It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open carry in PA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AlBeMet

I get it and I assumed as such but it just makes no sense that they wouldn't make it clear unless they want to purposely keep it that way. It makes me wonder if they didn't word it so as to have a leg up in future prosecution cases.

In fact it could easily be rectified by merely changing the definition of "open carry" to include the word "loaded". I am becoming more and more convinced that they prefer confusion.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

Sorry to get off on the wrong foot with you. I get touchy when someone says that he govt. hasn't given us the right to do something as it appeared you had posted.

No I am not for anarchy in the least bit. I do believe that the power rests in the people, not those we vote into office. "We the people" is how this nation was founded and should remain.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
"We the people" is how this nation was founded and should remain.

I 100% agree.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

I totally agree with the person who just wrote this. I actually just found out today (6/24/08) that someone I used to know was involved in the O.C. Buffet, PA incident and I am in absolute shock. I would be a very concerned citizen and would have done the same thing. I would have definitely dialed 911 from my cellphone. A family restaurant, in my opinion, is no place to bring a weapon-especially a gun. What is this world coming to? We don't live in a country where we need to feel threatened to walk into a public place without being injured--let alone a family restaurant that I frequent with my children. I teach my children that guns can be very unsafe if not locked up or taught how to hunt after a hunter safety course. This was totally wrong, even though I know the group was and is trying to make a point. Who's to say that an accident with one of the guns took place that day? What are we teaching our children?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

We are teaching responsible gun ownership. We are educating the public such as you. A holstered weapon even loaded is a safe weapon. Guns don't just go off, people do. I would rather see open carry than concealed. Most that o.c. are law abiding citizens. Iam sure a thief would think twice before going into a place where someone was o.c. I am also sure that someone that is bent on mass murder would not attempt one there as well.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

edit for atrocious spelling and grammer

[edit on 24-6-2008 by reluctantpawn]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I am LTC. I own three hand guns. I keep all three loaded and in a safe place but easily accessible if the need would arise to use one. I am also an advocate of OC. I believe that if I am in a mall or restaurant I have the right to defend myself and my family and anyone else who might be in danger of being shot by some thug looking to steal 50 cents. And, make no mistake, some of them will kill you for 50 cents. I agree that there are some people who carry firearms and do not have the training to handle them properly, but I think they are few and far between. I am a Viet Nam veteran and am well versed in handling a fire arm.
One day a week I take our churches collection, thousands of dollars, to a bank. I carry a weapon. One day a week I volunteer at our churches bingo, again handling thousands of dollars. I carry a weapon. If someone wants to try to take it from me, well God pity them! I won't hesitate to shoot. But I don't go around brandishing my weapons. I carry them discreetly. I realize that the chance of ever having to use my weapon are slim to none but if the need ever occurs I won't hesitate. And in the off chance I might save someone's life, it might make the naysayers a little more appreciative of us. Just as I did in Viet Nam, I am willing to risk my life to save another. Carrying a gun just gives me a little more advantage. I don't do it to be macho, I don't do it to be manly. I do it, again in the off chance, that if the need arises, I am able to protect my family and friends and anyone else who needs to be protected. What we need is more unity. What we need is more people to understand our cause. We are not the bad guys. If you see someone carrying a weapon I am sure he would not be insulted if you asked him why. He or she would probably tell you the same thing I just did. To protect inoccent people from those who might harm them. Thanks for allowing me to say my piece and God Bless.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I get a chuckle out of this type of post and story in the news.

I am aware of the concept that many police get nervous around an armed citizen. I dont necessarily agree. I also know that the local consabularly are not the people to be entrusted as custodians of the Rights of the People as they work off of regulations which are so often contrary to the public's rights.

Open Carry was enacted in the last couple of years here in Virginia. A incident occured in like manner as that described in Pennsylvania but with a much more civil outcome in a family resteraunt.

While I too have a concealed carry permit I once carried openly in my local Food Lion store when returning from the Gun Club. I went in to get some more spaghetti noodles and a loaf of bread before returning home.
I was carrying my Tarus Tracker .45ACP revolver and it was loaded.
A very nervous armed security guard approached me and asked me if I had a concealed carry permit. While astonished with this question I told him I did indeed have such a permit and was just returning from the local gun club. I also informed him that like many customers I was making a couple of purchases and returning home.

I do not get nervous when I see people carrying firearms openly. To many people watch way to much televison. I can tell you with certainly that most thinking people mind thier P's and Q's when around people they know are carrying. An armed society is a polite society.
I am also ashamed to say that the illusion of security has deceived many people into believing rudeness and crudeness is normal....even a sign of greatness/self promotion. By the belief in rampant consumerism and entitlement ...we are becoming a very rude and inconsiderate society...even uncivilized.

IN the summer when I carry, I often do so in my Fanny pack in which I carry a Cold Government , my checkbook, cell phone, and three spare magazines.
In winter I just carry in my belt and two spare magazines.

If I choose to carry my .357 revolver I carry two speed loaders..in addition to the cell phone and check book.

Nonetheless..open carry is also the law here in Virginia.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Pa. Patriot

Pa. Patriot.. i like your response

but in the portion about posted signs...

i recently received my concealed weapons permit and i received a "where not to carry list" and it gives the usual state and federal buildings... and includes...
"Anywhere there is a sign posted that weapons are prohibited; the concealed weapons permit does not supper cede those warnings"

this is from the Montgomery county sheriff's office.. please clarify
C

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
In my experience, in PA, until you get up in the Poconos, and/or during hunting season, people are not used to seeing open carry.
(Me? only ten yrs in PA, but, been there, seen that)

Just my opinion, but I agree many LEO are misinformed.
Submitting to a false arrest may be humiliating, but'' let a lawyer do the arguing'' works for me.
I recommend anyone present ID to any LEO when asked.
>>June 22, 2004
the US Supreme Court ...upheld a Nevada law that makes it a criminal offense for anyone suspected of wrongdoing to refuse to identify himself to police....In effect, the majority justices say that in most cases it is no significant intrusion for police to request - and a suspect to provide - his name....

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I feel that open carry activists like the attention they get. Most have a Concealed Carry permit but want the attention the get at openly carrying. Yes OC is legal in PA for now. Until enuff people including gun owners like me demand that our legislature do a constitutional ammendment to make this illegal. Yes, I have already written my state reps regarding this. I hope more will follow suit.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
it's in pa., rural areas blood to carry guns because this is a state that has been most active in killing off indians, the whites walk around as if they own the place and are immigrants who deny their status, while being racist to the original habitants, these people should be made to go back to their ice cold european frozen land.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I feel that open carry activists like the attention they get. Most have a Concealed Carry permit but want the attention the get at openly carrying. Yes OC is legal in PA for now. Until enuff people including gun owners like me demand that our legislature do a constitutional ammendment to make this illegal. Yes, I have already written my state reps regarding this. I hope more will follow suit.

YOu know this stance ...even this line of thinking doesnt make good nonsense....correct???

In most states it is not illegal to carry openly ..You do know this yes???

Yet when people carry open..no matter what their politics or beliefs...you want to make it illegal?? Does this make good nonsense??

There are states out here with no concealed carry...but you can carry openly. And you want to make it illegal??

What on earth are you thinking??

Somehow this comes across as wanting it both ways...carry ..no carry....

I have a concealed carry permit...and carry both ways...open and concealed...because I can and at the time I feel like it.
Open carry is legal here in Virginia...even long before concealed carry came around.

Your tack just doesnt make good nonsense to me.

Orangetom

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join