It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighter just air braked over oklahoma city headed east fast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thats the first time Ive ever heard that noise. I know most of us are expecting something pretty soon. I dont think there will be any warning in the news until its to late. Not sure why they would need to scramble a fighter to the east. If he was using an air brake though Im pretty sure he was in a hurry.

Here is a link to the brake Im talking about.

i100.photobucket.com...

Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Those guys scramble for lots of things .. lots of reasons.
Some jet may not have it's transponder on .... etc etc.
No activity here (philly). Time will tell I guess ....

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I am familiar with the airbrake noise on a truck. Are you saying fighter jets have airbrakes? All they have to do is turn or do a loop. I think you are maybe pulling our legs.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Are you sure you didn't hear them kick in the afterburner? I've heard of speed brakes but those are just panels that raise to create drag. I have never heard of air brakes on a jet or any other type of plane. Very curious!
Zindo

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Actually, a lot of airplanes do have what are called speed brakes as the poster above alluded. They are small appendages that stick up on the top of the wing to slow the plane down. Even small planes like a Mooney
Acclaim have them. However, they do NOT make any noise, they simply
help to slow down. You probably heard the pilot make a throttle
adjustment to slow down or speed up, thus some type of noise from
the engines.

ZOOMER

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Uhhhh, if he was in such a hurry why did he use his "air brakes".

Are you sure it wasn't his "backing up" alert.

I'm pretty sure they use those these days.

beep, beep, beep, beep

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Lol LOL: LOL,

Whats the matter with some of you guys?? You guys know he was using his back up lights!!! Whats the matter with you!!!???

Orangetom

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Airplanes make weird noises sometimes. Ever heard an F-15 being started? The built-in APU used to start it sounds like a tornado siren. And not all airbrakes are on the same place. F-15's have a large dorsal slab on the centerline, F-16's have clamshells on the aft fairings, F-111's had them as a large slab that also served as a landing gear door....I could go on....but the point is this: You are more likely to SEE an airbrake being deployed than to HEAR it.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Am looking for a conspiracy angle here, and I'm not seeing it.

In fact, I'm not seeing much substance at all actually

So - OP - please tell us what you are alluding to. Maybe then we can actually discuss it.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This may be the most trival waste of time thread on ATS ever. If I started a thread for everytime I heard a plane make a funny noise you would demand that I be banned. No offense to the OP intended - just saying you know?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
From this post.

1- The OP may have misunderstood the term 'afterburner' using the more commonly heard term 'air brake.'

2- There is no associated 'event' to which this fighter activity can be attributed.

Why on earth would anyone stoop to ridicule simply because someone is being attentive and sharing something with the community? Are we suddenly too important to bother with this? I would not discourage anyone from trying to get feedback on something unusual in their area, why would you?

Perhaps the OP is trying to figure this out for themselves as well, but because they can't provide you with the instant gratification of ready-made analysis you're going to discourage them?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree, you guys are all mean.

This is the thread you choose to ridicule out of all of the stupid, asinine threads on ATS? He's posting that he saw a plane do something weird.

At least he didn't say the plane used air brakes because it was chasing an invisible UFO.

Actually, if he had said that, you guys would probably be commending him...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I hope I didn't sound as if I was attacking the OP. I was trying to see if he might be confusing the noise he heard. Afterburners make one hell of a racket. I appologise if I insulted anyone!

Zindo

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

One of the few decent posters apologizes.

No, you helped clear up the confusion between air brakes and afterburners.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Im sorry I didnt give more info I will look it up and give exact images.
My friend is ex navy and knows his aircraft very well.
It freaked him out he says its dangerous to use and he was explaining how he probably came in at over mach 1 and used the brake to slow down as to not damage the buildings.

Im not an aircraft expert, just trying to be vigilant in a time that we are all expecting the social psychology attack per say.

Edited main post and added the image of the brake.

Heres another image of one, it makes a very freaky noise when they use them. I think he said he hadnt heard one since the navy.

www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk...

The conspiracy Im leaning towards is situationX. By the way he was chasing an invisible UFO :p

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That is a speed brake. Its used to create drag. I doubt that it made any noise when extended. That type is used for landing usually not to brake from sound barrier speeds as far as I know. It would creat a noise at those speeds but it would be the plane breaking apart most likely. That craft in the picture would probably loose the entire tail section. Not sure what you heard but it definatly made enough noise to attract your attention. So its going to be a mystery till we can find out what type of plane it was. You might find a copy of Janes referance. That has pictures of almost all aircraft currently and in the past. It might help you identify the plane and help find out what it might be that you heard.
Zindo

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
My son-in-law used to be stationed at Mountain Home AFB in Southern Idaho.

We visited when we could and many times we were out on the golf course when the F-111's entered the landing pattern.

Sometimes their large air/speed brake would be deployed - it's on the underside of the fuselage - to slow them down, but I never heard any noise changes when they did.

Most times they were already throttled back and needed the added drag to retain the proper spacing between aircraft in the pattern or to get within the speed limit for the airport.

Contrary to popular opinions there are speed limits in the air.
Usually inside an airports zone of control and if I remember right it's 250 knots.

I doubt very much that the speedbrakes were deployed above the speed of sound.
More than likely they would come off the aircraft it that was done.

The North Vietnamese soldiers used to call the F-111 "Silent Death."
You didn't hear them until they were right on top of you.

Not so the F-4's . . . Geez Louise, when they came to visit the first one scared heck out of you and there was no ignoring them when they left.

Cool though, the sound of freedom was a joy to hear....

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I just saw a plane above my house, and it turned. Are these incidents possibly related?

Discuss.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It sounds like he went to the afterburner.

Not all that unusual except:

Military planes tend not to do so over urban areas because fo the noise complaints etc. Trust me, our chopter is relativly quiet and you can often plot out heading based on the location of complaints.

Its possible he was heading out on manuvers, or the ANG unit based there was alerted to a plane off course etc. It could be any number of things really.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Originally posted by Memysabu

By the way he was chasing an invisible UFO

Really ?

How do you know this ?

TW

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join