It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Fired Today, For My Bumperstickers!!!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

Yes well - discretion is the better part of valor.

If members of ATS were even half as smart as they think they are, they would get that the OP has cried 'uncle' and seen the error of her ways.

But alas, the small-minded among us feel the need to beat a dead horse just to make themselves feel smarter or more important.

Oh, but do let us hide behind the relative safety of the internet while we get our jollies condemning other people anonymously.

[edit on 13/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
LOL! Nice. How old are you?

The irony is hilarious. HBT simply had questions about her own free-speech rights. She didn't sign up for psychoanalysis or character assassination.

Character assassination, eh? That's nice of you for standing up for her. However, when you post something this far against my personal beliefs I will gladly disagree -

I consider this post to be about a conspiracy, against me, and my politics. Also, I simply cannot believe what happened to me is legal, or could happen in the USA.

The OP has clearly stated that, given the responses she has received, she now sees her actions in a different light. Any more rubbing her nose in it just makes the poster look bad, not HBT.

Great to know that ATS gets off on kicking someone when they're down.

Nobody here is 'getting off' on her trouble, nor kicking her while she is down. This is a learning experience, everybody has them. We are simply sharing our opinions as we have them, and I personally believe it's our duty to fire anyone who is even possibly remotely a pedophile - or even jokes about pedophilia. Pedophilia is a SERIOUS problem and growing worst everyday, so the next time your kid is at a daycare and you see a car parked out front with the words "Good Old Pedophiles" proudly stamped on the back I would like to see you not freak out.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by blowfishdl]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You could say the same thing about the OP. Nobody knows who she is, just a screen name and a story.. which is only one side of the story so it probably benefits her anyway. Bottom line, dont start out looking for sympathy and then when everyone tells you that YOU are the one that is wrong go to whining and wanting the thread to halt.

People like the OP are the reason we MUST have laws for everything. She just cant see why she was fired and hinted at lawsuits. Maybe she would win a lawsuit and maybe daycares would not be allowed to say no to anything. Perhaps daycares would have to allow people to wear shirts with pics of aborted babies to work.

Get over yourself.. you nor anyone else here is as important as you think you are and if you put your story out there or do something STUPID in public you are open to OTHER PEOPLES freedom of speech to tell you what a dumb ass you are. See how that works both ways now?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Not to belabor an already very tired point, especially because this poor lady has been through the ATS wringer; I didn't say she couldn't be fired, I said she has a case. The labor angle of 'at will' means just that. When you fire someone the only reason to give cause is to prevent the employee from being able to seek and thus expend your contribution to the unemployment fund. Being fired without cause means the person can file and is eligible for unemployment (not in this case because she was clearly on probationary status - it being her first day).

That's why most employers almost automatically want to cite a cause for termination. The problem is, once you cite a cause, you open yourself up for a complaint, if the employee so chooses to file. Mostly its about poor attendance or some such mundane thing. But "We/I found her bumper sticker offensive" is NOT re-definable as 'termination with cause.' Any judge would simply state that the employer failed to seek remedy with the employee by allowing her an opportunity to address the shortcoming.

Again, as a brand-spanking new employee, this is a moot point. But the truth is, an employer should NEVER - EVER cite a reason for termination unless he/she knows that this is not 'questionable' from a legal perspective. The best case for terminating an employee would simply be - "We no longer require your services, thank you."

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I really don't think people read before they post.

The OP has admitted culpability. Period.

She has not asked for the thread to stop. Period.

I am suggesting that people not get so personal and spiteful in their replies. Period.

But I guess it's easier to post a snide remark about the OP in this thread rather than go post something interesting or smart in another thread.

I'm out.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jmilla

I am replying to your edit.

Being employed in a place like a daycare center comes with certain responsibilities. One of these is making parents of young children feel comfortable about leaving their children with strangers.

By employing someone who displays a joke about the sexualization of an infant or even an embryo is disturbing in itself. Actually having the words pedophile displayed in the same area is enough to lose the trust of those parents.

I could care less about liberal/republican/democratic American politics ... I am a Canadian, your politics don't interest me all that much.

What I do care about is the right of the employer in this case to dismiss the offending employee.

Sure, it's a facepalm moment of oversight by the TS, I'll give you that. But to call people who were alarmed by these things 'stupid' and to declare that they did not have reason to dismiss the TS is shockingly alarming.

Your opinions, you can have them, but you are not imune from the consequences of having them. By displaying something that is meant to shock, then claiming ignorance when people are shocked by it is laughable.

It reminds me of teenagers who wear potleafs on their T-Shirts and then wonder why the police always want to talk to them. Give me a break, you are smarter than to continue this argument.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

I really don't think people read before they post.

The OP has admitted culpability. Period.

She has not asked for the thread to stop. Period.

I am suggesting that people not get so personal and spiteful in their replies. Period.

But I guess it's easier to post a snide remark about the OP in this thread rather than go post something interesting or smart in another thread.

I'm out.

If anybody was being personal, please no personal attacks. I haven't seen that myself however, and we do feel bad for the one who lost her job. It's just we agree that she should have been dropped and we wish you well in the future en devour.

Also, please intelligent input only instead of random defensive arguments. Thank you.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Sure, whatever you say boss. I was initially replying to someone else that was asking everyone to get off the op. Tell you what, Ill post what I want and you post what you want. If you are worried about what I post you can do a few things. The OP takes little to no responsibility until others tell her how dumb it was. She clearly says it cant be "legal" (HELLOOO LAWSUIT) and said it shouldnt happen in america. Give me a break.

1. Report it, if I have violated the rules the mods can handle it, which you are not a mod so whatever.

2. Try to become a mod so you can tell others how to behave.

3. Cry and moan about it, but I will not be dignifying it with a response anymore. (this route is the most fun to watch btw so please continue)

So there you go. I am glad the OP got dog pilled. Some people need to realize that the VAST majority of people dont agree with their ridiculous and inflammatory actions. They are FREE to act however they want but others are free to call them on their idiocy. See ya round.

See I would have never had the problem the OP did because I would have had the good COMMON SENSE to not drive a car to work at a day care that had that sticker on it. Easy Peezy.
Not saying I dont make dumb mistakes, but this one is pretty high up there on the DUH list.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by shug7272]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
Why not write to Larry Craigs office and tell them you got fired because you're a gay Republican and a pedophile?

Don't let them shut you up or make you feel bad for your beliefs.

1. Larry Craig isn't charged with pedophillia so thanks for showing your obvious bias.

2. No one is "shutting her up" she stills has the sticker (I assume) and no one removed it, so "free speech" isn't being stifled here.

I know most of the comments on this thread are politically sided and that is sad.

If you are a liberal, you are probably on the OP's side saying bull# like "Free speech" and "get a lawyer".
This is regardless of the fact that if you sent your child to a daycare with cars with bumper stickers that had the word's "Gay Old Pedophille" on them, you'd most assuredly yank your kids out.

At will is something you all need to learn and learn it quick, there is no law on the books that will help the OP and all the anger and venom spewing from your mouths against these people who you all assume to be card carrying republicans should be invested in a little more common sense reasoning.

PEDOPHILLE is an unacceptable "word" to display at a child day care center.

If you disagree, then think about this:
I drive to your work place that sells burgers and my van has giant stickers on it that say "F@CK Burgers, Chciken Rulez!" and "EAT SH@T you mother Fu##King Burger Makers"

Should I be let go or welcomed with open arms in the name of free speech?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I suspect my post will be lost in the crowd but:

A: "At Will" simply means there is no contractual obligation between the employer and the employee, implicit or otherwise. It means that the employer has no obligation to the employee other than to compensate for services in accordance with local and federal labor laws. It does not mean that that you have no recourse under the law.

B: There is no civil ordinance stating that your bumper sticker is illegal.

C: If the employer is stupid enough to state for the record (say in writing) that you were terminated because of the offensive nature of your bumper sticker - you have a case. It IS that simple. Offensiveness is not a crime.

The employer can STILL terminate you, but he or she must never reference the cause or they can be sued for a myriad of other reasons.

Virtually every state in the union has an office with a title akin to 'Human Rights commission" or some such. They will accept your filing of a case. They will inquire as to the reason for your dismissal. Lacking any legal counsel some employers will 'spill the beans' and admit the true cause. They will be told they have to compensate you for the 'lost time' and they have no choice but to rehire you, after which time they will summarily fire you again -without cause.

Your bumper sticker is your own business, what other people think of it is entirely your own business. Those who want to impose their own mentality to it will ALWAYS seek to 'make you understand' that you are NOT free to say what you want to on your own vehicle, but in all reality THEY are wrong! YOU WILL however, face up to the reality that the consequences of what you say are real and in that, you must always be willing to pay the price.

That is incorrect. It is called "creating a hostile work environment", and the federal government takes it VERY seriously.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

With respect to the chicken sitckers on a van.

I would probably cry laughing and offer them a free burger to try and change their minds.

:-)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
At a glance the bumper sticker seems a very funny dig on the Republicans (who sorely need it) and not really about homosexuality or pedophilia. I think your employers overreacted. A fellow employee could help you by hinting that it's not quite appropriate. In fact, though I see it as a funny, harmless bumper sticker, I wouldn't put it on my car as it mentions paedophilia. You are braver than I.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Was I targeted because I dared to flaunt my political ideals from my bumper?

In my opinion, not for your political ideas, rather for the poor taste in phrasing regarding the use of pedophile - particularly at a daycare. Take it as a lesson learned and realize that it was your action that caused the reaction. Bumper stickers are usually placed on vehicles by the owner to express a viewpoint. In this case you should have realized beforehand that the verbage would not be received warmly at the daycare and covered the sticker before starting. I agree with the daycare on this issue. Accept your role in this fiasco and move on.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Actually, I would like to make a tiny clarification. I was parked in the employee lot, and parents dont drop off pick up there, it is behind the building, drop off pickup is at the front of the building, and to see the GOP sticker, one has to be in very close proximity to my car, enough to see the top of the trunk. It is a small sticker, to read it you have to be within touching distance of my vehicle.

Besides that point, thanks for the pov on the situation, I appreciate ALL of the feedback.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The fact of the Matter is, you can be fired in this country in any state for any reason at any time. Whether they hate women, big women, blacks, hispanics, whites, asians, gays, anything they want, and it has been made legal because most states are "for hire" which is code for if we don't like you your gone. In America, you hve to play by conservative rules, and lie about everything you think and are. Go to work, look like everyone else, think what everyone thinks, and go home and be yourself there, that's where this country is. Also your lawsuit will go nowhere, because they have the legal right to fire you for anything. Also if you wnat justice, wait till the kids are gone, and burn it down. Until business owners are confronted with the only thing they care about, money loss, nothing will change. If they wrong you, cause them to loose money. If you don't want to burn it down, start positng and telling everyone with kids there you know that they take naked pictures, that they rape kids, touch them etc, and cause him to loose business, its all you can do in the world they set up.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I would have fired your ass to!

Damn young left wing tree hugger, don't you know you can not display any type of politcal comments visable to your co-workers at any time.

It's best to keep you politics to your self at work.

Just because you feel one way about a situation does not mean that your employer or boss has to agree.

Chalk this one up to stupidity!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

maybe your boss is gay ...lol

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Now, come on. I would be HIGHLY offended if this website of all places did NOT raise just about every angle of my situation that could be possibly thought up. I did not post to get a bunch of slaps on my back and high fives. I posted because I was in shock, and felt something had to be wrong with what happened, and maybe with the thousands of members here, I could get some good advice and pov on this.

ATS delivers. Again, I can only say that I appreciate everyones take on what happened to me Monday. It helps to talk about it. Tomorrow I have to get back down to business job hunting, but I absolutely will update my thread with any official responses I get. I was on the phone for two hours yesterday, and down to a person, they all were shocked, and could not believe my story, just like me!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A less principaled poster might suggest making an anonymous phone call to the proper authorities regarding alledged inappropriate goings-on at the daycare, though I surely would never suggest such a thing...they do seem awfully touchy about that subject, eh?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well on the one hand, it wasn't a good idea to have it displayed where your co-workers could see it. It could open up a whole can of worms with the clients that bring their children there. There is an hysteria about such things now a days.
But, being a believer in free speech, I sympathize with your plight, and to me it seems like a free speech violation. I guess in the legal system it may be a toss-up.
I don't think it would be worth your time to persue anything though. Obviously you feel slighted, and they could've just had you remove it or not drive that car to work, all of which you seem to have been willing to do.
Please understand they were acting out of fear, which if I owned a business like that would give me a case of nerves. People aren't willing to not be too careful now a days.
It's sad really, because it's the kids that suffer for a lack of affection and attention in school settings.
Make peace with yourself and try to move on and chalk it up to experience. If what has been done to you was in malice, trust me, no one gets out of this life without paying his or her's dues.
Besides, something better will come along.
Rick

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join