It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World CO2 levels at record high, scientists warn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

World CO2 levels at record high, scientists warn

www.guardian.co.uk

he concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has reached a record high, according to new figures that renew fears that climate change could begin to slide out of control.

Scientists at the Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii say that CO2 levels in the atmosphere now stand at 387 parts per million (ppm), up almost 40% since the industrial revolution and the highest for at least the last 650,000 years.

The figures, published by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well folks in a world that has seen one major natural disaster after another, and now with the possibility of run away climate change or global warming, we have only seen the beginning.

We are in very uncharted areas with Co2 being at this level.

They state that the Earth might be having problems absorbing these amounts of co2 or is it the extra output from India and China adding to our total level.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just thought I'd mention that we're now in a cooling trend (from 06 until now, average temperatures have been going down). Also, the rest of the solar system is undergoing "climate" change, so its most of all outside of our sphere of influence. That said, we're definitely damaging the biosphere with pollution, but C02 is easily balanced by plants oxygen production. We should be more concerned with fluoride and electromagnetic pollution at this time, because this will impact plant life over a much longer period.. if we don't have plants to scrub the C02 and produce more oxygen, then we are in trouble. I believe the plant life is going to quickly evolve to be hardier in terms of thriving in a soup of EMF. Fluoride of course, is toxic regardless. I haven't heard of any organisms with any sort of built in defense mechanism to fluoride.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Funny this post came up.. I've been having trouble breathing all day.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
That's BS. The CO2 levels are not an at a all time high...

That's funny. The all-time highs were when the plants were the kings of the planet back at the beginning of the life on earth. They created oxygen, which was ``at an all time high``... they brought a new gas to the atmosphere! Plants were bad! The planet must NEVER change ANYTHING or it's pollution! BAD PLANTS!!!

Those scientists should STFU.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
That's BS. The CO2 levels are not an at a all time high...

I'm assuming they meant a record high for this modern era they did quite clearly post this as well:

up almost 40% since the industrial revolution and the highest for at least the last 650,000 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That's funny. The all-time highs were when the plants were the kings of the planet back at the beginning of the life on earth. They created oxygen, which was ``at an all time high``... they brought a new gas to the atmosphere! Plants were bad! The planet must NEVER change ANYTHING or it's pollution! BAD PLANTS!!!

Those scientists should STFU.

You are the only one stating anything about "all time high"

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Supposedly CO2 levels are rising year on year - so shouldn't they hit a record (modern time) high every year? The graphs all show that to be the case ....

It's a bit like saying I've reached a record age this year, now being the oldest I've ever been since I was born.

Of course, temperature are not at a record high ..... well, except in parts of the UK at the moment where it's more like August than May

new topics

top topics

join