It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay & Mason?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My father was a Mason. My grandfather was a Mason. I am a Senior DeMolay.

I have recently begun thinking I'd like to join a lodge, but am not sure about one tiny detail. I'm gay. I am in a steady, longterm relationship -- but I know most Masons are older and perhaps more conservative in their thinking than the next generation might be.

So, what do you think? Is this an issue? How can I be upfront about this without seeming like I'm trying to make a point (which I'm not)?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by driley

Suppose it depends on the political climate of where you live and the feelings of your particular lodge as to whether you'll be accepted or not, sad to say. There are gay members of my lodge, and it's not a problem. (Or if it IS a problem for anyone, they're not saying.) If some of them petitioned for affiliation with another, more conservative lodge in the same city, they'd probably have their petitions protested, even though they're active in local Masonic activity.

(Edit to add) Is there a particular lodge that supervises your De Molay chapter? (Do your De Molay fellows know you're gay?) Might be something you could ask the chapter dad about in confidence, if he knows you and your character.

[edit on 5/12/2008 by JoshNorton]

join