It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has This Ever Happened To You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Has anyone here heard or read something from the media then when a topic or question pops up here, you go to find that information and its gone? ? I have had it happen twice now. I absolutely know the media outlet I heard or read it, but when I go back to they're archives and do a search its Gone. I try mutiple ways to search and its still not there. Its kinda spooky to have this happen, but it does to me. Am I alone???

Zindo

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Has anyone here heard or read something from the media then when a topic or question pops up here, you go to find that information and its gone? ? I have had it happen twice now. I absolutely know the media outlet I heard or read it, but when I go back to they're archives and do a search its Gone. I try mutiple ways to search and its still not there. Its kinda spooky to have this happen, but it does to me. Am I alone???

Zindo

That happens to me sometimes with online articles from newspapers. American newspapers don't seem to keep very good archives of old articles online. I don't run into that problem with British papers as much for some reason.

The funny thing is that it's rarely anything particularly interesting or related to any possible conspiracy. It could be any old thing, with all the relevant information available elsewhere. I think many of the major news providers just delete everything over six months old or something. It's really kind of annoying. Broken links irritate me.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm talking about within 30 days. I'm starting to feel like I imagined it,LOL
BUT...I'm sure, so I guess it is something I'm going to have to deal with or start to make copies of everthing I read or see. I'm going to have to get an external hard drive I guess!!

Zindo

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Yes. I have this happen to me too. But a lot of the time it doesn't seem like anything of a truly conspiratorial or damning nature, though sometimes it is. Makes me wonder if there really is a Matrix sometimes.

On finding something... does anyone have a copy of that Bush video, where he is talking at a dinner or something, and he sais something about being among his rich friends or something like that. Sort of taking a jab at the average sheeple. I can't really remember what he said, just the gist of it sort of.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have made the mistake of posting something on here without first making sure I have the info to back it up. This surely screws your credibility because the info you had can't be found to backup what you posted. This has been very disconcerting to me, not only on this board, but on other boards I'm a member of. This is not something I take lightly.

Zindo

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I personally don't knock someone's overall credibility by not having sources to backup what they claim. I just might not be able to agree with them on that specific topic until there is some verification. On the other hand, there are times when you know damn well the tracks have been covered, and you're never gonna get the data anyway, so you just have to go with your gut.

Still though, I have felt your frustration. It does suck. Especially when you find something really killer, and wind up losing it.

A lot of my YouTube videos have disappeared. Some quite controversial stuff too actually. But I don't have a way to back them up since I don't own my own computer, and can't really afford flash drives or anything either.

EDIT to add: I also hate it when a link goes dead in a thread after it has been up for a while.

[edit on 5/13/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Quite often when i find an interesting little tidbit of information i will draft out an entire post based on that lone article, only to find that when i go back to copy the link the article has gone missing.

Is that sort of what you're trying to illustrate?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Just exactly correct. It drives me nutz,LOL
Zindo

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Not that it would really prove much in an argument, but you can get a free webcrawler, like HTTrack and index your sources on your hard drive, along with all the things it links to. That way, at least you could be personally sure you're not imagining things. I use it sometimes to back up useful things I see on the internet, but fear could disappear without notice. Sometimes I use it just to back up useful websites like hyperphysics, and some sites on survival so I can access them even when the internet stops working (a pox on this DSL!).

It lets you browse backed up websites in your web browser as if you were online, but without any need for the internet. I want a copy of wikipedia (yes, the whole damn thing), but they don't like people using web crawlers because it slows it down for everybody else, and prefer people copying their site through other methods that don't impact their site's speed, so I'm obliging them and holding off until I can find a better way.

Just get a program like that, there's a lot of open source ones, and enter the website you want copied. It'll generally be pretty smart about which links it saves.

It's way better than just saving the webpage using the browser's built-in feature, because it's a much better copy, with all the nested hierarchies intact so it works just like the real thing.

Hope it helps!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
It "happened" to me once with an article online about the moon landings. The site had been updated only a few months before I read it. Anyways, I thought it was interesting, and bookmarked it.

I sent a few of my friends the link via e-mail. The next day I went to look at the article, and it was gone. But not just the article, the entire website.

Ever since, I always copy or print entire websites that might prove to hold valuable information.

new topics

top topics

join