Just a reminder, the island only wants clarification of the name lesbian which they believe refers to the name lesbos.

Ok so maybe many north Europeans know about this island. That doesn't change the fact that Most of North America hasn't heard of it before know.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
My guess would be it's a promotion effort aimed at the American market.

It really is a nice holiday island.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join