It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Your Favorite Summer Recipe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Summer is almost here. I love summer foods. We have lots of outdoor gatherings, and love to grill. I would love to hear what your favorite summer recipe is......ideas for the grill, summer salads, desserts and sides that are good for cookouts, also those yummy cocktails. I'm always looking for something new.

One of my fave side salads is a very simple pasta salad. Boil tri-color pasta then run under water to cool. Cut up and add your fave vegetables. Mine are cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes and green peppers. I also like to add boiled egg. Then just add italian dressing and your done. Easy.

To jazz up your meat on the grill add a little Dale's seasoning. It's great on everything.

Anyway, post your faves if you have any.

Rush

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My fave summer foods are very basic.

Boiled corn on the cob, or grilled corn on the cob
A simple pasta salad like the one you mentioned, but with occassional variations, add some tuna or salmon, use a bit of mayo.. that sort of thing
basic potato salad too... potatoes, pickles, mayo and salt & pepper to taste.

This is one of my favorite "desserts" for the summer.. Make it in advance, keep it chilled, it's ready to eat anytime.

Some people call it Ambrosia, others call it creamy fruit salad...

1 (large) can fruit cocktail mix in either heavy or light syrup (your choice)
1 can nestle's table cream
1 can condensed milk

mix it all up in a bowl, and chill. When ready to serve you can add additional freshly cut fruit such as berries, mangoes, whatever you have available... mmm so goood.. I might go make some today.

edit to add: either 2 regular size cans of the fruit cocktail or one of the larger cans.

[edit on 5-17-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hi worldwatcher and thanks for posting. I love Ambrosia, I haven't had it in forever, and never made it myself. I didn't realize that it was so easy so I will make it for our first cookout, my nephew's h.s. graduation.

Man, I love corn on the cob. Oooh, and fresh green beans that cook all day.

Here's a very easy Lemon Cream Sauce if interested:

1 8 oz. tub of whipped cream
3 sm. tubs of lemon burst yogurt (yoplait, I think)
1 lg. box of vanilla pudding mix

Add 1/2 of the milk called for to the pudding mix. Whisk
Add the yogurt. Whisk together
Fold in the whipped cream

Chill for a little bit. I like it on top of Angel Food cake, garnish with raspberries, blueberries or strawberries.

Rush

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Fresh fruit salad or a warm summer's evening is just great. Can't beat that refreshing feeling.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Beef taco's in a crispy shell, washed down by ice cold Tecate or Cruz Blanca.

Side of Guacamole with Salt and Vinegar chips.

Some Beans

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yum! You guys are making me hungry. I'll take my taco in a soft shell with a Corona w/ lime.

My favorite summer fruit has to be watermelon and fresh nectarines. We had two cherry trees growing up that provided all the cherries for pies, cobblers, whatever in the neighborhood. One year we lost half of one to a storm and the entire neighborhood showed up to help pick. Man, we ate good that summer.

I'm from Indiana so I am, of course, looking forward to Indiana grown corn on the cob drenched in butter. Oh boy.

Thanks for posting Peace and whaaa.

Rush

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The man-catcher dish.

Homemade Fried chicken.
Cornbread muffins (with real corn).
Mouthwatering Mac N Cheese.
Collard Greens with bacon.
And either Sweet potatoe pie or peach cobbler.
Sweet tea to drink of course.

It always works, for catchin a man or having a wonderful summer dinner.

Everything must be homemade or you might catch the wrong man.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Southern Living Recipe for mac n cheese, fried homegrown yellow squash, sliced homegrown tomatoes with sugar on top all from my son's garden. I have had this meal at least a dozen times in the past month. If you want to make the best mac n cheese, here goes:

melt 1/2 stick real butter, add about 2 tablesppons flour and stir and cook a minute or so. add about 2-1/4 cups milk. stir a minute or two. add 1 pound (16 oz.) grated cheddar cheese, remove from heat, stir a few times. Pour over cooked macaroni that is salt and peppered, the smaller package. It will seem like it is too much milk but don't worry, it will be perfect. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hi PixelMePretty and Bombeni, thanks for posting. Great ideas! You can NEVER go wrong with great southern home cooking, and yes, that is definitely the way to a man's heart through his tummy. Yum. And now I'm dying for some mac n cheese (I wonder why) and that recipe sounds so easy, so I'm going to try it. I'm not the best at fried chicken, but I did it last week and my husband loved it so I must have done something right.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Rush

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My favorite summer recipe is bbq'd quesadillas. So easy to make and sooo yum! I use ground meats....beef, chicken or pork, whatever I have or feel like. Fry it up, pour in some salsa and simmer until reduced.Add a bit of green pepper and fresh tomatoes chopped up. Throw that on a tortilla and top with grated cheese and green onions. Top with another tortilla and on the bbq it goes for a few mins per side. Cut each quesadilla into four and serve it with more salsa and sour cream and it's sooo good. (although everytime I get heartburn its something I can't turn down)

Michelle

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
One of the specials we cook at my restaurant is grilled corn, which is then removed from the cob. This then goes into a saute pan with some chopped vine tomatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper. When it is nearly done I add a little cream and toss in some penne and garnish with chopped curly parsley. Simple dish with nice summer flavors.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm loving all of these ideas.

reply to post by Michelle129

Hi Michelle. That sounds so yummy and the kids will love this. One question, is it hard to turn it over without the stuff falling out? We will try it.

reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Hi Augustus. And a question for you. My husband tried to grill corn on the cob a couple of days ago, it tasted ok but it was way overcooked and the husks got all burnt. Do you have any suggestions?

Rush

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

I have done it one of two ways that work. The first is to make sure to spread the cheese out to the sides so it's stuck together when you're ready to flip. But an easier solution is to only use one tortilla, put the filling on half and fold over. It makes it more stable and smaller to fit on the spatula. And I agree your kids will love it, mine can't get enough of them and they can be kind of picky. I usually split the ground meat in half...use a mild salsa for theirs and use spicy for my husband's and mine. And the best part of that recipe is you can make it with your own variations and it's still very good! I've also done them in the oven when it's too cold or wet to bbq, but the bbq seems to add something to it and when it's hot out I hate using the stove or oven. Something to add too, I usually spray the tortilla or grill lightly with cooking spray because they sometimes stick

Michelle

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Thanks for the tips Michelle. We love to camp and this would be a great thing to make on the grill we take with the camper. I could even make the beef mixture ahead of time.

Rush

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

I actually do not cook mine with the husk on at the restaurant, at home I do but the grill I have at work is much better.

I start by rubbing the corn with olive oil and a sprinkling with a little salt and pepper, I place them on a medium-high grill and turn them every minute or so until they are slightly charred in only a few places. You do not need to cook it all the way as it will be going into a saute pan to finish. For us we also want a very little crunch to the kernels as it adds texture and another layer of sense to the dish.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
My new favorite summer recipe is my own invention of:

Fillet of Beef with Broad Bean Puree, Grilled Asparagus, New Potatoes and a Tomato & Red Wine Sauce.

It makes use of the early summer ingredients, and tastes nice...well, you cant go wrong with a fillet of beef!!

Ingredients (serves 2):

2 Fillet Steaks, from near the tail end, cut about 1&1/2 inch thick.
Handful asparagus, bases trimmed
1&1/4 pounds broad beans (weight inc pods)
couple of handfulls of new potatoes.
Olive Oil
Dijon Mustard
Salt, pepper

For the sauce:
4 medium sized shallots
2 large cloves garlic
A couple of rosemary sprigs, leaves on.
3/4 pound fleshy tomatoes (peeled and seeds removed)
1/2 pint beef stock
1/2 pint red wine
20ml (2 desert spoons) balsamic vinegar

Peel & finely chop the shallots and garlic. add to a pan with a little olive oil, and sweat over a low heat without browning.
Meanwhile score a cross into the tomoatoes and put them in a pan of boiling water for about 30 seconds, remove from the pan and wrap in cling film, this will make them easy to peel. Peel and de-seed the tomatoes, then roughly chop.
Once the shallots and garlic have softened, turn the heat to high, add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook until most of the liquid had gone. add your wine, beef stock and rosemary and leave to reduce. Once reduced to a thick consistency, remove and discard the rosemary and transfer the sauce to a blender/food proccessor. Whizz it until you have a smooth puree.
Take a fresh pan and strain the puree through a muslin into the new pan. If the resulting sauce is too thin, reduce it until you're happy with the consistency, or thicken it with a bit of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

For the Asparagus:

Trim and wash the apsaragus, and put in a pan of boiling water for a couple of minutes, remove from the pan and immersein cold water to stop them going soggy. Once cooled, pat them dry and store in the fridge for later.

For the Potatoes:

Peel and slice thinly, arrange in overlapping rows on a baking tray, brush them with some dijon mustard and olive oil, seanson with salt & pepper and cook until golden brown in a hot oven.

For the broad beans:

Remove the beans from their pods and boil for 4-5mins, drain and allow to cool a bit. Remove the beans from their shells (just give them a squeeze and the insides pop out!) and add to a blender or food processor. Add a drizzle of olive oil and whizz to a puree. Leave to one side til later.

Bring it all together:
Once the potatoes look like they're nearly done, add oil to a pan for your steak and bring up to a very high heat. gently reheat your sauce in its own pan. Once your steak pan is smoking season steak with salt & pepper and cook to your liking (i like mine bloody as hell). Remove from the pan a leaveto rest.
While your steaks are resting, seer the asparagus in the steak pan for a couple of minutes, add some of the steak juice that will now be building up to your broad bean puree, stir in a and reheat. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Take the potatoes out of the oven and arange in the middle of the plates. Place the steak on top, and plate up the asparagus and broad bean puree.
Spoon the sauce over in a cheffy fashion, and serve!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Another summer fave: Courgette & Tomato Tart
This recipe is a little more simple than the last one!

Ingredients:
Couple of Corgettes (Zuchini) finley sliced across
Couple of Tomatoes - the sweeter the better
ready made puff pastry
salt & pepper
Olive Oil

Roll out the pastry nice and thin (think fine pasta), to cover a shallow baking tray.
Thinly slice the tomato & courgette (1/8th of an inch, max)
Lay the pastry into a non-stick baking tray, prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork, neatly trim and roll over the edges to make a crust.
Make alternating rows of overlapping tomato and courgette slices on the pastry.
Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Bake at a high heat until it looks cooked (approx 12-15 minutes), sprinkle with basil leaves.

Enjoy hot or cold with a cold glass of rose

(post by SummerGirl1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join