It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Received Anon Warning - my pic on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've posted my picture on here. A recent one from 2007.

But I use a different user name and email for every site I sign up for ... so It'd be a little harder to track me down.

I wouldn't be so paranoid though. The internet can be a scary place, especially for women, but in a community like this one you are among friends

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I prefer not to post pictures of myself to the internet.

Obviously, not everyone feels this way, nor should they.

Some people's careers are directly related to their image being broadly disseminated. Mine is not.

I'm not interested in fame and insofar as I tend to be a controversial character, I'd prefer to remain anonymous to all but a few.

[edit on 2008/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I really aint too worried.

I'd love a stalker.

It would make life far more interesting for me.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Meh! I wouldn't bother with that warning too much! If you feel comfortable posting your photo as an avatar here at ATS, then that is your choice. If you start feeling paranoid, then you could claim that photo is a clone or doppelganger of you and you didn't know how it go there in the first place. I am aware of 'gang stalking', though.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What is gang stalking?
Not a one line post, just a genuine question...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
We have a number of threads on that topic.

/4648sm

Google Search

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

You need friends to make you look silly? I do a pretty bang-up job of that all by myself!

In seriousness, identity theft is an issue these days, but a few simple precautions can prevent this. At the end of the day, your avatar isn't going to give much away. Hell, I've used my actual picture as my avatar since day one on ATS. No, seriously, it's me! Ok, it isn't. Sigh, stupid genetics...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I had to quit using my picture..

My inbox was constantly full with all the messages from the ladies here at ATS...

Semper

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Rofl MM. I think it's time for a shave
I put my pic on my avatar up for awhile. Not one to look over his shoulder. Dang the torpedoes and full steam ahead. The wolf avatar GEL so kindly made for me is just more compelling than my lame mug.
I truly wouldn't worry.
John
PS Leave the sunglasses ON though! LOL
Semper...you raw dog devil you

[edit on 5/13/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

You are, of course, assuming that they are ladies. Because who would lie on the good old interweb? Right, now back to my chat with the 18 year old buxom blonde student from Paris. Apparently she urgently needs my credit card number so her mother can have an operation. She sounds genuine!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
you must have received that email from someone who knows you most probably a woman who is not very good looking ...
she might be jealous of you... and could not resist it and resorted to such warnings to you

[edit on 14-5-2008 by LOYAL]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I gotta say that if i was to use my picture in my avatar it'd have to be some sort of "Where's Wally" type thing.

Not that it matters though, i'm pretty certain there are people who know who i am on the internet anyway.

I'd love it if they'd stop worrying about whether or not they'll be able to keep playing games with me once they made themselves known to me.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Its cool sis post your picture what can they do its coooooooool

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I agree MinMin....what can they do...so I've shed the shades and donned a glass of stout.

I don't feel worried about the whole deal - Mr. Overlord has taken any concerns away with his message.

AND AND AND - the email address that it was sent to - wasn't even the email address I used to sign up for this site!! I should have figured that out immediately - bit slow on the uptake these days...just my age.

I do appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts regarding this non-issue and I do apologize for taking up everyone's time.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Posts like this blow my mind. How could you possibly know the facebook address? Other members have made similar comments about IP addresses. How does anyone know if it is confidential? It makes me want to run screaming from ATS.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by Tuebor

Posts like this blow my mind. How could you possibly know the facebook address? Other members have made similar comments about IP addresses. How does anyone know if it is confidential? It makes me want to run screaming from ATS.

LOL. Gosh maybe he right clicked on her picture and saw it is hosted on her facebook account?

Either that or he is with the NSA.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by Tuebor

LOL. Gosh maybe he right clicked on her picture and saw it is hosted on her facebook account?

Either that or he is with the NSA.

Exactly - even if they right clicked and saw it was hosted by facebook - it would be pretty difficult to get any information from it as the FB account is non-functioning. Facebook, however, never lets you delete your account - so I can still link pics from it.

Actually that isn't altogether true - you can have your account deleted but you have to totally clear your page and contact them directly before they will delete it - which can take forever.

But back on topic - I don't believe I am in any personal danger. I believe that it was an "inside" prank type job. I fully believe that ATS is a very safe and secure site.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I will say this, if I was a stalker, I sure as heck could'nt pick you out of a crowd from that pic alone. I can't really make out what you look like, just the eyes. Anyways, you are in no danger as the people on this board has stated, they can't get your information from ATS, and the pic is not a very revealing one. Just look at all the people on my space posting pictures and giving out email, and other info. Those are the people that need to be cautious, not you.

I personally have never posted a picture of myself anywhere on the internet, but I am just the paranoid/private type. I don't want anyone seeing my face unless I know that person. I don't even have many friends because I am so private & paranoid. But thats me.

Anyways don't worry, its a good picture, and the beer looks great!

Edit:typo

[edit on 15-5-2008 by schism85]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join