It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper announces new military strategy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Harper announces new military strategy

www.canada.com

Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised a "Canada First" defence strategy Monday, repeating his earlier promises to give the military the troop numbers and equipment it needs to do its job.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.scoreboard-canada.com
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
An outside view of the Republic

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Canada First is the Harper battlecry. Sounds like nationalism.

Prime Minister Harper's platform now resembles a classic fascist method of operation. He already has the Neo Nazi RCMP in his lap now he has the Canadian military.
"Nationalism: Fascism places a very strong emphasis on patriotism and nationalism. Criticism of the nation's main ideals, especially war, is lambasted as unpatriotic at best, and treason at worst. State propaganda consistently broadcasts threats of attack, while justifying pre-emptive war. Fascism invariably seeks to instill in its people the warrior mentality: "to always be vigilant, wary of strangers and suspicious of foreigners

www.canada.com

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Read the last line in the article.
"Harper said the government's long-term procurement policy will result in building industrial capacity as businesses work with the military to supply new technology and equipment."

Harper seems to have decided to create Canada's own Military Industrial Complex!

So much for a strong and free Canada. Where is Truedeau when you need him?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Good find, whiteraven; Flag & Stars!

I don't know alot about Canada, so this is interesting, thanks! Except that
it's the Great White North, EEYHH

I noticed the article said one of the reasons for all the new military
goodies, was to attract more young people into the services. Nothin like a
teen-ager driving a spankin' brand new tank, spraying automatic fire into
practice targets!!!

Yeah, I don't see why Canada shouldn't upgrade their military equipment,
the world is getting smaller, and more threatening, so they want to keep
up with the Jones's.

I like your comparison to fascism, kinda like here in the U.S.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

The Canadians need to get their military in order if they plan on even trying to stake a claim to the melting North Polar region's massive untapped resources.

Russia has been making agressive sorties into the area to stick flags into the continental crust.

Canada, if they plan on holding their stake claim, need to be able to back it up with notional military might.

That said OP, it is a bit of a leap from Nationalism to Fascism. Harper doesn't have any of the other Fascist elements needed- especially dictatorial control.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Canada has maintained a peaceable rep. throughout the world. As you read the article Harper hints at wanting to be a military player.

There are only a handful of countries in this club and personaly I don't believe Canada needs to go in that direction.

I am aware of Russian, Danish, and American activity in the North but there are better ways to secure the North. Developing jobs, infastructure,resources would be a far better way to spend 30 billion. IMO

We can develop these resources hand in hand with the US in much the same way Alberta was developed without giving up any rights to the area.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Yes, I agree, it is a leap from Nationalism to Fascism....yet I think you can see that it is a big step in that direction.

Harper comes out of a extreme right wing background. If you need to have a peak into his background look at the link in this post.

Harper borders on joining the USA outright, stated that Canada does not have a seperate culture from the USA, calling the culture a North American" culture.

The military buildup has very little to do with the North and much more to do with future joint Canadian US ventures such as Afghanistan.

openpolitics.ca...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

How does rebuilding Canada's military force be considered Fascism? Perhaps Hugo Chavez is a Fascist when hes rebuilding a military force. Or perhaps the Communist China as Fascist when they are building up their forces. Buying a new tank automatically makes you a fascist? Hardly.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

It is not simply the building of the military equipment that stinks of fascism, it is his rhetoric behind the buildup.

Harper has already hammered out an agreement with the US which allows the US military to come over the borders uninvited if a emergency should occur. So why spend billions on the military when we need infastructure?

Our bridges, roads, railways need the 30 billion. This is where the money is needed.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yeah, this isn't Fascism in the slightest.
It's a military upgrade, plain and simple.

However, I do hope Canada maintains a "defensive" military, and not an offensive one.

The last thing we need is the only remaining free nation in North America to start picking fights like the Yanks do.

If it's simply to defend our sovereignty over the northern sectors, then I'm all for it. It's been a bit of a land grab up there lately.

(Not to mention, who knows when those crazy cowboys to the south decide to start aiming their guns at us... they really can't be trusted to maintain allegiances.)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

And we have this conspiracy by Americans that Canadian troops are going to be used against American civilians (since they are not bound by the American laws) besides just your view of American troops being used against Canadians. We don't know everything except assumptions.

Besides that other countries besides Canada and U.S. spends tons of money on defense when their people are starving or infrastructure is collapsing. That don't mean that they are becoming fascists. They prioritize what needs what. How much for defense and how much for healthcare or for law enforcement, education, etc.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Delta Boy, I provided the link to show you that Canada and the US have agreed, and it is now US/Canadian law that US troops can legally cross the border.

No longer a conspiracy theory, it is now law.

So far as our march to fascism is concerned many people have seen the parallels of the pre WW2 buildup and the current decade in North America.

On top of that, US corporations have deep ties with the Nazi’s as well as with fascist ideas. This is well documented as well. I will provide a link showing Hitler meeting with IBM.

Does this not alarm you at all?
www.worldnetdaily.com...

Hitler pictures!images.google.ca...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
That son of a ...., I knew that Harper was a globalist, but this is just awful. This guy is not nationalistic, he's claiming to be, just like Bush. Yes he want a powerful military, but it's for other purposes, a police state, just like in the USA.

I mean, when the North American Union is announced and people are angry, yes we will have americans troops here in Canada, but canadians troops will go in the US to ``quell dissent`` there too. They have to be on the US level of equipment.

What's the goal of a military industrial complex in Canada? The same as the US, poverty to the people, money for the bankers and using of this power to invade other countries and oppress the people at home.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yea...I saw Alex Jones trying to get his attention before he went into a Bilderberg meeting here in Canada. (I saw this on video, not first person)

I was shocked!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Harper is a complete tool but this is the only issue that I agree with. Our troops have been so underfunded for so long. Give them what they need to do the job.

Anyone one want to buy a Sea King? Cheap? :shk:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The problem I see with the Canadian Military Equation is his reference toward a Canadian Military Industrial Complex. The last sentance in the article.

So far as the North is concerned they need Canadian infrastructure, not tanks or warships. lol

Have you been up North yet...it sucks big time. All you can do is work, drink beer and sleep.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by whiteraven]

spelling and #$%

[edit on 13-5-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As long as corporate business is the beneficiary of such 'policy' it is clear that the path chosen will lead to Canada's first unilateral 'war.'

Business is the key to corrupting any government, War is good only for it's own sake. Will our Canadian brothers allow their government to become the next corporate junta? I hope not, I was hoping they would become the new "land of the free..." It's conveniently close by.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven

Canada First is the Harper battlecry. Sounds like nationalism.

Prime Minister Harper's platform now resembles a classic fascist method of operation. He already has the Neo Nazi RCMP in his lap now he has the Canadian military.
"Nationalism: Fascism places a very strong emphasis on patriotism and nationalism. Criticism of the nation's main ideals, especially war, is lambasted as unpatriotic at best, and treason at worst. State propaganda consistently broadcasts threats of attack, while justifying pre-emptive war. Fascism invariably seeks to instill in its people the warrior mentality: "to always be vigilant, wary of strangers and suspicious of foreigners

www.canada.com

The Canadian Forces have been languishing for decades under the Liberals and as the protectors of this country they should have the very best in equipment and technology. And the fact that this equipment will be made domestically should make you glad that state secrets aren't being outsourced and offshored.

I don't know what state sponsored propaganda you have been watching, but the CBC is as anti-Conservative, anti-Harper, anti-military as it gets. Even the commercials of the CDN Forces themselves only talk about offering help in crises and emergency domestic problems. And besides that, Stephen Harper hasn't done anything to "close the border" or be "wary of strangers." Where did the quote you posted even come from? Because it didn't come from the article you cited.

The bottom line is that the PM is just coming through on yet another campaign promise, doing right by his constituents and you apparently don't appreciate that.

"Neo Nazi RCMP"? I'm sorry but WTF are you talking about? I don't understand what is Fascist about the country's police force, or military upgrades.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Your tone gives me the impresion that I am not allowed to explore various points of view and apply those points of view as I see fit as a free citizen.

lol

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
"Neo Nazi RCMP"? I'm sorry but WTF are you talking about? I don't understand what is Fascist about the country's police force, or military upgrades.

The RCMP is not what it once was. Corruption at the top and incompetence at the bottom. Not across the board but it's there. And before you accuse me of anything my father was in the RCMP. He's long retired.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join