It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atom smasher may give birth to 'Black Saturns'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is in reference to the LHC

space.newscientist.com...
If we ever make black holes on Earth, they might be much stranger objects than the star-swallowing monsters known to exist in space. According to a new theory, any black hole that pops out of the Large Hadron Collider under construction in Switzerland might be surrounded by a black ring – forming a microscopic "black Saturn".

A black hole and a black ring can co-exist, in theory, as long as they are set spinning, say Henriette Elvang of MIT in Cambridge, US, and Pau Figueras of the University of Barcelona in Spain. "If you just had a ring, it would collapse. It's essential that it rotates to keep balanced," Elvang told New Scientist.

Anyone else find this alot more interesting than a simple 'black hole' which are observed in space,

i really like the idea behind studying them on a microscopic level rather than a galatic level

**edited to show the image**

[edit on 12/5/2008 by AmmonSeth]

(added link)

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Jbird]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Last month we had Dr Michio Kaku on our program. Here is the real story behind this whole thing.

Dr Kaku was having lunch with a friend that makes Sci-fi movies. They got to talking about this new Hadron Collider and the producer asks Dr Kaku if it was to make a black hole wouldnt it swallow the earth by getting bigger. Dr Kaku said no, because its not what we think of a black whole its on a whole other level. But the producer thought it would make a great movie so he went out and made some made for tv movie about it.

Then 2 guys in HI saw this move and got all freaked out because they dont really understand what this Hadron Collider really is going to work. But they filed a law suit anyway trying to stop it.

Its funny but its in our archives. If anyone wants we can have it cut and posted up so you can hear the story from the interview last month.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy_of_wprt

On the topic of Michio Kaku, I am trying to find some of his better media clips (video or audio) to help introduce a friend of mine to the crazy and interesting world of theoretical physics.

If you have any links, I'd love to see them.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I dont know what to say. very interesting. so the theory is that a mini hole forms and doesnt expand? well I claim copyrights for Black Saturns...that sound too cool. prog/metal!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
That does sound pretty interesting, and I believe I found a picture of one of these:

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic– Review This Link.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by Jbird]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
That does sound pretty interesting, and I believe I found a picture of one of these:

wow great contribution

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oh god! The earth is doomed! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Aww come one... it was a Black Saturn... it just happened to be a car. Seems noone can take a joke anymore.

ANYWAY, back on topics...

The closer we get to the Hadron collider getting up and running, the more excited I get. I know some are worried it'll be the end of the world... but I'd be more than willing to take that risk.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
Aww come one... it was a Black Saturn... it just happened to be a car. Seems noone can take a joke anymore.

ANYWAY, back on topics...

The closer we get to the Hadron collider getting up and running, the more excited I get. I know some are worried it'll be the end of the world... but I'd be more than willing to take that risk.

LOL I liked it actually. Yeah im with you on that one. I find it funny that all this branches from a lunch conversation with a movie producer and Dr Kaku, but I just want them to get the "Grid" up and going for the rest of us. "The Grid" was made to record all the data that thing is going to put out, and makes the high speed internet look like dial up at 28k. That is something I want now! Faster then fast internet on the GRID!

new topics

top topics

join