It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should I believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have been hovering around CiR for a while now and had some input and have been very impressed with the degree of religious knowledge here not to mention the diversity so I figured this would be a good group to ask.

As a bit of background into me, in my younger years I was one of those ‘Super Christians’ dedicated to the cause dutifully witnessing every chance I got, went to church and bible study several times a week, and could out debate most JWs, Christadelphians and others.

After a few years of this the pendulum swung to the extreme opposite and I got involved in a lot of things I shouldn’t have, spiritually, morally and even legally.

Right now the pendulum has swung back but not much past the mid way point. I still believe in god or the ‘supreme being’ if you will and always have, but I have recently been questioning a lot of things I once accepted at face value. This should be a healthy thing except that some of the answers I have found has led to even more questions.

I know at this point many of you will be thinking that I should research and make up my own mind and not leave something like this to a bunch of faceless strangers. This is not the case. The reason I am asking here is because of the above mentioned diversity. You will also notice that I have not mentioned any specifics and that is because I don’t want to guide this into any particular direction but will leave it open for any input.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Well, I believe that God is a trinity and He made man in this same fashion because He mad man in His own image. I believe that the Adonai, Holy Spirit and Yeshua are all Three in One. I believe that after man sinned God put His plan to give man a permanant means of salvation into motion (before Yeshua, people offered animals as a burnt offering to God). The fallen angels polluted the human gene pool by creating non-humans that would have completely destroyed humanity if od did not cleanse the world of them. These same fallen angels started to pollute humanity once agian after the flood, but in less of a direct fashion this time, what they created was non-human beings called Nephelim, these Nephelim did not have resurectable bodies, they had no chance of finding salvation for sin since they were not human yet had a spirit, so there spirits became what we know to be demons today. The children of Israel fought and exterminated the Nephelim and there kindred. Then after many years of being prophesied Yeshua the Messiah came into the world and taugh us a new way to live, to love others and help those in need, to go beyond our own comforts to meet the needs of others. He taught us to love God and how to pray and worship Him. Then Yeshua became the last sacrifice for sin and now we can live with Him forever in Heaven after our bodies die, if we simply just be accept His friendship, guidence and try to live the way He taught, the best we can.

This is what you should believe, but it is of course, your descision.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I believe you have to follow your heart on this one, and do what is comfortable for you.

Take my boyfriend for instance. You would think the guy is a very religious Southern Baptist. He attends Bible class a few times a week, and never misses Church on Sunday.

He has no clue what his lessons mean before his classes. He has no clue what scripture means. I used to go to Church and the classes with him until I realized that for the most part most of the people there were absolutely clueless.

I really think he just shows up for these things because he will get into heaven for doing it, as I see he really has no desire to put his heart into it, so to speak.

I find it pointless that he doesn't even understand the fundamentals of his own religion. I won't even discuss religion with him any longer.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it resonates with you, and if you question it, then you haven't found your niche yet.

Good luck in your search.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Each person feels a pull towards what suits them best. A lot of people actively deny it, or don't even seek to discover what it may be, leading to a huge number of spiritually unfulfilled, bitter, and in my opinion, dangerous people. My advice would be to explore your options - yeah, all of them - as thoroughly as you can. You'll find what you need to believe out there.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Very nice personal story. I offer you a quotation in inspiration:

'Whosoever comes to Me, through whatsoever form, I reach him. All men are struggling through many paths which in the end lead to Me.'

Seek and ye shall find... and the truth shall set you free

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Where is that from?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Vivekananda's Chicago Address of 1893. The man practically echoes my views on philosophy and religion

Text copy of the speech, if you're interested in reading it can be found here:

Chicago Address

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Yes but the quote itself was taken from the Bhagavad Gita which is the teachings of Krishna.

One could be forgiven for thinking it was Jesus who said it though. Something to think about......

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This issue, as I see it, is about whether or not you have obtained salvation (become born again or whatever).

In my youth the church I grew up in taught (and also proved) that God is the Creator, Jesus Christ was His Son, and the holy spirit is our "gift". I was instructed as to how and why all the trinitarian churchs thought and taught what they did. I learned from another church that not all churches have the "whole truth" later in life...

Basically, the idea of Lucifer's (or Baal, etc.) agenda is to prevent us from becoming born again. Learning of the life of Jesus Christ and what the law is (and was) is certainly important, but not so much as being "saved". Lots of the bible is mistranslated and lots of false doctrines exist so dividing the "wheat from the chaff" is just not accomplishable in a lifetime.

What helps me when I begin to doubt is to question myself and "take it to the Word". What does the Creator say?

I'll recommend the Seventh Day Adventist church and specifically Dr. Veith's speeches. They hold to the trinity but everything thing else I have seen come out of that church is spot on.

Also, seconding Enthralled Fan's first line and TWF's last line.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Oh of course! Sorry, bit of a blunder by me.

I first heard that verse in the speech by Vivekananda. Im ashamed to say I never bothered to find out the source.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Believe what you want!

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whitesatan

Actually if I were you I'd say "Believe what is true", cause not everything we want is what we need or what is true and believing in the truth is always what we need, so we need to change what we need into what we want, to want what you need is a good idea.
So what do we need? Yeshua.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

Well, I'm sure it'll offend, but, I find it a little awkward for a guy who believes that Angels had babies with human women who turned inho giants and were the cause of a global biocide by their own creator, and these giants alter became demons... says for someone o "believe what is true"

Sorry. I'd be like someone who beleives that rocks have souls and can speak to those who listen carefully and that all things in the universe are under the influence of one's deceased ancestors to one degree or another.. .saying the same thing

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yet another occasion where I agree with The Walking Fox. I too used to be an uber-Christian. Around eight years ago I found myself in a place where I didn't believe in anything. I effectively tore down everything I believed and was left with nothing but bitterness and anger. Cut to a few years later, I bought book upon book on every religion possible, studied them all till I finally found what I had been looking for. A religion that really matched the beliefs that I had developed on my own and that religion just happened to be Shinto. Some say it's a dying religion, but it suits me. Find what suits you and run with it. You'll find what you are looking for..... just explore your options.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Believe in yourself and your ability to find the path that is best in alignment with your spirit.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
if we were created by god then why did he not make everything perfect.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sound Garden

You know. My initial reaction would have been good question but one for another thread, but after thinking about it, it is exactly what this thread is about. Not exactly the questions I had but very valid and hopefully someone (if not many) will have an answer.

For me, the answer is that he did make everything perfect. Depending on what it is you are referring to, either we have corrupted it or our view of perfect if different from his.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sound Garden

The universe is perfect - it's just that humanity has amazingly unrealistic standards for perfection. THis is because, of course, we believe ourselves to be the absolute purpose for the existence of everything, and anything that does not directly benefit us is, to our perceptions, "imperfect"

It may seem like a horrible injustice to us when a tiger carries off a child in India. But the tiger was huyngry and is probably feeling pretty good about hte order of hte universe at the moment.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

You pose an interesting question that inevitably all who seek the truth will ask.

You must believe what you think is the truth, my friend.

A man's virtue is judged by the wisdom behind in his choices in life.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Believe in what makes you happy. You don't want to spend the rest of your life being miserable. Research on your own and find which religion suits you the best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join