It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper announces new military strategy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Reading a book on the history of Tommy Douglas made my hair stand on end a few times.

The Canadian government, at the time, was less human then the US. It makes one want to push the local agenda a little left to bring a balance.

The thing that angered me concerning the RCMP was the taster death in Vancouver as well as other scattered taster deaths across Canada.

So far as the Liberals go Trudeau spent more on the military then the PC's did. He also released a "white paper" showing how Canadian's will pay for these 30 billion dollars. They always say to follow the money!

Anyway, do not take my more leftist views as a sign that I do not love this country, I do. Tommy Douglas has a way of getting into your bones.
www.canada.com...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree about the RCMP being corrupt. They work hand in hand with the Hells Angels, and Mafia. I also agree that our military should be getting more money to work with. Yeah, they are fighting a useless battle, but when the time comes and someone is invading our country I don't want them using rocks for guns and guns for knives.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

With all due honesty, Vancouver is a pretty rough place now. I went to visit and I literally seen 3-4 fights on my first night. It is over crowded now and too many gangs on the streets. It's becoming like the USA as more people join it.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Interesting thing. Last time I was in Vancouver was 30 years ago. All love and stuff at that time.

I will be out there this summer.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah I was there at Bilderberg 2006 in Ottawa and the person in the black limousine who went throught the back wasn't Harper as we thought... but it was Hillary Clinton as confirmed with the hotel's staff.

But Harper or Dion it doesn't matter, just like democrats and republicans, both are the same parties. They just fight for show.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Damned if you do damned if you don't.

If Harper and the conservatives don't follow through with a campaign promise then they are accused of being Bush's lapdogs. If they do lay out a long-term strategy for security then they are accused of fascism.

The present Canadian military has long been the butt of jokes.

"If missles came is six-packs, Canada would be a superpower!"

He said if Canada wants to be taken seriously on the world stage, it has to rebuild its military's ability to act decisively at home and globally.

Canadians should be proud they have a leader with the cojones to put forth a strategy like this.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Condy in 2006 enjoying a national treasure (Timmy's coffee)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Why the military buildup at this point in history? Canada has always had brave soldiers, brave Border Agency, and for the most part, beside the past few years a brave police force. Yet when Canada attempted to build anything of value it was scrapped by the goverment.

Item 1. The Avro Arrow. The fastest jet made at the time. Scrapped by a PC PM Deifenbaker!
Quote"The legend of the Arrow is the story of a near perfect machine, a supersonic aeroplane created by Canadian engineers, technicians and skilled workers only to be willfully destroyed by Canadian politicians in 1959. This destruction included not only the cancellation of the project, but also the destruction of all visible evidence that the aircraft had ever existed. After more than thirty years, the story of the Arrow has refused to die. "
Link to pictures of the arrow.

Item 2. Harp Technology in Canada
www.astronautix.com...
www.nthposition.com...
Item 3. Mr Bull The Project Babylon Supergun
en.wikipedia.org...
Quote "
In 1960 he left CARDE to become a professor at McGill University. He interested the US government in using guns to loft missile components for re-entry research, a task that was otherwise very expensive and time-consuming aboard rockets. With money from the Pentagon and the Canadian Defense Department, he set up Project HARP (for High Altitude Research Program, not to be confused with HAARP) on a large plot of land in Quebec near the US border. There he began working with 5" and 7" artillery pieces."

This man Bull was in demand every where in the world but in the end he was killed.

So, again my point is that every other time in Canada's post WW2 history when we have began to build our military it is stopped my our goverment and the talent goes south!

[edit on 13-5-2008 by whiteraven] Sorry for all the edits..messed up photobucket

[edit on 13-5-2008 by whiteraven]

[edit on 14-5-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

I thought it was so cute when Condi was here in 06 and she and McKay were hanging out. Everyone thought it was a romance...that would have been really sweet.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Wow...I really messed up with photobucket.

Anyways, the only reason I can see that Canada would even be allowed by the USA to build its military is in preparation for a North American Union.

I bet my old lady that Canada and the USA would be together in 30 years!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Harper is a complete tool but this is the only issue that I agree with. Our troops have been so underfunded for so long. Give them what they need to do the job.

Anyone one want to buy a Sea King? Cheap? :shk:

Sorta sucks that these threads don't pop up in my rounds usually.

Harper isn't the greatest prime minister that we have had when it comes to charisma but personally he has done a better job then Martin before him.

The announcement today is old news that more so backs up the funding that was ear marked for the 17s Chinooks and tanks etc.

As for this talk of some sort of conspiracy about troops and movement over boarder being rooted in a plan to take over the world is in my opinion beyond "proof" as to evil motives. You know it just maybe for what they say it is incases of disaster relief and national emergency. Yes I agree its sorta weird and maybe not the best law to have approved but it takes a major step to chalk this up to Nazis.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
reply to post by Tuebor

I thought it was so cute when Condi was here in 06 and she and McKay were hanging out. Everyone thought it was a romance...that would have been really sweet.

Shudder

Liked the old guy before McKay since he had you know what is it? Experience in the actual military. I freaking hate politics

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This article hints at some of the reasons why nations are going to arms over oil. The item that grabbed my attention was some of the African developments. We know China believes that this is their play.

www.atimes.com...

Quote"One conspicuous use of military means in the pursuit of energy is obviously the regular transfer of arms and military-support services by the major energy-importing states to their principal suppliers. Both the United States and China, for example, have stepped up their deliveries of arms and equipment to oil-producing states like Angola, Nigeria and Sudan in Africa and, in the Caspian Sea basin, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. The United States has placed particular emphasis on suppressing the armed insurgency in the vital Niger Delta region of Nigeria, where most of the country's oil is produced; Beijing has emphasized arms aid to Sudan, where Chinese-led oil operations are threatened by insurgencies in both the South and Darfur. "

Another note: If Canada is allowed to build up their military then the United States of America must be confident that the nation of Canada will be in their tow. This fact alone brings Harper into question.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Raven I think you aren't very clear on how the Arrow which is a project that I live and breath is tied to todays military. Yes it is history but it is not reflective of today or if viewed that way will skew things to be so.

Yes we got problems when it comes to the government getting their fingers dirty in none of their bis when it comes to certain things in tech development and so on but show me a Country that isn't fascist that doesn't have them problem. (US included)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

Sorry. My point is that most of Canada's military advances have been scrapped by our goverment. The arguement has always been the cost factor.

After we scrap the ideas the US military hires on all of the consultants, scientists, engineers etc and finish the development down south. Fine by me.

Now, we see an aboutface. We almost sold our sattelite technology to a United States company but it was stopped. We now have a green light to build our military. Why? Why at this point in time?

The answer lies in looking at history. If we are brought together as a North American Union it benifits the British and Crown plans that have been in the works since the 1700's to dominate North America.

I am wondering if a false flag is in the works.

edit for spelling

[edit on 14-5-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
A lot of ifs is all that I'm saying.

The past history we seem to agree on the basics but the plans of the british etc is sorta out their for myself (its not for everyone eh?).

Anyways time for me to call it quits for the night. got to work in the morn will pick this up then.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I'm a Canadian nationalist. You completely misunderstand what Canadian nationalism is all about. We have been dominated by the United States culturally and economically so the Canadian government has taken steps over the past 30 to ensure Canadians get access to more Canadian "content" like sports, culture - hell do you think Anne of Green Gables" is some American stuff, or The English Patient and any of Margaret Attwood's books? Nein, Herr Freund! Canadian nationalism isn't about navel gazing; it's about keeping our own culture alive despite US dominance. That's why Mulroney got kicked out; he was too busy sucking up to the Americans. Canada has also refused to go into the space program with the Americans and instead has teamed up the the Eurpoeans.

Andrea Bain
[email protected]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well, if it's any consolation, those idiots should be out of office soon enough. It's just a question as to how much damage they can do on the way out.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
Wow...I really messed up with photobucket.

Anyways, the only reason I can see that Canada would even be allowed by the USA to build its military is in preparation for a North American Union.

I bet my old lady that Canada and the USA would be together in 30 years!

Interesting hypothesis! Your statements presume a couple things.

1. The USA actually has influence over Canada in regards to its military structure and organization.

2. That Canadians and Americans would want to become a union in the first place.

My own hypothesis is as follows:

There is a fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians that would prevent a union. Although we share economic ties, politically, socially and culturally we are significantly different.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Got to love ATS'ers asumptions, if you want to know what it is like in the Canadian Military ask a soldier. My brother is serving and it is a joke, they need the support of people and money from our government. They do more than fight wars, they also peacekeep around the world and we need our own equipment, not renting from other countries. They are also under staffed, and we have the liberal's 13 yrs of rule to thank for that. It's about time it got turned around. If it kept deterating people would cry conspiracy to have our military so weak that we will be taken over so easily....bla bla bla

Time to stand up and be proud to be Canadian and not have others think that if we invade them we'll be coming in on canoe's and sail boats.

Harper is a crook just like every other politician. He's just better at it than the other leaders we've had in awhile.

Not much we can do about the NAU, other than to except it. When your faced with military force, just do as they say and love everyone and everything, so don't kill for them and in the end all will be good. We'll whine out the evil ones and they'll suffer for it later.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

First off welcome to ATS. I am fairly new here as well.

Nationalism, as defined by you is a powerful way to incorporate the values of whoever leads the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Canada has had a long history of sticking it to the "Americans" and Canadian's seem to revel in it.

As I type this I am reminded of the CBC show in which the host went to the great state of Arkansas and spoke to Governor Mike Huckabee pertaining to "Canada's National Igloo". I laughed so hard I cried as the Governor congratulated Canada on its new National Igloo. It was even funnier if you understood how sincere he was. God Bless Mike Huckabee

Canada's culture is defined by its love hate relationship with the USA. It fully reminds me of the relationship that a US State has with the US federal government. Or should I say the relationship they used to have prior to the US federal government attempting to override State law....and this nuance, this Federal Doctrine of Fed. Law trumping state law bleeds over into the way the United States views Canada.

I have heard many military grunts refer to Canada as the “Northern Most State”. This is said tongue in cheek, yet if push ever came to shove you can bet your boots that we would become the Northern Most State. (Much the same way the Feds view California Medical Cannabis laws….the Feds allow the law to be made, then they raid the growers)

Canadian Nationalism, if looked upon as simply keeping the Canadian culture alive, should be pursued with zeal.

Some of our greatest moments have been when we chart a course apart from the US.

Jean Chrétien did this in his refusal to go to Iraq!
Gay marriage is legal here. Not in the US.
Pierre Trudeau did this when he defied Nixon and allowed John and Yoko to do the peace thing here in Canada.
Trudeau did it again when he allowed US draft dodgers to reside legally in Canada.

These actions have allowed Canada’s artistic community to reflect upon these values and integrate them into the Canadian zeitgeist.

The above examples define Canada has a peace loving nation.

So, with that in mind why is Harper trying to compete on the military front? Why is the USA allowing Harper to do this?

Hang around Alberta for a while, talk to Preston Manning for a little and you will soon understand.

The North American Union would be the answer.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join