It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP getting crushed in polls, key races

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

GOP getting crushed in polls, key races

www.politico.com

John McCain is planning to run as a different kind of Republican. But being any kind of Republican seems like some sort of death sentence these days.

In case you’ve been too consumed by the Democratic race to notice, Republicans are getting crushed in historic ways both at the polls and in the polls.

At the polls, it has been a massacre. In recent weeks, Republicans have lost a Louisiana House seat they had held for more than two decades and an Illinois House seat they had held for more than three. Internal polls show that next week they could lose a Mississippi House seat that they have held for 13 years.

In the polls, they are setting records (and not the good kind). The most recent Gallup Poll has 67 percent of voters disapproving of President Bush; those numbers are worse than Richard Nixon’s on the eve of his resignation. A CBS News poll taken at the end of April found only 33 percent of Americans have a favorable view of the GOP — the lowest since CBS started asking the question more than two decades ago. By comparison, 52 percent of the public has a favorable view of the Democratic Party.

Things are so bad that many people don’t even want to call themselves Republicans. The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press has found the lowest percentage of self-described Republicans in 16 years of polling.

“The anti-Republican mood is fairly big, and it has been overwhelming,” said Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis.

With an environment so toxic, does McCain have even a chance of winning in November?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It really does not look good for the Republicans at all. With all the retirements a lot seats are open in both houses giving the Democrats a decent shot at a substanial majority come November no matter who wins the white house, and after 8 years of bush minor, an endless and pointless war and a tanking economy the voter are looking for change in a big way.

Their only saving grace is the primary bloodbath the Democrats are indulging in.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The Democrats had better be careful what they wish for here. Regardless of who or what you think caused the problem, I think that virtually all of us, Republican/Democrat/Liberal/Conservative, believe that the next few years are going to be worse than what we're seeing now.

People will likely blame whoever is in power at the time we hit the bottom. We're still about a year or two away from that, I think.

There's an old saying about winning the battle and losing the war that may apply perfectly here. If the winning party can't perform a miracle, they may be looking at minority party status for the next decade or two.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
With Hillary Clinton playing the black knight from Monty Python after all of her limbs have been cut off... such a pathetic display of rabid egotism is the only saving grace for the Republicans.

Still 25% in NC voted for Romney or Huckabee or Paul in the republican primary there last week.

I have said it once and i will say it again it wouldn't surprise me one iota if Hillary (at least) floated the idea of an independent run... if only to scare the convention her way.

I really think that we could very well be facing a permenant splitting of both parties and the beginnings of a 4 party arrangement.

new topics

top topics

join