It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eco Group Calls For "Voluntary Human Extinction"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Agreed on that one. Get on and repair the planet, if there is a way for free energy let it out into the public, stop slurping oil, be gone with the overly packed products, eat more vegies because it takes less to make a carrot then it is to raise a cow for slaughter, desalinate (sp) seawater and make africa productive again, lots of produce to be had from that continent, do not overwork the land and stop using furtilizer and use seaminirals or something etc etc etc.

But people are pigheaded and as long as the people that make the decisions are nice and comfortable nothing will happen. And the western world is getting more apathic every moment so a chance of a revolt is getting very slim untill it is to late to do anything about the situation if that is not already the case.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Eco Group Calls For "Voluntary Human Extinction"

infowars.net

An environmental group says it's sole purpose is to recruit volunteers and educate enough people to eventually realize that the human race needs to completely die out in order that the planet can survive.

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT) says humans need to stop breeding and voluntarily progress our own slow demise in order that plants, animals and fragile ecosystems can survive.

The group's motto is "May we live long and die out". Their website explains their commitment to a long term goal of convincing the population of Earth that it has no future:
(visit the link for the full news article)

They should lead by example,
and start with themselves,
immediately.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The big flaw in this theory is their arrogance in deciding what is "natural" and what is not. How is anything that mankind does somehow more unatural than others?

Now, I'll be the first to say that informal systems do emerge, and that the introduction of elements from other informal or even formal systems does disrupt the ecology. However, this is all part of a natural process that eventually leads back to an equilibrium.

I really suggest they read Alan Watts "Death in the Kitchen" to get a better sense of the enlightenment they appearently seek.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
LMAO.

We didn't spend 3 million years evolving as a species just to come to the decision, "Maybe this whole 'life and prosperity' thing wasn't such a good idea."

The idea is to reach a harmony with our environment, rather than retreat into non-existence.

Reach the top of the food chain, only to allow another to become the dominate species after we've depleted our population? I think not.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
That....is one of the most idiotic contrivances any human being has come up with. Voluntary extinction.... I love Nature; I'm a Taoist. People don't need to die, we just need to wake up to OUR CONNECTION with Nature. Most of all religions state that in the beginning man lived in HARMONY with and PROTECTED Nature. We just need to get back to that.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
The idea is to reach a harmony with our environment, rather than retreat into non-existence.

Originally posted by Torsten
People don't need to die, we just need to wake up to OUR CONNECTION with Nature.

Exactly! Excellent points!

We have COMPLETELY lost our connection with nature.

People can make the argument that if it wasn't meant to happen this way, then it wouldn't have happened. I tend to agree because I'm one of those people that thinks everything happens for a reason.

But that doesn't mean we haven't lost our connection with nature. We've lost our instincts, we don't know how to take care of ourselves.

Put it this way: Take away everyone's job, take away all the grocery stores and isolate everyone to their own corner of the planet.

How many would survive? How many would know how to do what it takes to survive?

There are some. Those that have taken the time to learn survival skills. But aside from those people, I think you'd see most of the population die off.

Look at animals. They know how to hunt. They know how to survive. They're connected with nature, and nature, through instincts, points them in the direction to survive, while also keeping the circle of life going.

We need to learn basic animal instincts again. Whether people want to recognize it or not, we are an animal species. We're not some separate entity. It doesn't go plants, animals and humans.

Its just plants and animals.

Anyways, good posts tyranny22 & Torsten! Starred!

EDIT: I see you just registered yesterday, Torsten. Welcome to ATS!

[edit on 5/13/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

A small point, but is there such a thing as instinct when it comes to hunting?

I don't know of any "higher" animals that aren't taught by their mother how to hunt.

I understood it was something that was learned rather than just instinct - but of course I could be completely wrong.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

You're right. A lot of animal species are taught by their mother. But there are also some animal species where the mother abandons the young very early on in their life.

I'd say there are other survival instincts as well though. It wouldn't all necessarily have to do with hunting.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I was trying to figure out if humans ever had a hunting instinct, or if it was passed down.

I'm pretty sure I could survive for a little while, but that's only because of what I've been taught/learned.

The whole concept of being at one with nature escapes me, even though I love the countryside and the seaside where I live.

Perhaps it is now a lifestyle choice rather than something that's ingrained into us.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
How about looking ahead instead of backwards. Maybe we should concentrate our energy on spreading to other planets. The moon, Mars, are in reach, some of the other large moons have interesting prospects, eventually other stars. Human conquest of the galaxy I say!!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by smokingmonkey

Nothing against you personally, but why move to another planet hypothetically before we can take care of our own? We'll only #%&$ that one up too. Also, supposing there is other intelligent life on said planet are we going to do to them what our forefathers did to the Native Americans? Probably.
I mean no offense SM (that sounds funny); I am simply anayzing your post.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Thank you for your kind words.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well...

Not to ruin the party, BUTTTTTT...

This is definitely a JOKE. Alex Jones was digging for news (as always) and he swept this up.
www.vhemt.org...

The page seems simplistic, and quasi legitimate right?

go to the agreements disagreements pages, and read this guys responses... It seems to be obvious trolling... Dragging out conversation with none answers to build up interest.

How many people are actually involved in this group? 1 that I can find. Thats definitely not a group much less an organization. I have a feeling this is a Freshman Psych study, that some people are taking seriously.

Quotes below from Agreements and Disargreements pages. Responses are from Les.

Bob writes:

>NOT BREED? And deprive millions of unborn the miracle of Rush Limbaugh????<

See what I mean? Sentencing someone to life in a world like this is de facto child abuse.

>But seriously, Les, I couldn't agree with you more.<

Hooray! Now, a few billion more and we'll save the planet once and for all.

>I've even gone ya one better and have embraced voluntary poverty so as not to overconsume Ma Gaia's resources. How many Christians do YOU know who can say the same? ("What??? Isn't that the point??? To own lots of stuff??? HEAVENS TO BETSY!!!!!") <

Actually, you're not alone: Alternatives for simple living has been "Equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly, and celebrate responsibly" for 25 years.

>Maybe we should start a companion movement? People for Voluntary Deprivation? We could call it PeeVeD!<

Well, the name does present recruitment problems. The Voluntary Simplicity movement doesn't consider it deprivation when we free ourselves of worthless junk, which we pay for on the installment plan.

>Waiting for your reply with titilated baited breath,<

Is that pickled herring you're using for bait? ;-)

[Another great organization for voluntary simplicity is the Center for A New American Dream. "Helping individuals and institutions change the way they consume to protect the environment and enhance quality of life for all. In other words... More Fun, Less Stuff!"]

and from the disagreement page (MODS please clean up as necessary but realize these are direct quotes. I have taken the liberty of pre-editing the curse words(hopefully all of them!
)

Hello Chris,

Thank you for writing and sharing your views about diet, Earth, and death.

>eat a f*in owl, <

No thanks, I eschew meat. Besides, f*in owls are even more endangered than spotted owls. Ever seen one? I bet not.

>screw the earth<

Well, when puberty hit I considered screwing lots of things, but somehow the earth never jerked my chain, if you know what I mean. Sure, mud has its appeal, and to each their own, but I'll have to say "No, thank you" to that suggestion.

>If you want to die so damn bad, why don't you <

Your sentence was cut off and I can't imagine what you were going to suggest. It doesn't really matter though, because I don't want to die so damn bad. I can't imagine how you got that impression. We'll all be dead soon enough, no need to rush things. The VHEMT plan will save lives, not end them early.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. I have a feeling that you may have misunderstood our purpose. Suicide is not a part of The Movement.

>You people are the sickest motherf*ers I have ever seen.<

I can't disagree with your experience, but I've certainly seen sicker. Take the Pope, for example. He won't allow people to stop breeding even when their children are starving to death. 40,000 children die of malnutrition on an average day. Now that's sick. The VHEMT plan avoids this tragic and inhumane suffering.

>Kill yourselves if you want, but don't ask me to kill myself or my offspring.<

We'll all be dead soon enough, far too soon in many cases. We are not asking anyone to kill themselves, just to voluntarily refrain from further breeding.

>I thought I had run into every kind of idiot on the WEB, but your group is a new low.<

Yes, I know what you mean, You never know what strange ideas and unusual personalities you'll find when connecting to Web sites. They say it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round. Looks like the world will be going around for a long time.

I hope this clears up your misconception about killing ourselves. Please feel free to write if you have any other concerns about voluntary human extinction which I might be able to clarify.

Stratocaster writes:

>I agree! Some people shouldn't breed.. especially complete idiots like you! <

Glad we agree on this. I don't think complete idiots who aren't like me should breed either. In fact, I can't think of any one who should breed -- idiots or geniuses.

>You and your stupid Gaia crap, you should do "Gaia" a favor and die. . . <

Patience, I'm working on it. Suicide by old age takes a little longer, and can be painful, but it gets the job done.

> . . . and go to hell. <

Thanks for the suggestion, but from what I hear it's a place I wouldn't be caught dead in.

>Just put the *writers suggests suicide* and viola! <

But I don't have a gun nor a viola. Anyway, wouldn't I have to shoot the viola first?

>One less breeding human on planet Earth, and you'll be helping your cause at the same time. <

There's already one less breeding human on planet Earth -- better to go out with a snip than a bang.

Increasing death will not help the cause of voluntary human extinction. In one second, a death is compensated by four births. Only 1.7 deaths per second gives us an increase of 2.4 per second.

>You seriously must have way too much free time on your hands man.<

It's true that choosing to not breed gives a lot of free time. With that free time, I could find people on the internet I disagree with and tell them to go to hell, or I could contemplate unanswerable questions such as, "Why breed?"

while he can put forth a decent argument (college educated?) and has a good sense of humor, I cannot for the life of me take this website seriously.

The question is will you?

No offense Budski, you normally catch the good stuff off of Infowars... I think this one just happened to slip through yours and alex's fingers!

Coven

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

b
But the problem is man is too successful. like a virus or a plague of locust, a lack of natural population control has now led us to the unfortunate scenario that either man dies out, or rapidly dwindles in numbers soon - or takes the whole planet and everything on it with him.

It's simple logic really. human populations are simply unsustainable at these levels. So yes, this is an option. But it would take real courage and moral fortitude to take it.

the alternatives however are far, far worse in the long run.

j.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

No offense taken - it still makes for an interesting topic of discussion regardless of whether people take the site seriously

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

Actually they are a real group. I ran into these guys a few years back. Why do you think they may be fake exactly? Do you find the concept of self-imposed population control that shocking?

J.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

I was trying to figure out if humans ever had a hunting instinct, or if it was passed down.

I'm pretty sure I could survive for a little while, but that's only because of what I've been taught/learned.

The whole concept of being at one with nature escapes me, even though I love the countryside and the seaside where I live.

Perhaps it is now a lifestyle choice rather than something that's ingrained into us.

But you're in the UK aren't you? Truly, I can understand anyone growing up in the UK having little understanding of the natural world - mainly because the UK has none left. No diggs here - but I've visited often enough to know this first hand.

Civillisation to the degree it seems to have evolved in the UK, is I find, a pretty depressing concept.... Too many people,
too little space, no natural world left.

J.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Bit of a misconception there - where I live is very rural.

Just not on the scale of the US and the wide open spaces there.

Try looking at the west country, the dales, high peak, the lake district - and that's just in england - scotland and wales are less crowded and very lovely as well.

Sweeping generalisations are not an attractive trait

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I read this headline to my buddy like this, "wow something straight outta alex jones!", almost twilight zoneish!

I would just like to add I either
1. Have become aware of this idea and therefore now I see it everywhere (kinda like if you are looking for one color your gonna notice it more)

2. Or is this kinda stuff recently been popping up all over the place not just in internet forums, but people around me and even the MSM have been reporting news of this sort of idea.

and did anyone else think of a 12 monkeys scenario after reading that ?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Whats the purpose of this planet if there is no life...???

It'll just be a trashed rock floating around in space...Any organization that's pro-death should be sued and or placed in prison...It's murder in some form or another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join