It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. wants to stop increased testing for mad cow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

U.S. wants to stop increased testing for mad cow

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration on Friday urged a federal appeals court to stop meatpackers from testing all their animals for mad cow disease, but a skeptical judge questioned whether the government has that authority.

The government seeks to reverse a lower court ruling that allowed Kansas-based Creekstone Farms Premium Beef to conduct more comprehensive testing to satisfy demand from overseas customers in Japan and elsewhere.

Less than 1 percent of slaughtered cows are currently tested for the disease under Agriculture Department guidelines. The agency argues that more widespread testing does not guarantee food safety and could result in a false positive that scares consumers
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Did I just read that right? The government is attempting to legally prohibit a US based company from conducting additional, more comprehensive testing for BSE?

The Justice Department (at the behest of the Bush administration) would have you believe that additional testing for BSE would create "false assurances" of safety. They further state that any false positive results may "scare" consumers. I don't know about you, but I have not seen much indication lately of the government worrying about scaring people. In fact I would say that it is often quite blatant in it's efforts to promote fear.

But how is LESS testing any different in that regard? Any reduction to the "less than one percent" of current BSE tests will also promote false assurances, due to the fact that a minimal amount of screening will produce a minimal amount of BSE positive results.

I would suggest that if a beef supplier wishes to perform additional testing of their own cows then more power to them. This is quite a ridiculous situation and I applaud the judge for pointing out the the matter of existing law in all of this. It's quite refreshing to see the judicial system functioning as intended from time to time.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow. I'm kind of surprised at the complete lack of interest in this subject. Not conspiritorial enough for this venue?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Yeah, its a little disturbing that this is not getting more attention. I cannot believe that this is so unimportant.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
You see Bush has his meat flown in from some special location of organic pure beef cattle disease free @ $2000 a pound paid for by the taxpayers.
So he doesn't have to worry.
Clearly by him wanting them to stop testing, shows he doesn't mind if many people die.
The only reason they allowed US beef back into Japan and South Korea was due to this testing.
And now Bush wants to stop it?
This guy is a serious moron I don't think you could become more of a moron.

news.slashdot.org.../08/30/238223

A private meat packer that wants to test all of its beef for the disease, and the USDA, which controls access to the test kits and just won an appeals court ruling that the government has the authority to block testing above and beyond the 1% the agency performs. Creekstone Farms Premium Beef sought to test 100% of its beef, in order to reassure its export markets, especially Japan and South Korea, that its beef is safe. Large meat packers opposed any such private testing, because they feared they would be forced into 100% testing and would have to raise prices. The appeals court ruled, 2 to 1, that under a 1913 law, test kits that are used only after an animal is killed still constitute "diagnosis" and "treatment" — this for a disease that has no treatment and is 100% fatal — and therefore fall under the USDA's authority to regulate.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
And more of the insane lunacy by the Bush Nazi's.

www.reuters.com...

By Charles Abbott

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Agriculture Department is within bounds to bar meatpackers from testing slaughter cattle for mad cow disease, a U.S. Court of Appeals panel said in a 2-1 ruling on Friday.

Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC, a small Arkansas packer, filed suit on March 23, 2006, to gain access to mad-cow test kits. It said it wanted to test every animal at its plant to assure foreign buyers that the meat was safe to eat.

Three U.S. cases of mad cow disease, a fatal neurological infection, have been reported, the last in March 2006. People can contract a human version of the disease by eating infected meats. Most nations banned U.S. beef after the first case, in December 2003, but trade has been restored for the most part.

In a 25-page ruling, Appellate Judges Karen Henderson and Judith Rogers said USDA has authority under the 1913 Virus-Serum-Toxin Act to prevent sale of mad-cow test kits to meatpackers. USDA interprets the law to control products for "prevention, diagnosis, management or care of diseases of animals."

David Sentelle, chief judge of the District of Columbia appeals circuit, dissented from the decision. He said USDA "exceeds the bounds of reasonableness" for a law enacted to prevent the sale of ineffective animal medicine.

USDA allows the mad-cow test kits to be sold only to laboratories that it approves. It says the tests should not be used as a marketing tool and the cattle that comprise the bulk of the meat supply are too young to be tested reliably.

Two large export markets, Japan and South Korea, accept beef only from younger U.S. cattle. Mad cow is found mostly in older cattle. Its incubation period is two to eight years.

Creekstone said it lost $200,000 a day due to reduced U.S. beef exports when it filed its lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Time of day and whos on matters, throw a post up again daytime...

Aside from that

Mad Cow is singularly a huge problem, it's directly linked to Alzhiemers disease, Alzheimers may not have even existed prior to prions (say that 10 times fast to test for prion disease)

There are more prion diseases than just mad cow too.. it's a very serious problem and it would wreck the US beef industry if it really was looked into.

Funny you wrote this because I had a meat craving tonight and Bought Organic Bison for Burgers, Only meat approved by the Heart association as it has Omega 3 fatty acids and is ranked with Salmon, I usually find it, free range, non antibiotic and hormone free too

I t was like 6.00 for 2 burgers but considering the option...well worth it

Aside from that, I think somehow the animals you eat really do affect your spirit (probably all biology) but regardless... Eat Cow become like a cow I think is a very true statement, eat pig, become like a pig

I've taken to eating odd foods lately to avoid mass consumption effects on food sources, animals raissed badly, standing in their own feces and all that

Ostritch, Buffalo, Rabbit

I have had all three in the last 30 days, (eggs for the ostritch)

Rabbit I can barely tell apart from chicken, Buffalo is not very different from cow but it is a bit sweeter and cooks a little faster

I also noticed it is digesting alot faster too

anyway, prions are a major issue, people need to be aware, you can live without most else but your brain, i take the matter very seriously

Cheep meat is the biggest problem, I won't go near Bar S or any processsed anything, I have seen a Bar S plant in texas, could smell it for miles, hundreds of cows standing in their own crap, immobile... there's your prions, also fed feed from their pals body parts and...

It's like the Matrix for cows... it's disgusting

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

I did a thread on Creekstone Farms a few years back here on ATS and how they wanted to test all their cattle and the USDA wouldn't let them. The Agriculture Department even threatened criminal prosecution if Creekstone did the tests.

It's absolutely mind boggling to me this is still going on. The link in my thread a few years ago was from a local news station where I live. I checked the link but the story no longer exist. But it was almost and exact duplicate of this story.

Then it was 1% tested and looks like it still is. To put it in perspective if 35 million cattle are slaughtered only 350,000 are tested. Out of 35 million!

Here's the link to that thread if any are interested. It didn't go very far. Seems it wasn't important enough then either.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Simon_Boudreaux]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
truth be told they don't want to find what they all ready know..beef as well as chickens are full of diseases and people would panic if they new how bad they are....

top topics

join