It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Fired Today, For My Bumperstickers!!!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ruggeder

What planet are you living on?

I am neither republican, nor christian, in fact, I dont believe in any form of religion at all, but I still believe she should have been fired.

Incidentally, could you provide a source for your claim that MOST have been abused?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Some things are off limits.
It has nothing with whether you agree with the bumpersticker or not, it has more to do with whether the parents trust the daycare with their kids.

Sometimes you just have to leave your politics at home.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I understand your anger and frustration.

You do NOT however, have a 1st Amendment issue.

The 1st Amendment states, in part: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech ..."

It was not Congress who made the hiring policy for the day care center, end of issue.

All the day care center has to show is a reasonable point for your dismissal. It is reasonable for them to think that employing someone who posts the word 'pedophile' and/or 'gay', on the car they drive onto, and park at, the daycare center, could cause the removal of a child, and by extension, loss of income.

Is it a reasonable conclusion for the day care center to reach, again, in my view, yes. Should you have been allowed to mitigate the problem, this seems to be to also be reasonable. If you were willing to drive another car to eliminate this as a problem, I think that is completely fair. I also like to think that if I needed the job, and was willing to drive my sisters car to negate any possible issues associated with my bumper stickers, I would have been able to see where there might be a point of friction, and drove my sisters car right from the start, or asked the boss, if they would take any issue with bumper stickers featuring the word 'pedophile' or 'gay', in advance of leaving my car in their parking lot.

I have to go with the 'lesson learned' group on this one.

And don't try for a Hooter's job either.

Just_one_guy_s__viewpoint

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm afraid that your right to "freedom of speech" doesn't really come into play here. You were completely free to express yourself via the bumper sticker, and you did. Unfortunately, you do NOT have a "right" to a job, and therefore with very few exceptions your job was entirely within its rights to fire you. The first amendment mandates that the government not make any laws restricting the freedom of expression, but does not speak to private companies. They basically CAN fire you for expressing yourself.

Basically, the lesson is that you shouldn't go around next to daycares driving cars that basically say "I think pedophilia is funny". Have some tact, man.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
My only comment is that perhaps you should take into consideration where you are working.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I saw your bumper stickers and generally agree with your politics but I say you're guilty as charged. Your rightto speak freely comes with a dutyto accept the consequences.

"pedophile" declarations at a daycare is yelling "Fire!" in crowded theater.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Basically you're an idiot. Yes the sticker is funny, and yes it sucks you got fired. But COME ON. Think about it for two seconds before crying "victim of political prejudice"!

You're working at a daycare, with people's children, and you have a bumper sticker on your car calling Republicans pedophiles. Besides the fact that anyone could glance at it and only catch the word "pedophiles" and jump to conclusions, the stickers also reveal your immaturity. Not a reassuring message to the parent customers.

You can have strong political beliefs and you can make adult jokes about them as much as you want, but is it not obvious that WHERE you choose to make your jokes can have consequences? Driving around in public with the phrase "Gay Old Pedophiles" on your vehicle is sophomoric and stupid anyway, doubly so if you work at a daycare.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
for what its worth, I think they should have at least told you to either remove the sticker or have it covered up with a different, nonoffensive, one.
but just to fire you right off the bat (first day) not even knowing your background is what I consider a stereotype.
I make jokes about things that I think are morally wrong. prime example, gay old pedaphile.
one day this whole issue or what is morally wrong will come to an end. if you were discriminated against because you were a murderer, I think no one would have a problem with it. same for the theif, the rapest, the liars... etc.... but when it comes down to the things that are considered gray areas.... it starts to get a little hairy, and this is where you need to stand your ground and fight to the death.

them requesting you to replace your sticker or to cover and perhaps give you a warning with reason behind it would have been a more professional way to act toward a new employee. but since they started gossip, talk had time to build on top of the existing knowledge more stereotypes and assumptions which probably led to a prejudice decision.

they probably fired you because of something they thought you believed. not because of something you had on the back of your car.

to me it sounds like someone didnt like the fact that you were working there and was able to use something like that against you.

honesly I think people like that need to get a clue and realize that this world is F%$#@ up and the only way to fix it is to chew the meat and spit out the bones, to confront the issues that cause our world to fall, to rise against the things that betray who and what we are.

now I dont have access to your bumpersticker was much like the one I saw a while ago that said "homosexuals are gay". pretty much meaning that its wrong, however can be interpreted as an absolute truth because it means exactly what it says but what is implied is what most people wouldnt like.

the topic of homosexuality is a different topic but if anyone wants to invite me to another thread to discuss that just send me a U2U and we can discuss it there. I dont want to throw this thread off topic.

in short... I think you were wronged in a very wrong way. good luck with your lawsuit and sue their pants off!

~Methuselah

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KarmaIncarnate

Bottom Line: KarmaIncarnate, why do you feel the need to tell her something that has already been said? Regurgitation isn't necessary.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Zysin, you need to read the OP's comments and information. She said she parked in the employee parking lot, BEHIND the building. So if you drove up to the daycare to drop off your kids, you would NOT see her car at all. Only the other employees would see it.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
So let me get this straight...

You began employment at a children's day care center and had the word "pedophile" (context is irrelevant) on the back of your car... And you're not only puzzled over your dismissal but are considering civil litigation?

There's a conspiracy alright... But I think it involves the education system...

Common Sense Monkeys, not just for having it anymore...

Absolutely correct. At first when I read the OP's problem, I figured that perhaps maybe she was treated unfairly, but once I saw the pictures, I thought no wonder!

I'm pretty sure your car stands out because of the vast amount of bumper stickers on your car. And since they are controversial, it is natural to go and look at the rest of them.

"Pedophile", regardless of the context, shouldn't be used anywhere near a Day Car center. Do you have kids? I certainly hope not, because parents wouldn't allow themselves to go to a Day Car center where someone who works there has a link to the word, "Pedophile."

Use common sense?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I am from England. We dont plaster our cars with any bumper stickers - apart from the occasional one that states where we have been on holiday. A badge with London on it or Newquay in Cornwall. I can see that your car has a lot of stickers and that some have worn off or been taken off. Does seem as if you would be wasting time taking any legal action, especially the back window one that says something about a nation of sheep lead by pigs. 'Pigs?' as in police force? I know freedom of speech is important, but commonsense should also be used. There are many things we do to conform and be seen as professional and trustworthy etc and be employable. It's the way it is. If you think about what is happening in other countries with imprisonment or death for speaking out about oppression, denegration of human rights, injustice etc. that is really what Freedom of Speech is about, freedom to live as a human with food and water and right to have shelter. I would give up the protest and find other employment - taking some of your stickers off if necessary.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Granted peodephile and day-care shouldn't mix,but the staff handled this all wrong. They should have had a talk with her to determine her intent and to let her know she should remove it, but to just fire and not care a hell of beans is even worse than the bumper-sticker. You go gal! And we all know our politicians are corrupt pedophiles anyway, so it is the truth, the younger you see it the better. Her right to have a job was violated, i.e. it did violate her civil rights and they should be sued. I hope you get lots of money out of this and teach the day-care owner a lesson, they think they can do this at will. But on flip side maybe you should just forget about it and move on cause it aint worth your time.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
By now, you should be getting the message that you used some really poor judgement, or perhaps didn't even think of what those saying might mean to others, even if they didn't really understand them fully. Actually, especially if they didn't understand them fully. Bumper sticker humor even at it's most clever, is still most likely the lowest form of humor, lower than a bad Vegas act even. Whenever I see one, I wonder why someone would do that to themselves. It makes the driver look like they really don't have their own creative outlet or are really frustrated from an inability to express their own ideas in a constructive way. What says this most clearly is the fact that the vast majority of bumperstickers are of an offensive nature, some pretty extreme and they say things that the owner most likely wouldn't be able to say out loud in public without being rejected as a nut.

Many here have pointed out that there's naturally a sensitivity toward pedophilia in the area of a day care. No brainer, there. Consider also that even though some political types have strange behaviors, one of the most likely places to find pedophiles is places where children are. Like day cares. Some might hypothesize that you could just have easily offended pedophiles at the day care too - this is a conspiracy site, afterall. Pedophilia is a real problem, not a joke, no matter what. You didn't understand that, which outweighs someone not understanding GOP. I know I wouldn't want you watching my kids.

Some where out there, somebody must be selling a bumpersticker that reads 'People who use bumperstickers are the dumbest people in the World' and while I agree wholeheartedly, with that concept I wouldn't have one on my vehicle for just that reason.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Solarskye, why don't you and some others read what the OP wrote? She said that her car was BEHIND the center, in the employee parking lot, NOT the area where parents would be dropping off their kids. So ONLY the other employees could see the stickers.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Where the car is parked is irrelevant. Day one of a new job, you want to create a good impression. Don't turn up late, don't turn up hung-over, don't turn up dressed like Marilyn Manson, and (as was your case) don't turn up with questionable bumper stickers. It is a pretty simple concept, and if you can't work that out on day one, I'm pretty sure I don't want to leave my kids with you because you obviously have judgement issues. And now you're screaming victim. Not a quick learner. Soak it up, and employ some common-sense next time you are employed. Simple.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adea3

Well, The OP did not make that clarification until day 2 of this thread on page 11. Though it is a good point and does change things somewhat.

Still, she has stirred up controversy on her first day of work. Though I believe she is/was just unable to see outside her own perspective enough to show better judgment - a small character flaw. The fact that she started this thread tells me, she really didn't realize what she did.

Like many of us she has some gaps in her awareness, but even at 39 she has learned a valuable lesson.

She has made herself naked by making this thread and I admire her for that and the fact she has taken the criticism pretty well.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
With all respect due, I agree with your employers' decision.

Might I humbly suggest removing those stickers (all of them). Maybe its just me being a stuck up Brit but I find them terribly unprofessional.

I agree with the poster above, All it really takes is a bit of common sense, I'm suprised the OP doesnt get that?

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Dar Kuma]

I'll add my agreement to this as well. Simply to have any public reference to paedophilia in any context whatsoever at a place where there are children is just plain dumb and shows a complete lack of common sense.

Just for the record. When I first saw that picture of the bumper I got the distinct impression it was advertising that the driver was an old padeophile......and so will many parents. It's a car bumper for God's sake when only part of the message (two words!) may be read and not a politcal pamphlet with time to read and digest!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
A couple of things to remember.

1.) Freedom of Speach and expression has never been an assurance against termination of employment.

2.) Thanks to Liberal Democrats, like yourself, jokes about anything potentially "offensive" including politics, religion, sex, gender, race, intelligence, holidays, national origin, sexual preference, bubble gum flavors, hair styles, personal grooming habits, etc.
(things we all laugh out loud at in comedy clubs and movie theatres) are all not acceptable and create a "Hostile" work environment or constitute harrassment. Which is ILLEGAL.

3.) Once again the policies developed from legislation, your party has pushed for and passed has bitten you right in the A&$, and all of a sudden its a conspiracy against you because you are "Liberal".

But I guess it was just supposed to stop the "really" offensive stuff. Right? (as defined by the liberal pencil and translogic)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Hiya, shame about you loosing the job over a sticker.

The part that pisses me off is you said ou would take it off, you didnt mean any harm by it.

The only reason its not realy nice having a car outside a daycare with a sticker on saying that, as others wont know the car belongs to you. But as you said , youd take it off.

Personaly id not even watse my time with them, # them and work somewhere else.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join